Antec NSK3480 PSU too noisy - RESULT !

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

NoMoreNoise

Antec NSK3480 PSU too noisy - RESULT !

Post by NoMoreNoise » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:57 am

I do not have the time to research all the different strings here in this forum so I'll just ask straight out:

Is there anything I can do to make my stock PSU in my Antec NSK3480 run quieter. It is FAR to noisy for me I'm afraid.

If you know of a thread or solution, please post it here.

Sincerely your friend from Norway.
Last edited by NoMoreNoise on Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:41 am

Solution for a noisy PSU is almost always the same -- swap the fan. As to what fan you should use and whether you should try and use the PSU's fan controller or something else to power it, you will need to provide more details on your system configuration and/or typical power draw.

NoMoreNoise

Post by NoMoreNoise » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:55 pm

jessekopelman wrote:Solution for a noisy PSU is almost always the same -- swap the fan. As to what fan you should use and whether you should try and use the PSU's fan controller or something else to power it, you will need to provide more details on your system configuration and/or typical power draw.
Here is my setup:
Antec NSK 3480 w/standard 80+ Earthwatts 380w PSU
AMD Athlon x64 4000 w/fan
Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H
Apacer 2X1 gb memory
Samsung Spinpint 500gb HDD
Samsung optical dvd writer

It seems that the PSU fan runs at full speed. Is there anything I can do with that - I am not willing to switch PSU at the moment.....Fan controller is not included but maybe I can buy one ?

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:58 pm

No way that fan is running at full speed unless there is something wrong with your PSU. Peak load on a system like that can't be more than 100W DC. If that fan is really running at full speed all the time it means the fan controller inside the PSU is broken (that's the one I was talking about). I think the easiest way to do a fan swap for a low draw system like that is to run the new fan at constant voltage off a 4-pin molex outside the PSU case rather than fiddle with whatever weird connector they've got in there. Given where the fan is in this PSU, however, I don't know whether that is easier said than done. You'll probably need advice from someone familiar with this specific model. As for what fan to use, this seems the perfect application for a Nexus unless you need to use a 15mm thick fan . . . Again, it looks like you need someone who's actually taken one of these apart to give you guidance.

NoMoreNoise

Post by NoMoreNoise » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:13 pm

jessekopelman wrote:No way that fan is running at full speed unless there is something wrong with your PSU. Peak load on a system like that can't be more than 100W DC. If that fan is really running at full speed all the time it means the fan controller inside the PSU is broken (that's the one I was talking about). I think the easiest way to do a fan swap for a low draw system like that is to run the new fan at constant voltage off a 4-pin molex outside the PSU case rather than fiddle with whatever weird connector they've got in there. Given where the fan is in this PSU, however, I don't know whether that is easier said than done. You'll probably need advice from someone familiar with this specific model. As for what fan to use, this seems the perfect application for a Nexus unless you need to use a 15mm thick fan . . . Again, it looks like you need someone who's actually taken one of these apart to give you guidance.
So - how can I find out if it's at full speed or not ? I am a beginner to silencing but I am here to learn ! Software ?

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:19 pm

I swapped in the Scythe fan that came with my Ninja Mini... I can't hear it.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:27 am

NoMoreNoise wrote:
jessekopelman wrote:No way that fan is running at full speed unless there is something wrong with your PSU.
So - how can I find out if it's at full speed or not ? I am a beginner to silencing but I am here to learn ! Software ?
The only way to do it would be more trouble than it's worth -- take it out and wire it up to a 12V source. If it is louder than when you hold your ear to the back of the PSU, then your PSU is not running it at full speed. But why do that? Whatever speed it's running at it is too loud for you. Lucky for you, this thread just floated up to the top. It explains exactly how to swap the fan for your PSU. It looks like you can use a standard 80X25mm fan (Nexus is generally considered the quietest) and easily run the cabling to power it via molex. So, go do that!

NoMoreNoise

Post by NoMoreNoise » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:23 am

jessekopelman wrote:
NoMoreNoise wrote:
jessekopelman wrote:No way that fan is running at full speed unless there is something wrong with your PSU.
The only way to do it would be more trouble than it's worth -- take it out and wire it up to a 12V source. If it is louder than when you hold your ear to the back of the PSU, then your PSU is not running it at full speed. But why do that? Whatever speed it's running at it is too loud for you. Lucky for you, this thread just floated up to the top. It explains exactly how to swap the fan for your PSU. It looks like you can use a standard 80X25mm fan (Nexus is generally considered the quietest) and easily run the cabling to power it via molex. So, go do that!
Thank you for your input, it is much appreciated. i will certainly try this and hopefully this will solve my problem.

BUT . is the Nexus fan the most silent....? I'll check threads to see what 80mm fan I can use thqat will puch max air with minimum (no) noise.

Cheers !

NoMoreNoise

RESULT

Post by NoMoreNoise » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:20 pm

Wel well - put in the Noctua NF-R8.....and what do you think the result was ?

Near silence is best way to describe it. Noise is always an individual thing - but for me this Noctua fan (at 800rpm's) is a real gem.

