Sharp whine from psu: fan replacement or something more?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

computergeek22

Sharp whine from psu: fan replacement or something more?

Post by computergeek22 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:54 pm

Do you guys think I'll have to replace the whole psu or jsut the fan? My current psu is the antec sp-500 modular. Would you gyus suggest the corsair 520hx modular or the seasonic s12 550? I'm almost dead certain it's the psu. removed my raptor. no difference. turned off all my fans including vga fan. no difference. So that leaves two things. The motherboard which is an a8r32-mvp or the psu. both are expensive to replace hopefully igetit right the first time....

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:26 pm

You shouldnt really think about replacing either just yet, as you have righty said the noise can not be identified (common with high pitched whines), and yes it can be the motherboard.

Ideally you should test the PSU in someone elses PC, its far easier than the motherboard for obvious reasons, and if it whines you have your suspect, Antec has a 3-Year warrantay on that PSU, I have never had to return anything directy to Antec so I dont know about their returns procedure or if a "whine" counts as a fault. The best person to ask would be "AntecRep" on the SPCR forums, you can PM him if you want.

The fan can almost certainly be ruled out, only elderly fans while (generally) and the fans that come with Antec PSU's are not known for this problem. Its almost certainly "coil whine" that you have, and I would guess that its your PSU and not your mobo.

Andy