2nd PSU poll: please VOTE AGAIN!

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

What PSU do you use?

Antec True Power
20%
Nexus
8%
Q-Technology
2%
Seasonic
18%
SilentMaxx
2%
SilenX
4%
Verax
0%
Zalman
9%
120mm Fortron
12%
Other, stock (please name)
16%
Other, modded (please describe)
10%

Total votes: 447

rperezlo

Post by rperezlo » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:05 am

Sure I can stand that statement. It wouldn't be very clever for me to be employed by a firm that can't sell its product in the US and advocate it in the US (well, I think the bulk of this forum activity is in the US, excuse me if I'm wrong). I am just an extremely happy user.

On the other hand you are discarding a product without having actually tested it, and this is the second time you do the same with this particular product.

I'm the one starting to suspect...

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:48 pm

On the other hand you are discarding a product without having actually tested it, and this is the second time you do the same with this particular product.
Discarding is hardly the right word to describe my comments so far. I am skeptical of THG and of your claims, not of the product itself:

1) THG's conculsions and test procedures have been been highly dubious in recent months (years?) -- especially with PSUs. There's a whole thread or two about that right here, where a Fortron PSU, whose efficiency was lauded as being 78% and rated tops in a survey for that reason -- when their own testing numbers shows that efficiency was far lower (70% IIRC). Plus anyone who plays with a SLM for even a few minutes knows that dBA reading are totally dependent on distance, hence not specifying distance is such sloppy work!

2) How anything is inaudible at 1" away, I really don't understand. It is not believable. Every FANLESS PSU I've listened to makes some audible noise from 1" away! You are talking about a PSU with TWO fans! :shock:

So yes, until I have chance to test this unit myself, or read a thorough well-done review, I will continue to believe that there's no way it can be as quiet as you say. It goes against every hands-on experience I have had with many dozens of PSUs over the past 3-4 years. And there's hardly anything I read in THG that I can take at face value anymore. It is a corporate revenue generation machine, not much more.

But if/when I have a chance to review one of these units, and it is as you say it is, I will happily credit you with pointing out the unit to me and verify everything about it as thoroughly as I can so people can believe what I say about it. :wink:

Beerhunter

Post by Beerhunter » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:44 pm

My fanless antec..well not really fanless I have a torin blower hacked into it. But it's on the inside and silent @ 8.33V.
I use very low RPM 7v NMB's pulling air though rad then over MB, chilling that out, then the blower pulls it though and finally exiting PS. Very quiet and silent form 2 ft away. In the back of case where 2 80mm's used to be is sealed off.

Image[/img]

rperezlo

Post by rperezlo » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:50 am

MikeC, very good point (both of them) and very well expressed. This reinforces my confidence in this web and its forums. I took you being skeptic as a bias against newcomers but I accept your explanation and I apologize for my misunderstanding.

If I was an employee of BeQuiet I'd send you a couple of units to test (I'm really interested in knowing what you think about it, as you have a lot more experience than I have), but I'm not...

Keep the good work. And thanks, I've learn a lot in these forums and I keep learning, and my PC is a lot less noisy now than a couple of months ago when I started reading this web.

Nowhere_man

Post by Nowhere_man » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:09 pm

Well it looks like I'm the Lone Ranger in the Other, stock (please name) with my Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480W :shock:

Not the quietest but quieter than either of the Antec 350w units I have around. Game playing or cpu intensive tasks invoke the wrath of the temp controlled exhaust fan and it gets louder. With the exhaust fan on manual control it takes longer to ramp up to speed. I might get around to replaciing the intake fan with a quieter one as it's the loudest fan when all ofthe others are turned down.

Hey BeerHunter, where did you get the blower from?
Last edited by Nowhere_man on Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beerhunter

Post by Beerhunter » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:39 am

Nowhere_man wrote:Well it looks like I'm the Lone Ranger in the Other, stock (please name) with my Thermaltake Silent Power 480 :shock:

Not the quietest but quieter than either of the Antec 350w units I have around. Game playing or cpu intensive tasks invoke the wrath of the temp controlled exhaust fan and it gets louder. With the exhaust fan on manual control it takes longer to ramp up to speed. I might get around to replaciing the intake fan with a quieter one as it's the loudest fan when all ofthe others are turned down.

