Neo 430w question

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Shadowknight

Neo 430w question

Post by Shadowknight » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:20 pm

You'll have to forgive me; I've had a couple of really tiring days and aren't willing to go dumpster diving (so to speak) through the many threads on the Neo line, most of which revolve around them dying.

Anyway, I have either an A4 or an A5, so rebooting or power failures aren't the problem. It's the drat fan. After a little while it cranks up and won't stop. Solution? I spent hours making a PSU duct (should be relatively simple, but I wanted to make a pattern so I could cut it out for other cases, if I wished.) Like Ralf Hutter in the staff gallery thread, I made a duct that pulled air from a single 5.25 slot and angled down to the entire PSU pulled air in.

Result?

No change. I have the cover plate off, and I can feel a little air being pulled through, but despite having the duct almost completely sealed at the PSU end (couple of minor bits and places) it's putting out more hot air than the system fan.

I'm running an AM Athlon XP at a blazing 1247mghz and the overwhelming gaming beast that is a Hercles Geforce 2 (40 mm fan non-operational). I have an Alpha 8045 cpu cooler with an undervolted 80mm Panaflo blowing on it. It's kind of hot between it and the PSU, but I've still got a bloody cool air duct that does jack-all.

As to the main body, I have a whopping one hard drive (I know, SO MUCH SPACE!!) so there's nothing to block the undervolted Nexus fan from pulling air through. Again, it's barely warm.

Is the PSU THAT picky about getting hot from the CPU despite a cool air-duct and sitting idle in windows (It's a spare rig I use for web-surfing and paper-writing wit open office), or does it sound like the temperature sensor is malfunctioning by kicking in, speeding up the fan, and leaving it at high?

Just trying to figure out if I have to live with the damn thing running at high speed almost all the time, or if I should look into RMAing it.

EDIT: I run my AC so the room's probably 73F, max.

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Re: Neo 430w question

Post by merlin » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:44 pm

Shadowknight wrote:You'll have to forgive me; I've had a couple of really tiring days and aren't willing to go dumpster diving (so to speak) through the many threads on the Neo line, most of which revolve around them dying.

Anyway, I have either an A4 or an A5, so rebooting or power failures aren't the problem. It's the drat fan. After a little while it cranks up and won't stop. Solution? I spent hours making a PSU duct (should be relatively simple, but I wanted to make a pattern so I could cut it out for other cases, if I wished.) Like Ralf Hutter in the staff gallery thread, I made a duct that pulled air from a single 5.25 slot and angled down to the entire PSU pulled air in.

Result?

No change. I have the cover plate off, and I can feel a little air being pulled through, but despite having the duct almost completely sealed at the PSU end (couple of minor bits and places) it's putting out more hot air than the system fan.

I'm running an AM Athlon XP at a blazing 1247mghz and the overwhelming gaming beast that is a Hercles Geforce 2 (40 mm fan non-operational). I have an Alpha 8045 cpu cooler with an undervolted 80mm Panaflo blowing on it. It's kind of hot between it and the PSU, but I've still got a bloody cool air duct that does jack-all.

As to the main body, I have a whopping one hard drive (I know, SO MUCH SPACE!!) so there's nothing to block the undervolted Nexus fan from pulling air through. Again, it's barely warm.

Is the PSU THAT picky about getting hot from the CPU despite a cool air-duct and sitting idle in windows (It's a spare rig I use for web-surfing and paper-writing wit open office), or does it sound like the temperature sensor is malfunctioning by kicking in, speeding up the fan, and leaving it at high?

Just trying to figure out if I have to live with the damn thing running at high speed almost all the time, or if I should look into RMAing it.

EDIT: I run my AC so the room's probably 73F, max.
I have a pretty similar issue with my Neohe 550w, which is why I just got a Corsair 520hx instead. Not sure if it's an issue with the fan controller, but it definitely ramps way more than I ever expected. Seems like your fan control is doing something similar to mine.

fjf

Post by fjf » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:11 pm