Help me choose: Enermax vs Corsair

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

discopanda

Help me choose: Enermax vs Corsair

Post by discopanda » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:33 am

Hi guys,

The PSU is the only part of my system I'm unsure about. I don't know whether to go for the Corsair HX520 or the Enermax Modu 82+ 625.

Noise is my primary concern. Looking at reviews on here, they are the same noise at 300w (22db). Trouble is, I think I might be drawing 350w?

A quick spec of my system:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 cooled with a Scythe Mini Ninja heatsink and fan
Asus P5Q deluxe
4 GB RAM (2x2GB) at 2.0v each
XFX Nvidia 8600 GTS with Zalman VF900-CU cooler
LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray Drive
2x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint HDD
1x PCI-e Sound card
1x PCI-e TV card
All in a Zalman HD160+ with two Noctua 80mm case fans

What do you think that system will draw at normal use? i.e. watching/recording several TV shows at once or watching a DVD while recording? I know I won't need 525watts or 625w but those have the best noise levels.

ANy advice and thoughts are welomed and appreciated!

KlaymenDK

Post by KlaymenDK » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:40 am

I was in sort of the same dilemma. As far as I understand, it's nice to have about 50% spare capacity because that's where the efficiency is best.

I ended up listening *a lot* to the sound recordings here at this site, and ended up choosing the Enermax because its overall noise profile seems less annoying.

It's very subjective.

Derek Baker

Post by Derek Baker » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:13 am

I was leaning towards the Enermax after it's good SPCR review, but enough issues were raised on the forums for me to go for the HX620.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:23 am

I have an Enermax MODU82+ 625 watt, bought from my local hardware dealer. This dealer is actually one of the major UK web hardware retailers, but they are a short drive away from me, and I can order on the web and then go and collect.

We do pay more for hardware anyway here in the UK, and there is 17.5% VAT (sales tax) on top. So the local dealer has this PSU for just under £100, which is expensive for a 625 in my opinion, but it reeks quality and is currently idling on my Vista desktop at around 400 rpm - effectively silent.

The dilemma if I was buying now is that the same dealer has the Seasonic 900W X900 for only £6 more than the Enermax. I am not sure if this is sold in the States, and it is a slightly odd design for Seasonic e.g. it looks like a standard 'old-style' PSU complete with an 80 mm fan. On the other hand web reviews say it is fitted with very high quality components, and massive heatsinks, and despite the fan it is reported to be effectively silent up to about 50% load. This of course would be around the 450 watt mark which few single graphics card computers are ever likely to approach.

More particulary it is claimed to be super efficient, and while some might question the need for such a huge (insane?) power capacity, it is possible that it would be both quieter and more efficient than the Enermax at even moderate loads. And only £6 more ....

See
http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=662298

DonQ

Re: Help me choose: Enermax vs Corsair

Post by DonQ » Sat May 16, 2009 10:27 am

I have owned two 550W Corsairs. One of them had a loud annoying fan. Instead of RMAing it I just did a fan swap and gave it away. It's still ticking though. The other Corsair stopped working. I called my nephew funny names because he opened it thus voiding the warranty.

I just recently bought an Enermax Modu82+ 525W. It is near silent (it is certainly not the loudest component in my system).

Where I live the power during spring and summer has "outaged" momentarily several times a year. Although nothing has gotten damaged, clocks reset and the computer shuts off.

The other day I came home, clocks were reset but the computer was still going. Wow!

Enermax +1

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Sat May 16, 2009 11:47 am

Hi, if it makes any difference I think your power consumption figures are way over the top.
A review I found of 8600GT showed whole system power from the wall of under 200w. That would be only 150-160w DC from the PSU. That system used E6700 CPU, I've just changed from a E6600 to Q9400 and I've not experimented much but I think the quad is actually cooler than then the dual! I wouldn't be suprised if your system was only 150w at full load from the PSU. I don't see your system getting above 200w from the PSU unless you go mad with overclocking.
Regards, Seb