Silenx really silent or is mine defective?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

rpc180
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by rpc180 » Thu May 01, 2003 2:40 pm

...for most people, the background noise in their homes will be louder than most noise your computer generates with these products. The hard-core nuts in here must have soundproof rooms ...
Hey, hey, what about us insomniacs up until 3-4am when there's 0 ambient noise? HD whine can drive a person bonkers. Besides, the comps in my bedroom :D

Brumbar

Post by Brumbar » Thu May 01, 2003 2:51 pm

UPS just picked up my PSU and I sent the tracking number to ExoticPC. Should be back in silenced bliss soon. My Vantec is driving me bonkers! 747 engine strapped to my computer!

I recently installed that Zalman heatpipe on my Radeon 9700pro. Funny all the little sounds I pick up now. I just hope the little whirrrr sounds my Panaflos and Pabst fans make don't start to drive me crazy. Seems to be a never ending battle for silence.

I miss my Commodore 64 days. That was silence! Of course that 1541 could be noisy and the drive sure could've used a built in fan, heh.

Brumbar

Post by Brumbar » Thu May 01, 2003 5:04 pm

It only started about a week ago. Seemed to be sudden to. Just all of a sudden it started making the noise. It would seem to go away after awhile after it started and come back off and on. The past few days it was constant right from boot up.

Brumbar

Post by Brumbar » Thu May 01, 2003 9:31 pm

Sorry, should've put that in there, heh. I've had the unit since April 9th. Beleive it was the 24th or 25th that the coil whine started.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Thu May 01, 2003 11:10 pm

Yeah Brumbar, I hope it gets sorted. Keep us posted.

Brumbar

Post by Brumbar » Tue May 06, 2003 8:15 pm

UPS guy dropped off my replacement SilenX PSU today. Got it installed a few hours ago and have been testing it out.

This one has a slight buzz to it. Might be that my case is just to quiet now and my ears are just looking for any sound to bother me with. The fan on this one also seems to rattle, but I only notice it when up close.

I'm also kind of nervous about the styrofoam packaging that was in the box. It broke up during shipment and a ton of little bits got into the PSU. Little chunks were raining out of the PSU when I took it out of the box. I want to open it up to see if it all got out, but I don't want to void my warranty.

Brumbar

Post by Brumbar » Wed May 07, 2003 8:22 am

*update*
Everything looks good so far. The whine isn't as bad as the last one. I read that some hard drives can cause the PSU to buzz, so I'll look into that.

I have really sensitive ears, so that could be a problem as well, heh.

I have to say, ExoticPC has great customer service.

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Wed May 07, 2003 9:14 am

Brumbar on May 1 wrote:UPS just picked up my PSU and I sent the tracking number to ExoticPC. Should be back in silenced bliss soon.
Brumbar on May 6 wrote:UPS guy dropped off my replacement SilenX PSU today.
Any explanation as to why it took 4 business days to get a new PSU in your hands when both you and ExoticPC are located in California? Was the delay at Exotic or UPS (did they route the shipping through Memphis?)?

And Sanderman, you started this whole thread, what was the outcome with your PSU? Can you give us an update? THX

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Wed May 07, 2003 9:28 am

aphonos wrote: (did they route the shipping through Memphis?)?
Ah yes, the two things for which Memphis is known: Federal Express and Elvis, lol.

EDIT/ the reason I find this comical is because I live near Memphis and people from all over the world go there to see Elvis's Graceland. People on the internet have asked me what it is like, but I don't know. I'm an hour away from there yet I have never seen it.
Last edited by Wedge on Wed May 07, 2003 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brumbar

Post by Brumbar » Wed May 07, 2003 9:39 am

By the time UPS picked up my old PSU and I called in the tracking number ExoticPC had already had their pick ups for the day. They shipped it out on Friday the next day via UPS ground.

According to tracking, it also sat at the UPS sort facility all weekend and didn't move until Monday.