Fan Replacement for Antec SU380 PSU (in NSK3400)

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Kreed

Fan Replacement for Antec SU380 PSU (in NSK3400)

Post by Kreed » Tue May 15, 2007 4:03 am

I am planning on building a new computer using the Antec NSK3400 as the case and the ASUS M2A-VM HDMI as the motherboard. From what I've read, the case has an Antec SU380 PSU which was reviewed by SPCR.

According to the review and from what I've read in various postings, the fan in this PSU is quite loud (by SPCR standards). I plan on replacing it with a quieter fan. Can somebody please recommend a good replacement fan. The "Nexus Real Silent Case Fan SP802512L-03" is currently the top rated 80mm fan according to the SPRC Recommended Fans page. Will this work in the SU380?

For those who have successfully replaced the fan on the SU380, it would be great if you can share your experience.

johno

Re: Fan Replacement for Antec SU380 PSU (in NSK3400)

Post by johno » Wed May 16, 2007 12:16 am

I've done just that system. The fan isn't real silent, and would be the loudest link in my system. On the other hand, it needs to be a quiet room and fairly close to hear it. I don't see myself doing a fan replacement until warranty is up.

The thing I'd worry about the Nexus fan is that it doesn't move so much air, and its main benefit is that it is quiet at the higher end of the voltage range. According to the review, the fan in the SU-380 is only supplied 4.4 volts up until fairly heavy loading. My thought is that it would be better to use a fan that moves more air - whether or not it is noisy at 12V would be rather irrelevant as it spends most of its time in the 5V region.

Kreed

Post by Kreed » Wed May 16, 2007 4:04 am

Thanks for your comments johno. I forgot that the fan voltage doesn't rise above 5V until fairly heavy loading. After reading through this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=36551&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc

I think the Medium Speed Panaflo (FBA08A12M) might be the way to go. However, I am not sure if 12 CFM at 5V:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article68 ... l#panaflom

will provide sufficient cooling for the PSU. Given that the usage of the PC is unlikely to draw more than 200W, one would think that 12 CFM should be enough.
Last edited by Kreed on Thu May 17, 2007 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

kater

Post by kater » Wed May 16, 2007 10:28 am

If you specify what components you have it'll be possible to estimate (pretty accurately) how much power you'll draw. That way you'll know if you can live with a slower fan.

bendit

Post by bendit » Wed May 16, 2007 10:49 am

i replaced the fan with a panaflo L1a with a two wire connector. It worked great for a low power system. Others use a M1a which spins slightly faster.

johno

Post by johno » Wed May 16, 2007 5:52 pm

Actually, the lower fan voltage may not be such a worry. Presumably the voltage is set in response to the temperature sensed on a PSU heatsink. That way, the fan voltage will rise once the internal temperature gets hot. A slower calibrated fan should still be fine, but just mean the PSU runs hotter - but you'll still be up to the full 12V before it overheats.

Is this a reasonable assessment?

Kreed

Post by Kreed » Thu May 17, 2007 1:29 am

kater wrote:If you specify what components you have it'll be possible to estimate (pretty accurately) how much power you'll draw. That way you'll know if you can live with a slower fan.
Here are the components I plan on using:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 65nm
Heatsink/Fan for CPU: Arctic Cooling Alpine 7
Motherboard: ASUS M2A-VM HDMI
Memory: 4GB A-DATA DDR2 800
HDD: Samsung 500GB 'HD501LJ' SATA 2 HDD 7200rpm
Case: Antec NSK3400
Fan for case (rear): 120mm NEXUS REAL SILENT CASE FAN D12SL-12
Fan for case (front): none
DVD-RW: Pioneer DVR-212D
Replacement fan for SU380 PSU: Medium Speed 80mm Panasonic Panaflo (FBA08A12M)

Kreed

Post by Kreed » Thu May 17, 2007 1:32 am

johno wrote:Actually, the lower fan voltage may not be such a worry. Presumably the voltage is set in response to the temperature sensed on a PSU heatsink. That way, the fan voltage will rise once the internal temperature gets hot. A slower calibrated fan should still be fine, but just mean the PSU runs hotter - but you'll still be up to the full 12V before it overheats.

Is this a reasonable assessment?
It sounds logical to me.

kater

Post by kater » Thu May 17, 2007 9:20 am

Dude, that kind of rig would be running with no sweat at all on a PicoPSU :D This rig most likely takes app. 50W when idling and will maybe approach 100W (DC, taken from the PSU) when pushed hard. If these figures hold true, the PSU would be producing less than 15W of heat during normal operation and app. 20W of heat when stressed. That is really not much. I'd say it'll be safe to use a fan that is slower than the original one. You certainly don't have to go worry about the CFM - just make sure that the fan starts at app. 5V. Even if your PSU starts in passive mode it's fan will catch up a moment later. Of course if you ever upgrade the rig with some really power hungry parts you'll have to revisit the idea. But I have a feeling it's pretty unlikely ;)