How "silent" are PCPC power supplies?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

sheninat0r

How "silent" are PCPC power supplies?

Post by sheninat0r » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:42 pm

On a bunch of the other forums i frequent, people say that PC Power & Cooling Silencer Quad 750s are extremely quiet... how true is this?

mcoleg

Post by mcoleg » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:42 pm

not really. this is pretty relative. it's pretty darn quiet compared to lots and lots of other mainstream psu's, let's say FPS' with bottom fan. on the other hand it's louder than "quiet" psu's like say antec ea series.

if you have a "silent" pc you'll probably hear it. on the other hand, if you need that much psu, that's probably not going to be too silent and you might get away with it.

Khrono Devil

Post by Khrono Devil » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:23 pm

The Silencer is a very quiet for a 750w PSU. Throw in quad core cpu + dual 8800s there is barely any change in noise between idle and load while other PSUs like Corsair 620HX which is very silent during idle but WAS my loudest component in my PC under load.

If you are building a "silent" PC there is no need for 750w. Hell even for a high end build there is no need for 750w, my corsair 620HX was very stable under QX6700 OC + 8800GTS OC SLi, it was just to loud.

PsychoStreak

Post by PsychoStreak » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:05 am

The Silencer 610 is very quiet, and I've only once loaded one enough to get the fan to really spin up to a point where I noticed it over the rest of the system. And that was with every drive and fan I could manage to hook up to it, including some 120mm Delta's and an ancient ST-225R Hard drive.

I've got one in my HTPC right now, asides from the power leads being too long, it's been fine.

I'd put it on par with the Seasonic S12 II's, with the Seasonics being a bit friendlier for most cases due to the smaller footprint. The elongated housing used for the 610 and 750 do a good job of reduicing the noise from turbulence. Reviews I've read of the 750 indicate it's a lot louder than the 610 for some reason. But very few systems actually need a 750. The 610 is overkill for my use, but it's quiet and gives me the option to load up the HTPC with 1TB drives later on and not worry about taxing anything.

I'd like it if they'd make some of their smaller units in this housing, as I've got enough cases where a bottom mount fan PSU won't work that it'd be worth a few extra bucks.