The last power supply you will ever need!

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

djkest

The last power supply you will ever need!

Post by djkest » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:07 am

So, 1600 watt power supply not providing enough kick for your Dual-Quad system with Quad SLI all overclocked running 20 hard drives??

How about Ultra Products new 2000 watt monster??
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/436/1/
http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/05/ultr ... er-supply/

This is, in fact, getting out of hand.

it's not so much that you need this much power, it's just that it removes all doubt for anyone with a demanding system

Should sell for a retail price of $499

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:42 am

Good god... I don't even want to know how much power does that 2,000W unit waistes...

djkest

Post by djkest » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:23 am

if it is 70% efficient it could give off up to 600 watts of heat!

pipperoni

Post by pipperoni » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:49 am

I like this line:
"In fact, most household circuits can't even provide the AC power this unit would require in order to put out 2000W of DC power. -George Ali, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Ultra Products
And this:
But there's the always-inevitable questions of 'Do I have enough power?
Enough is never enough!!! RAWWWWWWWWRRRRR :twisted:

Arvo

Post by Arvo » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:00 pm

Somehow I didn't notice connector for this cable, maybe it's located on other side of PSU?

And remember, what did Mr. Gates say: "2000W ought to be enough for everyone!"

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:58 pm

thejamppa wrote:Good god... I don't even want to know how much power does that 2,000W unit waistes...
Does it actually have to waste any more energy than a smaller PSU? Why the hell is high maximum power capacity so hated here? Couldn't we all just hate low efficiency% on any device?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:00 pm

Why the hell is high maximum power capacity so hated here?
all PSUs have an efficiency curve, peaking in the middle and tapering off towards either end. Therefore, power supplies run at the low end of the curve will be operating outside their optimal efficiency point. Because of overestimation of power draw, many many people end up running these PSUs at a non-optimal operating point. That is why ludicrously high capacities are frowned upon. Really, this is so basic I don't know why I have to explain it.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:29 pm

I once thought the Mos Technology 6502, a 1MHz 8-bit CPU, was the last CPU I would ever need. :lol:

JoeWPgh
Friend of SPCR

Post by JoeWPgh » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:25 pm

Thank gawds! Finally a PSU that will power my computer, a small refrigerator, microwave oven, car style cigarette lighter, and recharge my cell phone, powerchair and emergency lighting. Now if they could just get the thing to call out for pizza, I'd consider it.

djkest

Post by djkest » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:12 pm

with my system using maybe 200 watts, I've got an Antec Neo480Watt with active PFC, and when I turn it on the lights dim in the room... wonder what 2000 watts would do?

Also, I wonder what the minimum load is for startup?

HueyCobra

Re: The last power supply you will ever need!

Post by HueyCobra » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:26 pm

djkest wrote:How about Ultra Products new 2000 watt monster??
By "new", do you mean finally hitting retail? This power supply was discussed in January. In addition to Ultra, OCZ also displayed a 2kW PSU at CES.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:55 am

jaganath wrote:
all PSUs have an efficiency curve, peaking in the middle and tapering off towards either end. Therefore, power supplies run at the low end of the curve will be operating outside their optimal efficiency point. Because of overestimation of power draw, many many people end up running these PSUs at a non-optimal operating point. That is why ludicrously high capacities are frowned upon. Really, this is so basic I don't know why I have to explain it.
Of course I know about efficiency curve. That is why it puzzles me, that people hate high maximum power even before they look at the said curve??? It's fully possible to have a high capacity unit that has higher efficiency on low load than a lower capacity unit, even though it usually is not the case.

All I am saying is: Don't hate maximum capacity as is, DEMAND THE CURVE FIRST and THEN HATE IT.

scandium

Post by scandium » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:18 am

It would have to have an awful weird curve to be more efficient at real-world loads than a more realistic PSU. I'm all for erring a little on the side of too much power than too little (mainly because I upgrade components often, and don't want to replace my PSU everytime I add say a new video card) but this goes way past the point of logic, reason, and common sense.

Joe Public

Post by Joe Public » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:51 pm

Long power supply is long! :shock:

Well, 2kW is here, now we wait for the 3kW mark. :roll:
When looking at the label on the Ultra X3 PSU, we noticed that it only lists one +12V rail, which leads us to believe that it only has one +12V rail. That does cause some concern though as the form factors ATX12V v2.2 guidlines suggest a second +12V rail be made available on power supplies that are used in situations where components will draw more than 18A.
Yeah, that guideline is really worth following.

