Replacing FAN of zalman ZM600 with seasonic one ok?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

bumthology
Friend of SPCR

Replacing FAN of zalman ZM600 with seasonic one ok?

Post by bumthology » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:43 am

Hi
Just wondering if its a good idea to move my 430W seasonic fan to a 600W Zalman i'm getting. Reason i'm moving to the 600W is because its modular and my computer atm and I've had suggestions to, (lots of HD's, FANs, 8800GT, q6600.. etc). Also the 600W is second hand.

The SPCR review of the zalman isnt so great, so is it better to replace the fan?
thanks

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:12 am

Yes and no.

While the Seasonics are highly recommended here, the fan controller is what makes the PSU so quiet. Moreso than the fan anyway. Swapping the Seasonic (Adda) fan into the Zalman may make it slightly quieter at VERY low voltages (Zalman's fans are always a little buzzy). However the Zalman is rated poorly because it's fan controller runs it's fan too fast to start and ramps it up to quickly. The same would be the case for the ADDA fan.

You could always trust to your own judgment and control the PSU fan yourself, but this can get pretty risky with a high-powered system.

FWIW, modular PSUs are not a cure for sloppy cable management skills. You need to really plan out your layout and work around the cables of a good non-modular PSU than switch to a not-so-good modular PSU. In other words, do better cable management and keep the Seasonic.

bumthology
Friend of SPCR

Post by bumthology » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:49 am

damn
so i should keep my 430w?
I think my 430 watt PSU is working harder than it should be, thats why my computers been louder ever since i upgraded it.

I will, however do a test (just turning the PSU on) on the Zalman, and compare it to how the Seasonic is. Hoping maybe SPCR had a bad sample, because from 3 other people i know who have the Zalman, they say its inaudible. But then again, they're not quiet PC fanatics like i am.