Problems with PSU drawing air from below case?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

AVT

Problems with PSU drawing air from below case?

Post by AVT » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:45 pm

Would there be problems with PSU's with 120mm fans in a setup like this: http://img526.imageshack.us/my.php?image=caseyv9.jpg
(getting air from under the case, with maybe 1-2cm clearance.)

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:46 am

1cm is tight but 2cm should be plenty if the entire case has that much clearance underneath. The only concern would be dust intake.

You may want to detail what everything in that sketch is, though. It's not really clear what we're looking at.

AVT

Post by AVT » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:25 am

jhhoffma wrote:1cm is tight but 2cm should be plenty if the entire case has that much clearance underneath. The only concern would be dust intake.

You may want to detail what everything in that sketch is, though. It's not really clear what we're looking at.
ATM the sketch is in a very early state.

But I can give some explanations: The big box you're looking at isn't the case size. It's the size limit for carryon luggage on Delta fights.

As for the rest of the case, it's not done. The panel below the PSU has the wrong measurements, was part of the case before I decided to go mATX.

And yeah, I'd put filters underneath. With 2cm clearance however, I'm not sure if there would be turbulence. FYI the PSU that will be used is probably a Corsair HX520W, although I might use an Enermax Modu82+ 625w if the Corsair PSU cannot power the system.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:57 am

And yeah, I'd put filters underneath. With 2cm clearance however, I'm not sure if there would be turbulence
you're gonna filter it and have only 2cm clearance? the PSU is going to struggle to "breathe", IMO. too much restriction.

AVT

Post by AVT » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:07 am

jaganath wrote:
And yeah, I'd put filters underneath. With 2cm clearance however, I'm not sure if there would be turbulence
you're gonna filter it and have only 2cm clearance? the PSU is going to struggle to "breathe", IMO. too much restriction.
I see. Yeah, this is what I was worried about. Guess I'll have to fit the PSU somewhere else.

Hmm. Guess I'll put it in the front of the case. That way, I avoid both PSU heat problems and heatsink restrictions, but will have to re-think airflow.

I'll probably post a worklog once the design is done.

Also, if anyone knows if there's anywhere I can buy a cage for a notebook-size dvd burner, or for notebook-size harddrives (SSD's in my case, but the size is the same), let me know.

mrCow

Post by mrCow » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:07 pm

I think 2.5cm would probably be fine. The Antec p182 has about 2cm(?) clearance between the PSUs fan grill and the case floor. My ZM850-HP's 140mm fan is facing the bottom and doing just fine.

A 120mm fan has a 113 cm area, minus the motor and support, closer to 100cm. Every centimeter of clearance gives you a potential intake area or 37.68 cm. So 2.5 cm height is a 94.2 cm area.

I'm curious, is your case meant to fit in a carry-on, or will you have a carry-on sized case with a handle? (that would be neat :D )

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:39 am

Wouldn't it be simpler to use an exisiting uATX case, like the NSK3480 or NSK2480, and mod it wherever you need?
In case you could use some new ideas, here is a link to my first (I have several) uATX case concept, maybe it will help:
viewtopic.php?t=46400&highlight=uatx+ca ... 9b972495c7