Coil whine = too much power draw?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Xhyra

Coil whine = too much power draw?

Post by Xhyra » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:35 pm

I've been plenty satisfied with the Neo HE that came with my P150 (lucked out and got one of the ones that worked), but since upgrading my computer to some beefier components I've noticed a grinding/whining noise coming from my PSU whenever I do something as simple as drag a window, and it gets unbearable while running a game.

2GB DDR2 1066
2x WD2500KS
GeForce 8800GTX
Pentium C2D E6600

Now after goofing around on some of those PSU calculators it seems like I should have no problem, but I wouldn't doubt I did something wrong. Am I killing my PSU by working it too hard or is it just making noise to annoy me?

jaldridge6

Post by jaldridge6 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:18 pm

Sigh, it seems all power supplies these days suffer from this. The new S12s, earthwatts, neoHE, corsair hx520, fortron zen... these are all PSUs ive tried that buzz like a bee and make noises when I move windows around and such. And yes, it can change dramatically under different loads. sometimes idling will produce it, sometimes load. there might be some "buzz free" wattage ranges... but, i guarantee, once you become aware of this problem, it'll drive you slowly INSANE... because you can't solve it.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:35 am

Here's a little something on the issue. Also, you can search the forums and the internet for "psu buzz", should turn up interesting results. People suggest anything from getting an UPS to using Loctite.

viewtopic.php?t=37023&postdays=0&postor ... z&start=60

Steve_Y

Post by Steve_Y » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:42 am

I'm not sure if the coil whine I've experienced is due to my 430W Seasonic PSU or my Asus M2A-VM motherboard. Fortunately it rarely occurs in normal use so is something I can tolerate.

I've mainly noticed it when testing the system using Prime 95. Loud coil whine stops and starts intermittently when the system is under load, but isn't present when idle at the Windows desktop, running typical applications, or generally even when running games.

The strange thing is that it doesn't seem to be caused by the power consumption. I get coil whine under full CPU load when running the CPU at stock speed (with the system drawing around 85W) and when undervolted/underclocked (with the system drawing around 50W).

I haven't noticed the noise changing as I interact with Windows and applications. Although the noise my CRT monitor makes changes depending on what's on screen. It's not usually very loud and I can tolerate it until I get a TFT, but the change in volume and tone is noticeable when dragging a window around the screen. Sometimes I'll open a window (or even open a different document in an existing window) and it'll suddenly get very loud; move/resize it a bit, or close the window, and the noise pretty much disappears.

Coil whine is a pretty weird thing really...

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:50 am

Sooo you're pretty much answering your own question with that... if the whine doesn't respond to PSU load and does respond to dedicated CPU load, might we deduce that it is perhaps the mobo power controls?

Try a different mobo if you can.

Buzzing CRTs are nothing new either. Tried different resolutions and refresh rates?

BIONIC_EARS

Post by BIONIC_EARS » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:32 am

I replaced my 620HX (2 units tested) with an Enermax Infiniti 720 to adequately solve a squealing and chirping problem under various types of loads. I have a Smart-UPS 1500 which had no effect whatsoever on the noises. Overclocking/underclocking made no difference either. The only thing that mattered was what software was being run. There was no noise at idle or various loads, but specific loads caused excessive, consistent, reproducible noises.

BIONIC_EARS

Post by BIONIC_EARS » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:38 am

Also make sure that it's not your graphics card producing the noise, or that the integrated sound is not just picking up interference.

Xhyra

Post by Xhyra » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:36 pm

Good advice here, thanks. I've noticed that simply alt-tabbing out of games will stop the noise even if it's still on the screen, though it returns as soon as I go back to the offending program. I've stuck my ear basically right up to the side of the PSU, and I'm pretty much convinced that it's be the culprit in my system.