Using Deans Ultra Plugs on PW-200-V & Dell DA-1 Brick

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

nandystam

Using Deans Ultra Plugs on PW-200-V & Dell DA-1 Brick

Post by nandystam » Tue May 27, 2008 9:02 pm

Hi folks

Long time listener, first time caller as they say.

I'm working on a project using a Dell DA-1 150W power brick and PW-200-V to power an AM2 System based on the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H. I haven't decided on a particular AM2 CPU as yet, but I expect to be using a 3.5" SATA HDD as well.

I know the 150W Brick will drive this no problem, but my main concern is the power plugs on the Dell Brick and PW-200-V. I've read the guides here on how to snip the plug off the DA-1 and wire them up into another connector, so I've no problem there.

My main query is the choice of connector. In a previous project I used a 2-pin "heavy duty" power plug that I can't seem to source any more, so I am looking at using the Deans Ultra plugs, the same ones used in Remote Controlled cars and helicopters. These are rated up to 100A, I assume they will be OK for my needs?

My other query is - should I take the 3 +ve / -ve wires from the Dell brick and either splicing them into two wires (one each for +ve and -ve) and then onto the +ve / -ve terminals on the Deans, or just wire them all directly on to the +ve and -ve Deans terminals directly?

Thanks in advance for your input. This site has given me stacks of info on how to do some really neat things with SFF computers.

:)

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Re: Using Deans Ultra Plugs on PW-200-V & Dell DA-1 Bric

Post by ryboto » Wed May 28, 2008 6:11 am

If the DA-1 is similar in circuitry to the DA-2, you might have trouble with your PW-200. I've tried the DA-2(220W version of the same power supply) and PW-200's have issues starting it up. It just shuts off. The PicoPSU works fine with the brick, but other users have had the same problem. As for connecting the brick to the PW-200, you could use the method myself and at least one other member have tried, check the link in my sig to my old system, and look at this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=38787&highlight=nsk1300

The Dell brick uses a pin configuration that fits perfectly into a PCIE 6pin connector, just make sure you ground the "on" jumper. Right now I'm actually powering my system using a PW-200-M and the 12v from the PCIE connector of an ATX power supply.

nandystam

Post by nandystam » Thu May 29, 2008 1:39 am

Thanks for the info, I've looked at the connector on my DA-1 and it's completely different to the DA-2.

(Apologies for the massive picture)

Pretty sure my last DA-1 had the same connector as well. So I snipped it and used the heavy duty plugs I mentioned in the first post. A pity - as using a PCI-E connector would've been a simple yet fantastic idea.

I've used a PW-200-V in an earlier project with a Asus M2NPV-VM, AM2 CPU, and DA-1 brick and had no worries with startup or reliability problems. Maybe there are subtle differences between the two bricks that the PW-200 can't handle?

So I'm still stick with a connector type to use. I guess I could still mate a PCIe connector onto the end of the brick, but then that leaves with the option of finding something to mate it to. Obviously you can desolder an ATX power socket and cut it up like the eitheta did in that thread. I tossed out some old motherboards recently so I probably lost a good opportunity there.

Do you think the deans plugs could still work ok? I'm assuming because their used in RC cars and so on which have 12V high current demands they should be ok, but I'd rather check before I make a costly mistake :)

Ultimately, they should be much better than any of those regular barrel plugs?

mark314
Friend of SPCR

Post by mark314 » Thu May 29, 2008 10:13 am

I have also used the PW200V and Dell 200W brick (Y2515) to great success with an Asus P5E-VM mother board.

I would suggest that you design your plug to match the output of the power brick. For me, that was, a 200W power brick outputs 18A at 12V. Since the power brick had an 8pin connector (3x +12V, 3x ground), I just had to make sure that the trio of pins could together support 18A. That's 6A each, which is well within the ATX spec. So I used an ATX12V molex connector from an old motherboard.

In your case, you are outputting 150W - which is a maximum of say 14A at 12V. So I would just ensure that you either use a plug that has 3x 12V and 3x ground pins (6 or more pins total) and ensure the plugs are rated at 6A each, or use a 2 pin plug and ensure that each pin supports 15A.

I would be concerned about a 2 pin plug that supports 100A. According to this AWG chart, ( http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm ), 100A current carrying power equates to a wire gauge of 6, and a copper wire diameter of 1/10 inch. That is a thick wire and it won't flex very well. The plug may be okay, but what to do once you have to attach a single wire to each pin? You will need very thick, unwieldy, inflexible wire, and you will need to solder and heatshrink it - not so easy to do.

In my experience, use 3 wires if you can, as you can use 6A, 22AWG, 0.025inch wires. That increases flexibility, which reduces stress on your system, which will keep your plug from breaking. Remember you will have to route wires inside your chassis, and also ensure that your power brick is firmly attached and not bending. All that is easier to do when you have thinner wires.

|Romeo|

Post by |Romeo| » Thu May 29, 2008 2:09 pm

A Deans connector is probably OK, they are rated quite highly, and the failure case is that the connector melts if they don't handle the current

kma
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kma » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:13 pm

nandystam wrote: I'm working on a project using a Dell DA-1 150W power brick and PW-200-V to power an AM2 System based on the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H.
How did it turn out? I'm building a system using the same board (GA-MA78GM-SH2).
As I expected I need to replace the PSU that came with my case, and that Dell 150W with a PW-200-V is a strong contender. My option is a mCubed HFX Mini EF16 165W. (It's easier to get hold of.)
I'm very interested to hear your experiences. Does the board, brick and PW-200 work well together?

nandystam

Post by nandystam » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:33 pm

kma wrote:
nandystam wrote: I'm working on a project using a Dell DA-1 150W power brick and PW-200-V to power an AM2 System based on the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H.
How did it turn out? I'm building a system using the same board (GA-MA78GM-SH2).
As I expected I need to replace the PSU that came with my case, and that Dell 150W with a PW-200-V is a strong contender. My option is a mCubed HFX Mini EF16 165W. (It's easier to get hold of.)
I'm very interested to hear your experiences. Does the board, brick and PW-200 work well together?
Haven't gotten far, been doing a lot of bodywork on the case and not much work on the internals :lol:

I have all the parts except a CPU to test the board with. I should have one fairly shortly so I will let you know how I fare.

Cheers

grebe925

Post by grebe925 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:55 am

nandystam wrote:Thanks for the info, I've looked at the connector on my DA-1 and it's completely different to the DA-2.

(Apologies for the massive picture)

Pretty sure my last DA-1 had the same connector as well. So I snipped it and used the heavy duty plugs I mentioned in the first post. A pity - as using a PCI-E connector would've been a simple yet fantastic idea.
Do you have the pin-out for the DA-1 connector? I searched the forums and couldn't find it explained (googling didn't help either). I've picked up one to use if the fan on the 120W adapter for the picopsu is too loud.