It is commected to the mobo - NOT the 2 pin in the PSU. This means that my stock AMD cooler will have to ne run without a fan, just the small fanless bit under it.

So while I'm waiting for my Ninja Rev.B AMD cooler I'll reverse the 120mm case fan to get some air in the case, and put the tricool fan on low - which is just bearly acceptable for me to listen to. I'll swith this with the Scythe that comes with the Ninja - and run it the right way....

Comments ? Questions ?

I have pics if you are interested.

kaange

Post by kaange » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:33 pm

Why don't you run the Noctua off the PSU fan lead? Then it would ramp up and down according to the heat in the PSU.

And are you sure that the Noctua moves enough air at 800rpm if your system is heavily loaded?

NoMoreNoise

Post by NoMoreNoise » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:39 pm

kaange wrote:Why don't you run the Noctua off the PSU fan lead? Then it would ramp up and down according to the heat in the PSU.

And are you sure that the Noctua moves enough air at 800rpm if your system is heavily loaded?
Here is my setup - I do not think it is likely to heat up much....

Antec NSK 3480 w/standard 80+ Earthwatts 380w PSU (now with swapped fan)
AMD Athlon x64 4000 w/stock fan and cooler (to be swapped by the Ninja rev.B)
Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H
Apacer 2X1 gb memory
Samsung Spinpint 500gb HDD
Samsung optical dvd writer

I use it as a HTPC.

At the moment the mobo program called Easutyne gives med a 33 celsius system reading and a 37 celsius cpu reading. Note that I have reversed the case fan as there now is no cpu cooler (waiting for the Ninja).

Shpuld be better then - yes ?

kaange

Post by kaange » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:16 pm

I'm just a bit worried that the heatsinks in the EarthWatts PSUs are fairly small so they may need a bit more airflow when the system is loaded. That said, you're right - your system shouldn't draw much so the PSU heat shouldn't be high.

I'd still prefer a temp dependant variable speed fan as it could run even slower than 800rpm at low loading.

jessekopelman

Re: RESULT

Post by jessekopelman » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:00 pm

NoMoreNoise wrote: It is commected to the mobo - NOT the 2 pin in the PSU. This means that my stock AMD cooler will have to ne run without a fan, just the small fanless bit under it.
That Noctua didn't come with an adapter to plug into a 4-pin molex? I guess it doesn't matter if you plan to go fanless on the CPU heatsink, but if you did want to reclaim that MB head you could buy a 3-pin to 4-pin adapter for a euro or two.

bendit

Post by bendit » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:43 pm

yamahaSHO wrote:I swapped in the Scythe fan that came with my Ninja Mini... I can't hear it.
me too. :D

NoMoreNoise

Re: RESULT

Post by NoMoreNoise » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:51 am

jessekopelman wrote:
NoMoreNoise wrote: It is commected to the mobo - NOT the 2 pin in the PSU. This means that my stock AMD cooler will have to ne run without a fan, just the small fanless bit under it.
That Noctua didn't come with an adapter to plug into a 4-pin molex? I guess it doesn't matter if you plan to go fanless on the CPU heatsink, but if you did want to reclaim that MB head you could buy a 3-pin to 4-pin adapter for a euro or two.
It did. I will use it if I see that I'll use the fan on the Ninja.

C. Zoui

Post by C. Zoui » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:11 pm

kaange wrote:Why don't you run the Noctua off the PSU fan lead? Then it would ramp up and down according to the heat in the PSU.
Yes. Why not?

I'll be swapping the fan on my Earthwatts 380 eventually, and I'd like to maintain the same or better functionality of the original ADDA fan, only quieter.
bendit wrote:
yamahaSHO wrote:I swapped in the Scythe fan that came with my Ninja Mini... I can't hear it.
me too. :D
What is the model of the 80x25mm Sycthe fan that came with the Minja? Do you think it is worth buying by itself for the purposes of a fan swap, if possible?

NoMoreNoise

Updated with pictures

Post by NoMoreNoise » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:34 am

Here's the fan swap. From stock Antec (Adda) fan to the Noctua...

Image[/url]

Strid

Post by Strid » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:03 am

So how much better is the Noctua fan compared to the ADDA one? Looks great, though.

Just one tip: I'd connect a yellow wire from the PSU fan to a motherboard fan header - that way you can always monitor the RPM of the PSU fan. On my current setup, it's wired to a "PWR_FAN" header. You only need to connect the one yellow wire.

NoMoreNoise

Post by NoMoreNoise » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:57 am

Strid wrote:So how much better is the Noctua fan compared to the ADDA one? Looks great, though.

Just one tip: I'd connect a yellow wire from the PSU fan to a motherboard fan header - that way you can always monitor the RPM of the PSU fan. On my current setup, it's wired to a "PWR_FAN" header. You only need to connect the one yellow wire.
I'm sorry but I don't have the necessary tools to check noise, only my ears :-) And they tell me there is a very noticeable difference.

I have connected it via the 800rpm U.L.N.A wire that came with the fan so it's then at a steady 800 rpm's, good enough for my low power setup. Check http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=prod ... d=9&lng=en here for more info.

bendit

Post by bendit » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:16 pm

me too! and me too!