Will there be a reveiw of the Zalman ZM400A-APF 400W soon?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Wedge

Will there be a reveiw of the Zalman ZM400A-APF 400W soon?

Post by Wedge » Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:17 pm

Just wondering as I want to know how it compares to Zalman's 300 watt version.

Though I don't think I need the extra power, I am asking myself if perhaps it might be even quieter than the 300 watt model, more efficient, more "stable" as has been quoted here by a forum member, just plain better in any noticable, perceptible way?

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:45 pm

Just read that it will be available on March 28. You can check it out here.

High price, though not as high as I had expected. It uses active PFC, which I don't completely understand, but I think it makes more effecient use of the AC current?

Hopefully SilentPCReview will be able to review one.

Badashmods

Post by Badashmods » Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:04 pm

I just installed a Zalman 400w and it seems real nice. Has an NMB fan. However the cable length is kinda short. All the cables are similar length meaning the ATX plugs end up to long and the ide cables end up to short. And there was only one floppy power so I had to split it for my Audigy. Also there is no black sleeving on the main power plug like in the pics of it at least on this one. I'm getting another one Mon. from a different supplier so I'll see if it's the same. Overall it's real nice not too many cables, you can easily see the big heatsinks and it's compact. As far as sound I can't hear this pc at all over my fridge even though the fridge is less than a year old it still irritates me. I'm installing the other one in another room so I'll see how the fan sounds then.

elitezoid

Post by elitezoid » Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:29 am

I'm thinking of getting an ZM400A-APF PSU myself, does anyone know where I can get one in the UK?

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:07 am

elitezoid wrote:I'm thinking of getting an ZM400A-APF PSU myself, does anyone know where I can get one in the UK?
I just read this in another thread:
http://www.halcyonics.co.uk/

But keep in mind that www.silenx.com will ship to you as well.

Brumbar

Post by Brumbar » Thu May 01, 2003 3:04 pm

I agree with, Digitalix. I almost bought the Zalman, but got the SilenX 400watt instead. I can't even hear the fan with my ear next to it on the 14dBA version. My neighbor's Zalman PSU kinda has a wobble sound to the fan.