Hey BeerHunter, where did you get the blower from?
At surplus center...but I have 2-3 I will part with if you want to save on shipping.

These blowers are very impressive. Put out around 80 cfm, massive pressure and are quieter than a 120mm panaflo L1A at 7V about the same at 5V... Just awesome. I've been though $200 in so called quiet fans even ones recommended here and I must laugh at them in comparison. At 12 V you can feel air from 6ft away. That's what pressure does.

anyway heres a thread with all the details.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php? ... ight=torin

Nowhere_man

Post by Nowhere_man » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:56 pm

Hey thanks Beerhunter, have cool one me :wink:

rmac

Post by rmac » Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:03 pm

I replaced the Antec Truepower 380 in my Sonata for a Nexus 3500. What a great PSU. It has only been up for a couple of days though.

shathal

Post by shathal » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:29 am

I'm "kind of" cheating with my vote. I've not got the PSU for my new system yet.

But when I do get it (in May), it will be an Enermax Noisetaker 475. :)

Stevo@ARM
-- Vendor --

Post by Stevo@ARM » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:45 pm

For a high performance high wattage draw system that can handle the heat a Zalman ZM400B modded with a quiet fan is what we use. Can't get much quieter than that when building a 3.2 - 3.4+ system with a top of the line video card. At high wattage draw the 75% efficiency of the ZM400B coupled with it's heavy duty heatsinks allows the PSU to remain very quiet under heavy load. A cold-air PSU intake vent like we are now employing in our systems will complete the package and give you that Monster Truck pull with a Rolls Royce ride. :wink:

Sandog

Post by Sandog » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:05 pm

I missed both votes but mine would have been for the Zalman ZM400B-APS. This latest power supply has been running well for me and I have a gamers rig basically with an added PVR card. I plan on running a 3.2EE of of this power supply and the new ATI card coming out. Hopefully it will cut it.

scorp

Post by scorp » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:57 am

I use an Enermax EG495

Slidax

Post by Slidax » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:19 am

Antec TPII 480W
Antec TP 380W (sonata psu)
both quiet on idle except the fan creates an annoying whine when under load

I am considering a fan swap for the TPII

chylld

Post by chylld » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:58 pm

i use a silverstone st-30nf fanless psu. put it in there a while ago and have since forgot about it totally :)

dragontales

Post by dragontales » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:29 am

I can't vote for the Enermax Noisetaker :?: :(

gogos7
Patron of SPCR

Post by gogos7 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:11 pm

Heroichi 300AR-TP (+3.3V 28A, +5V 30A, +12V 15A) with PC Power & Cooling Silencer 80mm fan

Einllel

2 Phantom models 350 & 500

Post by Einllel » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:49 pm

I had a Phantom 350 EC in my previous system for 7 months (it ran only a litlle warm to the touch on my good old P160, and it's already running on that system, my parents one by now). The voltages were very stable but a litlle lower than my actual Phantom 500 EC. I haven't had a single reason to complain about my phantom in that period.

I use (now) a Phantom 500 EC. Their fan is on most time because my 2 raptors are hotting the low chamber of my P180 and the 38mm TriCool fan has been removed for better cable managing and for space limitations. I know it's on because I open my case very often and I have looked at it directly, its noise is barely audible to me. The 2 top TriCools (I'm thinking in buying 2 Papst 4412/F2GLLE 120x120x25 mm. Any experiences with them anyone ?) are louder than the security fan of my phantom

It runs hot to the touch (I'm thinking of buying some thermal probes and a forntal panel monitor to know the temperatures it is handling, although I haven't had any stability problem till now)

The voltages are rock stable and higher than my previous 350 EC.

I'm very happy with the 2 Phantoms I have owned.

