New CoolerMaster Silent Pro series <16 dBA noise!

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

CocoBryce

New CoolerMaster Silent Pro series <16 dBA noise!

Post by CocoBryce » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:59 am

If the numbers are right, then this has got to be one of the quietest psu's out there. There are only a few reviews on the web and neither of them feature an adequate testing of the noise; they stated though that this psu was inaudible.

I was going to buy the 550vx from corsair and I came across this one. It is modular and acording to the specs it is more quiet. It is a bit more expensive. What do you guys think?

http://www.coolermaster.com/products/pr ... il&id=4196

Elvellon

Post by Elvellon » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:15 pm

According to the specs on the site, it uses a 135 mm fan that stays at about 600-650 rpm at 0-300W (what ambient temperature?).
Looking at recent SPCR reviews, the reference 120 mm sleeve bearing fan measures 16 dBA@1m at 780 rpm.

Considering that it's probably a ball bearing fan and that 135 mm is louder than 120 mm at equal speeds, it's louder than it's advertised.
However, looking at its specs it should be fairly good and quiet at most loads.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:20 pm

i can't see <16dBA claim on the product page you linked; where is it from? fan speed curve is good, <1000rpm even at max load.

CocoBryce

Post by CocoBryce » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:36 pm

Here is the quote from coolermaster:
Noise pollution is an escalating problem in both the home and office. Combined with the increased demand for media-centric PCs, total noise generation is becoming a major focus for computing enthusiasts. As a leader in PC power supplies, the engineering minds at Cooler Master have developed the Silent Pro Series. Featuring a superior thermal solution, a highly efficient circuit design, and value-added accessories, the Silent Pro Series and its "silent formula" set a new standard in silent computing, generating a noise level of less than 16 dBA.
Link: http://www.coolermaster.com/news/hotnew ... 08&id=5207

allwinner

Post by allwinner » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:41 pm

If the claims about this product are as inaccurate as the claims made by Cooler Master regarding the noise levels of its Cooler Master Real Power 850w PSU (model: RS-850-EMBA), I'd be sure to read several credible reviews that carefully examine the noise levels before making a purchase. Simply put, from my sample of 3 units (2 coming directly from Cooler Master), Cooler Master's representations about the noise levels of its PSU's are false in the normal course of usage (I make this distinction b/c CoolerMaster could have, possibly, created some testing situation where their statement is corroborated....but it certainly isn't in a PC sitting in a normal space that most PC's sit).

CoolerMaster states the following about the noise level of the Real Power 850w PSU:
"Ultra-silent operation with intelligent 135mm fan speed control (< 16dBA)"
Source: "Features" tab at http://www.coolermaster.com/products/pr ... e=22&id=35

You can read my opinion of the real world noise levels of the 850w by scrolling down to my post in this thread about the Zalman ZM-1000. viewtopic.php?t=48139

Perhaps this new PSU is quieter than the Real Power line, but you certainly cannot take Cooler Master's word for it b/c Cooler Master has little credibility when it comes to representations about their PSU's noise levels. Their customer service is fairly poor as well and not sufficient to support such a critical component (with my reference being Ultra whose customer support/RMA process is excellent even though I would not care to own one of their PSU's long term due to (a) quality & (b) noise levels).

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:17 am

600w test with dB data (translated). Looking good, plus 105c capacitors throughout and 5yr warranty.