Inadequte power?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Derek Baker

Inadequte power?

Post by Derek Baker » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:07 am

A couple of weeks ago I had what I though was video card trouble: had a lot of instability in Windows and eventually there was no picture.

Replaced that X800 with a new X1950GT and all was fine.

Until yesterday. When I turned on the machine the fans ran, but nothing else happened.

Testing today, shows the machine's fine with my old Radeon 8500.

Replaced the 430w Seasonic S12 with an Antec 550w that I already had. Now it will work with the 8500 and the 'broken' X800 - the X1950GT is still no go.

The 550 - a True Power - can't power an X1960GT when there's only the CPU, one stick of memory, a keyboard and mouse and the room temp's 19C?

The question is is it worth getting a Corsair 620?

Thanks

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:27 am

I would certainly say something else is wrong. You tried it with several different power supplies and still got stablity problems. I would start to point fingers at the motherboard power regulation, or perhaps a grounding issue. Did you put too many motherboard standoffs in the case?

Have you tried a new bios? Perhaps it is having stability problems. Once, I had a motherboard that was very intermittent booting so I replaced it with a cheapo board that solved all my problems (and added a few noise problems due to poor fan speed control). After pulling the bad board out, I found that the jumper for the clear CMOS was broken and was not seated properly. That board now runs perfectly in my gaming machine. So, the lesson here is that diagnosing problems is pretty much a crapshoot.

Derek Baker

Post by Derek Baker » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:05 pm

X1950GT is no go outside the case.

cansan

Post by cansan » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:17 pm

Check all power connections maybe?

I once had a problem on the mobo power socket that drove me crazy for months before I found it.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:44 pm

the GT doesn't draw much more than the Pro, and I'm powering a Pro using only a 120W PicoPSU, so, I don't think it's "inadequate" power, if it is power related at all.