Einllel

Sorry, I can't avoid the easy joke

Post by Einllel » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:10 pm

MikeC wrote:
I can't hear it even if I place my ear 1 inch from it
:shock:
Now that is the kind of statement people around here will react to by saying, "Sheesh, the guy must be deaf, you can hear anything that close.. or maybe he's employed by Be-Quiet!" :lol:

Are you sure you want to stand by that statement?
probably he forgot to turn it on :D !!!

Freelancer77

Post by Freelancer77 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:08 pm

Late-late entry:

Seasonic S12-500. Fan doesn't run most of the time, because of the 120mm fan in the lower chamber of my P180. So it's pretty quiet :lol:

Fact is it's not loud if the fan is running, and I'm very happy with it. Stays cool, doesn't spend my money too much, and very stable VDCs for the system.

mattthemuppet
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by mattthemuppet » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:46 am

FSP Green Power 400W w/ fan swapped to a Yate Loon DS12L. Air coming out is nice and cool and the fan's inaudible with the side off, even with the CPU fan and case fan (DS12M at lowest possible voltage, it was supposed to go in the PSU but was overkill) stopped. My suspended 7200.7 120GB is noisier at idle :)

sean10mm

Post by sean10mm » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:50 am

Other, Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W.

In the P180 with the 120mm fan blowing on it at low speed, it runs very quietly. In a normal case, I'd be worried about it having to spin both 80mm fans at high speed, but that hasn't happened in the P180 even under load.

qviri

Post by qviri » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:25 pm

Seasonic SS-200SFD courtesy of the Clearance Corner.

Lately I removed the fan grill since it's kind of obstructive. Considering cutting out the back grill, it can't really compare with the new honeycomb grills.

It's not inaudible, but it's decently quiet, at least until I get a new CPU HSF...

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:42 pm

why are antec phantoms not listed? these creatures are amazing. none of the fanned PSUs even hold a candle to it in acoustics.

CeeJay

People still posting in this old thread ?

Post by CeeJay » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:53 pm

On Feb 2nd 2003 I recieved this message from MikeC :
"You're the lucky winner of a Seasonic 300 PSU!"

And I'm still using that PSU .. thanks Mike!
It's good and quiet.

However the next time I'm building a PC I will be putting a Chill Innovation PSU in it.

I have already built a PC for one of my friends with the CP-400P in it and I'm recieving a new CP-400P2 in a couple of days for use in my brothers PC.

I have no problems recommending it .. it's a VERY low noise PSU.
Chill Innovation claims 1-2dbA (above ambient noise) and it seems plausible .. in any case it's the quietest PSU I ever heard.

http://www.chill-innovation.com/chill-innovation.asp .. Ohh look they hired a stripper to promote it ! :D

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:03 pm

cotdt wrote:why are antec phantoms not listed? these creatures are amazing. none of the fanned PSUs even hold a candle to it in acoustics.
Take a look at when the thread was started: April 12, 2003. Phantoms didn't exist back then ... nor S12s or any of the other current favorites.

Slidax

Post by Slidax » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:27 pm

Slidax wrote:Antec TPII 480W
Antec TP 380W (sonata psu)
both quiet on idle except the fan creates an annoying whine when under load

I am considering a fan swap for the TPII
i wish to retract my statement about the TPII. it turned out that the zalman CPU fan was the source of noise. the TP 380W however is still a bit noisy.

The only noise i hear from the TPII is the wooshing of air, not too bad.

apesoccer

Post by apesoccer » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:22 pm

Enermax 535w WII

I have one issue...I get an error from Nvidia's driver when the 6800s hit 85-90c, they say they're not receiving enough power and they're clocking down. Which they do...I haven't had a lock up, and i haven't noticed any of the lines dropping. Anyway, i wanted to add to the survey...

=)

rentonj7

Post by rentonj7 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:57 pm

I have a Coolmax CL-400L. I was looking at the Seasonics, but bought this one impulsively at newegg for 26 bucks. It has a switch to set it's 120mm fan to low, high, or auto - on the low setting it's almost inaudible to me. I haven't read anything about it's performance actually supplying power, so I can't comment on it in that regard. It's single fan is also of the lighted type (blue) so it may be cool/annoying to some - I don't really fancy it either way.