how safe is my CWT 450w (antec) with these new quiet fans?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

p5

how safe is my CWT 450w (antec) with these new quiet fans?

Post by p5 » Thu May 08, 2003 8:34 am

hi, this is really a continuation of thisthread.

I received my papst 92mm 3412L and panaflo 80mm L1a to replace the stock dynaeon fans.

The psu is now very quiet (pretty much silent), but i've plugged the fans into where the old psu fans were (in the psu).

i know the 80mm was temperature controlled as i had an rpm monitor on it, but im unsure of whether the 92mm was temp controlled.

The fans are pushing very low airflow when plugged into the psu, i'm just wondering if this is safe?

Shall I run the fan cables out of the psu to 12v?

my load is a xp1700 @ 2.1ghz, 384mb ddr, one maxtor hd, two optical drives, ati r8500le.

thanks

Athlon Powers

Re: how safe is my CWT 450w (antec) with these new quiet fan

Post by Athlon Powers » Thu May 08, 2003 8:52 am

p5 wrote:hi, this is really a continuation of thisthread.

I received my papst 92mm 3412L and panaflo 80mm L1a to replace the stock dynaeon fans.

The psu is now very quiet (pretty much silent), but i've plugged the fans into where the old psu fans were (in the psu).

i know the 80mm was temperature controlled as i had an rpm monitor on it, but im unsure of whether the 92mm was temp controlled.

The fans are pushing very low airflow when plugged into the psu, i'm just wondering if this is safe?

Shall I run the fan cables out of the psu to 12v?

my load is a xp1700 @ 2.1ghz, 384mb ddr, one maxtor hd, two optical drives, ati r8500le.

thanks
I have mine plugged into my TruePower and they seem to work fine, if you want quiet and good CFM however get some Panaflo's and rig them up.

p5

Post by p5 » Thu May 08, 2003 9:06 am

how much airflow does your 80mm L1A push out of the back?

im worried because my exhaust 80mm L1A connected to the psu's temp control is pushing hardly any air (yes it's spinning).

the old dynaeon fan used to spin at 1950rpm normal load (2100rpm max), at 12v it is specced at 2900rpm.

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Thu May 08, 2003 9:29 am

If you are not safe then the design must qualify for some kind of award. You know the 80mm is temp controlled: if the psu is really feeling too hot it should lift the voltage to 12. In general I would expect 1 L1A @ 12V to be good enough psu cooling.

But you also have a 92mm: if that is not temp controlled then it is pushing a lot of air that I would expect to be sufficient to cool a psu in any reasonable circumstances. If it is temp controlled, then see first para.

The only slim crack you could fall down is that some of the temp controlled circuits could be designed around the fan's resistance, which you have changed. If so tough!

Your power usage is probably close to the 110W 'norm', and if your 450W is getting stressed by that then you would be better off with a new psu anyway.

IMHO everything is fine: now start worrying about the next noisiest component :)

Athlon Powers

Post by Athlon Powers » Thu May 08, 2003 9:39 am

p5 wrote:how much airflow does your 80mm L1A push out of the back?

im worried because my exhaust 80mm L1A connected to the psu's temp control is pushing hardly any air (yes it's spinning).

the old dynaeon fan used to spin at 1950rpm normal load (2100rpm max), at 12v it is specced at 2900rpm.
Oh! I thought you mean Panaflos as a case fan, not in the PSU. Yeah, im gonna try to put some in my PSU. If you feel with the default TruePower fans the 80mm hardly seems to push anything anyways.

p5

Post by p5 » Thu May 08, 2003 9:57 am

thanks dukla, thinking about it again, i'm guessing the papst 92mm is plugged into a temp controlled header as it sits at around 7v (it sounds about the same as when i plugged it into a 7v molex).

i'm considering raising the exhaust L1A to 7v or 12v into a 3/4pin.

atomic, i think my CWT 450BDP is actually an Antec Smartpower (not truepower), as the specs are the same as an SL450, having a combined 3.3/5v of 250w.

from what i've seen, my psu spins the fans faster than truepower psus (based on what i've read, truepower psus spin the 80mm at around 1500rpm, mine spinning at around 2000rpm). both fans are the same model dynaeons.

dan_hxff

Post by dan_hxff » Mon May 12, 2003 10:16 am

How hot is the air exhausting out the back of the p/s? Not scientific but what is a fan for but to properly cool? If this air is much hotter than before, then your new fan arrangement isn't able to cool and you have a problem.

p5

Post by p5 » Tue May 13, 2003 6:06 am

it's fairly hot, but im not sure if that heat is from the cpu (intake from 92mm).

i've left both on temp controlled for the time being until i get fan isolators then i'll do it all together at the same time.

if i am going to put them at 12v non temp controlled, i have to get some 3->4pin convertors first because it seems two of my fan headers on my motherboard have packed up :roll:

edit: the air coming out was as hot as before with the fairly powerful dynaeon stock fans, can i safely guess that the heat is indeed coming from the cpu heatsink?

if not i will run the psu for a day or so on full load outside the case and see if hot air is coming out

rpc180
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by rpc180 » Tue May 13, 2003 8:12 am

I have an Antec PP353x. Originally had 2 fans, 1 80, 1 92. I replaced the 92 with a L1a 80 and left the other one empty.

Someone suggested getting a regular thermometer (the kind you put in your mouth to see if your sick) to get a round-a-bout idea of the exhast temp. I tried it and I came up with 39C after 5 minutes (101F converted). It pretty much stablized after that.

The PSU has been running for about a month now, 24/7 running folding at home the whole time.