Looking for PSU: High Efficiency at Low Power with EPS12V

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

fwki
Patron of SPCR

Looking for PSU: High Efficiency at Low Power with EPS12V

Post by fwki » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:22 am

I am running a low powered server with a Tyan S3095 MB that "requires" an EPS12V spec PSU with the 8-pin power connector. The problem is that EPS12V PSU's are high powered and the 80+ ratings are only applicable at loads far above the 30w idle 50w load requirements of my server. At this low draw the efficiency is around 60-65%. I know the potential reduction is only like 10W, but that's another HDD. I have a request into Tyan support about using an ATX12 4-pin cpu power connector into the 8-pin MB connector, but I have a feeling I'll get the company line about how requirements are requirements.

Does anyone know of a low power, high efficiency PSU (ATX form factor) with EPS12V specs? I have a Seasonic Energy+ 550 in there now.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:04 am

You won't probably ever come even for the wasted power of building a new PSU with the saved electricity of a bit better efficiency for that low loads.

fwki
Patron of SPCR

Post by fwki » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:45 am

I have a new home for the Seasonic 550, so I am buying a new PSU in any case. It would be nice to save 10 watts if only for bragging rights. 8)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:54 am

Personally I wouldn't sweat the 8-pin plug. Chances are, the 12V pins on that plug (on the mobo) are in parallel. Just check the trace on the PCB. A 4-pin will work fine; the specs are for extreme power demands and your CPU obviously doesn't have them.

Test the board with just the memory on a standard ATX w/ 4-pin AUX12V. I don't very much you're going to hurt anything. After making sure it work,s go ahead and get the most efficient low power PSU you can find. A picoPSU might be an option.

fwki
Patron of SPCR

Post by fwki » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:47 pm

Mike that seems to be a consistent message in other forums too so I'm going to test with a Fortron ZEN FSP300 from an aborted HTPC build. I think this server could run with a pico but not much headroom for additional HDDs. If that works then the 550 goes to the gamer replacing an Earthwatts 380 that is not exactly silent.

fwki
Patron of SPCR

Post by fwki » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:23 am

As a follow-up to using 4-pin power connector on the Tyan S3095, I have had full stability using the FSP ZEN 300 fanless psu. Tyan online tech support's response to the issue was as follows:

"We do not recommend it. It usually works though. If it posts it will be as stable as an 8-pin, if it doesnt post you will know why. Plug the 4pin into the 8pin."

Mike, you were on target: no problema.....