Neo HE 500: cables reach in P180? MB compatibility issues?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

sundevil_1997

Neo HE 500: cables reach in P180? MB compatibility issues?

Post by sundevil_1997 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:39 am

A half-price rebate at frys.com spurred me to get this powersupply (2, in fact) as I'm gearing up for a dual PC upgrade. My next planned purchase is a P180b as soon as I find a really good deal. But while I'm waiting...will I need to buy cable extenders for this PSU to reach most motherboards? (haven't settled on a MB yet).

Also, I read in some other threads something about a compatibility issue between the Neo HE and asus motherboards...but that thread was almost 2 years old. Is that still a known issue? I'm leaning towards asus when the time comes.

Thanks!

jaldridge6

Post by jaldridge6 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:17 am

will reach fine... dunno if youll like the neoHE. if you get unexpected blue screens of death, you can probably attribute it to poor power from the Neo.

sundevil_1997

Post by sundevil_1997 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:41 am

Great, glad it will reach.

Sure hope it's good power (it's certainly ENOUGH power)...it is an antec after all.

Sadly, when using a windows machine....BSOD are not uncommon, and could be caused by anything....so I'd probably never think it was the power supply.

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Re: Neo HE 500: cables reach in P180? MB compatibility issu

Post by merlin » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:01 am

sundevil_1997 wrote:A half-price rebate at frys.com spurred me to get this powersupply (2, in fact) as I'm gearing up for a dual PC upgrade. My next planned purchase is a P180b as soon as I find a really good deal. But while I'm waiting...will I need to buy cable extenders for this PSU to reach most motherboards? (haven't settled on a MB yet).

Also, I read in some other threads something about a compatibility issue between the Neo HE and asus motherboards...but that thread was almost 2 years old. Is that still a known issue? I'm leaning towards asus when the time comes.

Thanks!
Well newer NeoHE's are certainly far better than the original version, however it's reputation is partly deserved for not being up to the build quality of the original Seasonic psu's. For the most part, they should work fine though... I wouldn't be too concerned unless you have serious startup/reboot issues.

sundevil_1997

Post by sundevil_1997 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:04 am

Great! Thanks for the encouragement, and that from a fellow NeoHE owner....nothing worse than thinking you bought wisely and got a good deal on quality...only to be told it was junk. :cry:

theFan

Post by theFan » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:19 am

Do the Neo HE 500 GB and the 550 watt version have the same start-up problems of the 430?

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:04 am

sundevil_1997 wrote:Great! Thanks for the encouragement, and that from a fellow NeoHE owner....nothing worse than thinking you bought wisely and got a good deal on quality...only to be told it was junk. :cry:
Hmm just to mention, I was expecting the neohe to be quieter than what it seems to be...the psu fan is spinning at a much higher rate than expected considering my system uses less than 130w at idle. I'm suspecting the 550w version may have a faster fan at this point.

sundevil_1997

Post by sundevil_1997 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:35 am

Hm. I can't really turn mine on yet, due to not having a motherboard to hook it up to (and not really wanting to try the paperclip trick at this point)...but I was hoping it shared the relatively quiet characteristics of its reviewed brother, the 430 or whatever that was. It rated fairly high on the recommended list.

Actually, one of the main draws (other than the half price rebate) was it was one of the highest on the recommended chart that ALSO had modular cables. I hate cablegami.

ctag

Post by ctag » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:19 am

I bought my first NeoHE 430 last September and I bought a second earlier this month and both have been working fine. My first machine was a Core2 Duo with an Intel motherboard and my new one is a Sempron with an Asus motherboard. I've also used both Windows and Linux and I've never had trouble with my PSUs.

I have to add that the modular cables make things easier (although they're quite fat) and I've been very happy with the amount of noise they generate (or rather the lack of noise). But of course, I am happy with the stock Tri-cool fans that came with my P182, so my definition of quiet is probably more lenient than the rest of the crowd here.

sundevil_1997

Post by sundevil_1997 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:43 am

Heh, I'm in the same boat. Maybe we should start a new site, QPCR (quietpcreview.com). :wink: I'll just be happy if I can stand a few feet away and not realize the PC is one, except for the lights on it. That's all I'm after, and hopefully the NeoHE will help in that regard.

jeepescu

Post by jeepescu » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:20 pm

I'm running the Neo HE 500 in a 180 (all three fans on low) with an AMD 4600, 3HD and a X300 video (no gaming).

I can never hear the fan of the power supply, i donlt even think it is on!

NEver had any issues, no BSOD or any other incompatibility, despite being on a Asus mb.

HTH

sundevil_1997

Post by sundevil_1997 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:21 pm

All right! That's what I like to hear (since I'm this invested now anyway!) :lol: Thanks for the input.