HueyCobra

Post by HueyCobra » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:18 pm

Joe Public wrote:Long power supply is long! :shock:
:?:
Joe Public wrote:Yeah, that guideline is really worth following.
Was that sarcasm? ;)

Flandry

Post by Flandry » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:35 pm

lm wrote:
jaganath wrote:
Of course I know about efficiency curve. That is why it puzzles me, that people hate high maximum power even before they look at the said curve??? It's fully possible to have a high capacity unit that has higher efficiency on low load than a lower capacity unit, even though it usually is not the case.

All I am saying is: Don't hate maximum capacity as is, DEMAND THE CURVE FIRST and THEN HATE IT.
What i hate about it is the consumerist phallus compensation mentality that makes people pursue these kinds of monster earth wasters. I equally loathe those who drive Hummers, doubly so on metropolitan roads.

walle

Post by walle » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:59 pm

Flandry wrote:What i hate about it is the consumerist phallus compensation mentality that makes people pursue these kinds of monster earth wasters. I equally loathe those who drive Hummers, doubly so on metropolitan roads.
I agree, that said; I equally loathe the companies for manufacturing these monsters that no one really needs. In short…a product of a consumption / profit society gone mental. :roll:

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:58 pm

walle wrote:
Flandry wrote:What i hate about it is the consumerist phallus compensation mentality that makes people pursue these kinds of monster earth wasters. I equally loathe those who drive Hummers, doubly so on metropolitan roads.
I agree, that said; I equally loathe the companies for manufacturing these monsters that no one really needs. In short…a product of a consumption / profit society gone mental. :roll:
What's with the hate? People gotta get their kicks one way or another...

Joe Public

Post by Joe Public » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:07 am

HueyCobra wrote:
Joe Public wrote:Long power supply is long! :shock:
:?:
I meant it seems like a really big PSU. Not sure if it's deeper than the biggest ones. (sorry if I confused anyone, I had a bit too much wine for dinner last night :P )
Joe Public wrote:Yeah, that guideline is really worth following.
Was that sarcasm? ;)
It was. I read even Intel are reconsidering changing that guideline.

HueyCobra

Post by HueyCobra » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:12 am

Joe Public wrote:I meant it seems like a really big PSU. Not sure if it's deeper than the biggest ones. (sorry if I confused anyone, I had a bit too much wine for dinner last night :P )
That's what I thought. I mean about the size, not the wine ;) Though Ultra's PSU is quite practical compared to OCZ's 2kW concept.
It was. I read even Intel are reconsidering changing that guideline.
Hopefully Mike will update his dual 12V lines FAQ if/when that happens. He noted that "Intel has tacitly waived the 240VA limit requirement in its PSU validation program for the better part of a year" already in 2005.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:29 pm

This is for the guy who has 2 dozen AMD 65-watters dual cores folding and is limited on space. :shock:

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:03 pm

walle wrote:
Better components tend to lead to higher max capacity. Imagine you got room temperature supraconductive PSU with zero-resistance power transistors etc. It would have almost 100% efficiency and still several thousands of watts max output capacity. Would you not take it?

This cannot be compared to a hummer. The weight of the car and size of it's engine can not be compared to maximum capacity of a PSU. Higher capacity PSU does not have to waste more energy running the same system versus a smaller max capacity PSU.

walle

Post by walle » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:57 pm

lm wrote: Imagine you got room temperature supraconductive PSU with zero-resistance power transistors etc. It would have almost 100% efficiency and still several thousands of watts max output capacity.
I thought we were discussing this PSU and not any possible future to be product, so let’s cross that bridge when we get there. Point being; there is no need for this particular PSU.
lm wrote:This cannot be compared to a hummer. The weight of the car and size of it's engine can not be compared to maximum capacity of a PSU.
I'm sure that if such a comparesing were to be made, there would be no disagreement. Hmm.. My understanding was that Flandry was referring to the state of mind of these manufacturers. I’m sure that in the future, a car of the size of a hummer, very well could be more efficient in that it would consume a moderate amount of petrol, but we are not there yet.

cheers