Fanless PSU Mod

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

tyeh26

Fanless PSU Mod

Post by tyeh26 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:12 pm

hey all.

I have a Antec TPQ-850W power supply that I removed the 80mm exhaust and changed it to a 120mm front intake. I haven't actually tested this out yet (just bought a new case and sold my old one). I was surfing the net and found this: http://www.silentmods.com/section2/item287/part1

this seems pretty promising. So I was thinking around and got this idea:

Materials:
source of heatpipes: Zalman HDD heatpipes: http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInf ... ctID=11699

radiators: Arctic cooling accelero and one/two 1U - 3U CPU coolers.

top of PSU:

I can put the Accelero on the bottom heatsink or link the two heatsinks with a piece of aluminum and put the accelero so it takes heat in from both heatsinks

back of PSU: (sorry about quality)

Add three heat pipes, one to the left box, and two to the right box (left and right of that sink. and put the 1U -3U CPU cooler on it coming out of the PSU.

suggestions? impressions?

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:58 am

I am the author of the article you are refering to (the translation from Russian was done by some other guy :)). Well, i'd say the best option for you is to reconsider about the PSU model to mod. I, personally, have no idea on how to attach heatpipes to heatsinks like these. And be careful with linking heatsinks: if one of them is live while the other grounded (quite a common situation), you have a good chance of frying your power supply.

nikitalord

Post by nikitalord » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:27 am

Also done some modification on antec psu (220 volts modell ) one of the heatzink carry around 105 volt, I did'nt think it was any amps only some leaking power so i tuched, I was wrong, so if it can kill you, it will kill your computer.

If you whant it silent change fan to o low amps and put an extra fan on fron side both running on 5 volts.

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:41 am

even if you manage to make this fanless, I doubt you're going to want to draw more than 350W from a modified PSU...

why not just buy a fanless PSU?