TFX power supplies

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

eh

TFX power supplies

Post by eh » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:03 am

Has anyone any experience with this TFX PSU from Compucase? If not (as I expect since it's a new model of rather obscure form factor), how well designed/manufactured/cooled/silenced are the Compucase/HEC PSU's in general?

I'm currently looking at it because it seems to be the only TFX12V2.1 PSU available in Finland. It's going to be used in a HTPC in my living room, so it has be reasonably quiet.
Last edited by eh on Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jayrock

Post by Jayrock » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:05 am

In Germany it seems they sell the PSU you mentioned and this one http://www.fsp-group.com.tw/english/1_p ... &proid=390 , which I have just ordered. More expensive, but it has APFC. Give me a week and I'll post my first impression.

/jayrock

eh

Post by eh » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:15 am

Jayrock wrote:In Germany it seems they sell the PSU you mentioned and this one http://www.fsp-group.com.tw/english/1_p ... &proid=390 , which I have just ordered. More expensive, but it has APFC. Give me a week and I'll post my first impression.
Are you sure you meant that TFX12V1.0 PSU? The spec (PDF) suggests that the 1.0 version is from 2002 and has been revised a few times since then...

Jayrock

Post by Jayrock » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:02 am

Yes. you're right, the link is wrong. Strange, I copy the address line, but then when you click the link it leads you to another page. Google for FSP TFX, then you'll find it.

/jayrock

eh

Post by eh » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:03 pm

I'm guessing you mean this (FSP300-60LD) Fortron PSU. I don't like the 70% efficiency rate, but then again, it's pretty much similar to the "min. 72% at full load" promise of the HEC.

What I'd really like to have is this, but I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to buy it...

Jayrock

Post by Jayrock » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:44 am

I'd prefer this one too. I tried to get it through a number of shops but didn't succeed. I then contacted the distributer and they said that the minumum quantity for these is 1000. Also contacted Seasonic directly but of course no response.

Since there is practically no information on TFX supplies on the net I decided to just get one. From reading the internet I had the impression that FSP gets more positive feedback than HEC, plus APFC, so I decided for the FSP. But it's a risk buy, I fill find out if it is any good.

/jayrock

Jayrock

Post by Jayrock » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:17 pm

I received the FSP TFX now. Seems pretty ok. I made some initial power measurements. Idle power consumption is lower that with the original Silverstone PSU in my LC-11m. When in operation, slightly higher power is drawn.

The fan is a bit lood, however the PSU stays extremely cool, so there's a good chance that it will work fine with lower fan speed.

One of the retailers I contacted wrt the Seasonic SS-300TFX has *now* got back to me and offered one unit. Just a bit too late.... maybe I'll get it anyway just for curiousity to see if the better specs make any difference.

/jayrock

eh

Post by eh » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:25 pm

Jayrock wrote:One of the retailers I contacted wrt the Seasonic SS-300TFX has *now* got back to me and offered one unit. Just a bit too late.... maybe I'll get it anyway just for curiousity to see if the better specs make any difference.
Could you care to share which retailer was it? I still haven't got a PSU :-)

eh

Post by eh » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:42 am

I just found a German retailer which carries SS-300TFX. I ordered mine already, now if only it arrives in one piece...

Jayrock

Post by Jayrock » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:25 am

Oops, sorry for not replying to your earlier question, missed that one...

I got mine a week ago and it is fantastic! Most quiet TFX PSU I've owned, and extremely good effieciency. The power draw under load dropped form 65 Watt to 55 Watt (approx, just to give an indication).

/jayrock

MungeonDaster

Post by MungeonDaster » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:37 pm

I recently purchased this FSP300 as a replacement for the stock PSU in my Silverstone LC11. It's currently about a meter away from me while in use in my HTPC and I cannot hear it. The fan control seems very smooth to my ear.

Unfortunately, I do not have any expertise in measuring efficiency.

Arfa

Post by Arfa » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:24 am

eh wrote:I just found a German retailer which carries SS-300TFX. I ordered mine already, now if only it arrives in one piece...
Would like to dig this thread up again and ask you how you got on with his PSU and retailer? Considering it myself for my LC04 case. How quiet is it? Which Silverstone PSU did you have before and is this better/quieter?

eh

Post by eh » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:32 am

Arfa wrote:
eh wrote:I just found a German retailer which carries SS-300TFX. I ordered mine already, now if only it arrives in one piece...
Would like to dig this thread up again and ask you how you got on with his PSU and retailer? Considering it myself for my LC04 case. How quiet is it? Which Silverstone PSU did you have before and is this better/quieter?
I'm still in the process of building my HTPC, so I haven't really used the PSU yet, apart from some testing. So far, I'm really happy with the product. It sure is quiet. I didn't have a PSU before this one, the case I bought was really cheap because it didn't have one.

Arfa

Post by Arfa » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:57 pm

Well just got myself one of the Seasonic SS-300TFX PSU's. Found a bargain one on ebay, quite lucky really. Popped it in, much better really, proper 24pin mobo power connector, the original Silverstone 'Enhance' one only had a 20 pin plug. Also the Seasonic has a couple of leads with the newer SATA style power connectors, so no phaffing about with converter leads etc. At 300W, rather then 240W on the Silverstone, it should handle a nice beefy graphics card at a later date too.

Definitely quieter, a decent improvement. Not dug out sound meters etc to compare and its certainly still audible, but noticeable quieter than the Silverstone one, no argument really.

Have compared power usage, whereas previously idle usage was 52W ish, its now down to 45W! All in all well worth the cash and highly recommended if you're stuck for something to squeeze in this case.

christnp

Post by christnp » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:54 pm

This is a great post, thanks for the advice. I'd very much like to purchase the Sea Sonic 300W PSU, but I just don't know that it will fit in the slot of my old HEC-270FN-2RX psu... anyone have any problems with dimensions?

christnp

Post by christnp » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:02 pm

Also, has anyone tried a HEC-300FN-2RX psu? I might just have to find one of those to fit the "TFX" compucase uses.