Antec Quattro TPQ-850 FAN

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

mdearth

Antec Quattro TPQ-850 FAN

Post by mdearth » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:27 am

I got a great deal on this PSU from buy.com They were selling them New for $140 with a $40 MIR. These retail for $250 and are selling at newegg.com for $199; So I had to pick it up. They sold out of em that same day.

Anyway...
The 80mm Fan in this thing is just too damn loud for my quiet PC. I need to do something about it and I need your advice.

It is supposed to have a thermal fan controller, but its just not doing the job. Even when my ambient is below 70f and the PC is idle, its still WAY too loud, and hardly seems to change speed very much. Probably from 100% to 90%.

On my old Antec Neo 480 I measured its output air temp between 100&110f. This TPQ-850's temperature output is only 80-90f, so I feel I definetly have room to lower the fan speed.

Inside the TPQ-850...
This is the Fan controller board (I think). It has a temperature probe and the fan plugged into it. See that VR? Think if I adjust that it will change the fan speed or the temp at witch it changes the fan speed? I actually have no idea what it does, thats why Im asking you! Should I try to adjust it?

My other options are...
- Use my mCubed fan controller, place a digital temp sensor inside the PSU, and control the OEM fan externally.
OR
- Just replace the OEM fan with something much slower/quieter.

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Had to open it...

Post by AntecRep » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:08 pm

I put 850's in our NINE HUNDRED cases when we build demo systems and the PSU fan is quiet as the grave. If the fan controller is not functioning properly, that is a warranty issue. Your only option should be to get it swapped out either through Buy.com or Antec. Hopefully it's still within time to exchange it through Buy.com since a broken warranty sticker might get it rejected by Antec's RMA department.

To RMA it through Antec, open a ticket at
http://www.antec.com/NAnewticket.html

Oleg Artamonov

Post by Oleg Artamonov » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:23 am

Should I try to adjust it?
No.
It's not fan controller, it's 12V rail current limit adjust: 2VR2 -> 12V2, 2VR3 -> 12V3 and 2VR4 -> 12V4.

dgerol

Post by dgerol » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:00 pm

Hi,

I realise that it is many months since the last post on this thread, but I have exactly the same problem - see my thread viewtopic.php?t=49510&sid=930a1b9985294 ... c89b6c4372

Did you get to resolve this? Did you get another PSU, or replace the fan?