New Chill Innovation low-noise PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

spykez

New Chill Innovation low-noise PSU

Post by spykez » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:19 pm

Anyone ever bought anything from this brand? I would like to know if they are any good, it seens a retailer near by will get tons of this soon.

http://www.chill-innovation.com/cp700m-specs.asp

Oklahoma Wolf

Post by Oklahoma Wolf » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:30 pm

OEM is Kingnod. From the same PSU line as this NorthQ:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?na ... ry&reid=93

Freonor

Post by Freonor » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:06 am

So. Has anyone got any experience with the NorthQ version PSU? Mine has a weird clicking sound. It's not always present and has nothing to do with temperature as far as I can tell.

One hw.no did a test on the 650W which is essentially exactly the same as the 850W and they had the same annoying clicking sound and they could't figure out where it came from.

I'm wanting to change the fan due to this clicking, but only 4 140mm fans are available in norway... So I was thinking maybe a 120mm fan could work as i'm not loading it even 50%. It's really quiet when the clicking sound isn't there so it's not running at full speed. It was impossible to get any more info on the fan. I googled the product number on the fan, but got nothing.

Anyone who can help?

Oklahoma Wolf

Post by Oklahoma Wolf » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:47 am

Well, I no longer have my review sample, but I'll tell you this - it has a load based fan controller rather than a thermal one.

If you replace that fan with a smaller one, it won't run it any faster if it gets too hot. Might probably work, but hard to say how well. I'd just try and find a 140mm replacement and make sure any plastic baffles get reinstalled the way they were on the old fan.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:07 am

Well, I no longer have my review sample, but I'll tell you this - it has a load based fan controller rather than a thermal one.
wow, that would be worth holding onto for the rarity value alone. do you know of any other psu's which have a load-based fan controller?

Oklahoma Wolf

Post by Oklahoma Wolf » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:35 pm

The Black Magic 650W is the same way. Same OEM too. By the time my two review samples got to 650W, those fans were louder than any other 140mm I'd ever heard.

Then the units blew up from being overrated by 100W :lol:

Esben

Post by Esben » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:51 am

I'm using a Chill Innovation PSU, the CP-450A4 in my HTPC. Compared to the other PSU I had, efficiency is improved, and noise is reduced. I can find the numbers if you're interested, but I saw around 5-7W reduction in power draw.

A reason for me to select it, is the use of a big slow spinning 140mm fan. It's the only fan in my system, and doesn't make much noise.

I bought it to replace my old Chill 500+W PSU, which I passed on to my sister. It's still put to use in her computer. The two A64X2 computers I've used it in had problems with PowerNow transitions from very low voltage.
In other words, I wouldn't recommend their older PSUs, but the recent one is working well for me.