Paying big bucks to mod or going cheap?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Cheap or Big Bucks?

Yes, save the $$$
57%
No, spend big and then mod
43%

Total votes: 7

QuaiBoy

Paying big bucks to mod or going cheap?

Post by QuaiBoy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:51 am

I just read a thread about modding a Corsair HX450 and another about an Antec Quattro and it got me thinking.

I'm not sure why you'd buy an expensive PS like the Corsair and swap the fan. I love modding and also reading about the great work people do on this board. Wouldn't it be a better choice to buy an efficient 120mm PS at much lower cost and swap out that fan? True, you probably couldn't rely on the internal fan controller. In my experience though, using an external at a fixed voltage (and monitoring temps after the install for a while) is a better choice to avoid speed/noise ramping during usage.

I'd think the advantage to buying a high price supply is that you wouldn't have to crack it. When I'm building for others or giving recommendations, I usually just choose Seasonic. But when I'm modding, I'll take any supply that's reasonably efficient (even ones with 70mm fans that turn into 120mm models with a metal nibbler and a drill). The only PSs to ever die on me were some OEM Antecs and Enlights that were not modded. The cheap mods go strong and stay stable.

I'm definately not saying that the Corsair is not a HQ piece of equipment, in fact just the opposite. I was just wondering if someone who has modded this PS feels that their investment was worth it even though they had to crack the case or if they wish they'd gone for something inexpensive.

-Evan

QuaiBoy

Post by QuaiBoy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:54 am

Oh yeah, I had an OEM Sparkle blow up too. Basically, my point is that any PS, cheap or expensive, modded or stock can blow up at any time.

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:40 pm

the best idea is to find something thats close enough that you dont have to mod at all -- or mod very little.
unfortunately that usually means spending big $$ on premium parts.

walle

Post by walle » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:14 pm

QuaiBoy wrote:I'm not sure why you'd buy an expensive PS like the Corsair and swap the fan.
Because people wish to decrease the noise even further whilst yet have the best possible efficiency, efficiency, which you only can find in a high quality unit. You don’t get that in a cheap unit, of course you can make it more quiet by swapping the fan, but you are much more limited in your choice of fan too, since a cheaper unit has less efficiency it will become hotter which means that the fan needs to ramp up unless the unit are to burn. For example; I have Seasonic S12 600W with a slipstream 800rpm fan and the unit doesn’t even break a sweat, note that apart from the units good efficiency the superior cooling fins play a major role in allowing me to use that fan. I dare say that you would not be able to do such a modification to a cheap generic unit expecting it to survive for a longer period of time.

Added:

You also need to take into account that many are using high quality hardware, expensive at that. Paring high quality components with a low quality generic power supply would not be recommended IMHO.

Cheers

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:40 am

efficiency, which you only can find in a high quality unit. You don’t get that in a cheap unit,
SeaSonic SS-300ES & Antec Earthwatts both 80Plus certified,only $40-50. in fact Newegg have a rebate right now where Earthwatts 380 can be had for $20!

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:59 am

It's a tradeoff, simple risk vs. reward. Is it worth it? Well that's a judgment you have to make for yourself. Personally I have never encountered a stock power supply fan that I could live with. My power draw from the wall rarely exceeds 150W, so I'm perfectly confident that my modded PSU will retain a good level of efficiency and not burn out due to heat.

walle

Post by walle » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:06 am

jaganath wrote:
efficiency, which you only can find in a high quality unit. You don’t get that in a cheap unit,
SeaSonic SS-300ES & Antec Earthwatts both 80Plus certified,only $40-50. in fact Newegg have a rebate right now where Earthwatts 380 can be had for $20!
Correct, but I don’t view Seasonic as cheap generic no name units regardless of their price. 8)

QuaiBoy

Post by QuaiBoy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:11 am

I'm not advocating buying the cheapest PS out there for $10 and expecting it to be stable. I understand that money (hopefully) buys better component quality and stability. That said, I have modded plenty of shoddy stock PSUs with good success which I why I started this thread.

Perhaps buying a decent quality PSU, such as the Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC which can be found for less than $30 and is NOT quiet in stock form (but doesn't hum or buzz IME) would be just as good a starting point for a fan mod as a supply costing 2x as much or more? There so are many alternatives to the Antecs, etc. that are just as good, including many FSP, Sparkle, and others, that just need a fan swap and maybe a new controller (or a resistor) to make them top-notch performers.

Thanks for your thoughts. I enjoy reading them.

-Evan
Last edited by QuaiBoy on Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

QuaiBoy

Post by QuaiBoy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:12 am

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:35 am

There so are many alternatives to the Antecs, etc. that are just as good, including many FSP, Sparkle, and others, that just need a fan swap and maybe a new controller (or a resistor) to make them top-notch performers.
Right, but don't forget to factor the cost of the fan (and possibly controller) into the equation. most high-quality fans like the Scythe S-Flex are not cheap, so sometimes with a mod you can spend a similar amount to just buying a good, unmodded PSU. also it's pretty hard to find an external fan controller that will provide as good thermally-controlled cooling as the internal circuitry. running the fan at a fixed, low voltage is fine at low power draws, but if the demands on the PSU are going to be significant then overheating is a real possibility. don't get me wrong, I have run plenty of modded psus in the past, and certainly the very best PSUs are expensive, but a high-quality one can last you through 3 or 4 whole new computers, given how often people have to go through the upgrade cycle.