Whistling / whining PSU about to drive me crazy!

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Hellspawn

Whistling / whining PSU about to drive me crazy!

Post by Hellspawn » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:17 am

The subject is an Antec NeoHE550 and ever since I put in an ATI 4870 (two different brands, one 512mb the other now 1gb) my PSU whistles and whines as the browser draws in webpages. Even as things animate on the screen on occasion.

I've checked : LCD flat screen, hard disc, motherboard all make no noise like this at all. Noise is loudest behind the system if you put your ear next to the PSU exhaust fan, making me believe it is from inside.

Any hope/help other than changing for another model/brand of PSU?

Since the PSU is modular I have tried moving the two PCI-E leads to other plugins, no luck.

walle

Post by walle » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:02 am

If you’re telling us that your running two of those cards (heck even one) using that power supply then immediately, immediately, remove one of the cards; do not wait for it, do it now!

Damn Dirty Ape

Post by Damn Dirty Ape » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:22 am

walle wrote:If you’re telling us that your running two of those cards (heck even one) using that power supply then immediately, immediately, remove one of the cards; do not wait for it, do it now!
No just one. I've tried two different brands, and two different memory sizes (different times) and the whistle/whine persisted..

You don't think a 4870 can be powered by the neohe 550? (honest question).

Joe Public

Post by Joe Public » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:23 pm

Yeah, any good and decent 550W is plenty for a HD4870. Afaik, one card draws typically 150W under load.

You could try swapping PSUs, though I've seen people do it and still have whining, only with a different pitch and/or volume.

Kaleid

Post by Kaleid » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:28 am

I had similar problems with my Zalman 850w. I RMA'd it and haven't had the problem since.

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:43 pm

trying to hold off until I get to Chicago next weekend and can pickup a corsair 620hx.

Think that would power a 4870x2 if I were to swap one in sometime down the road?

walle

Post by walle » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:21 pm

Damn Dirty Ape wrote:You don't think a 4870 can be powered by the neohe 550? (honest question).
The Antec unit is of questionable quality and delivers poor amps, if you’re lucky, you end up with a decent unit. The HD 4870 cards need good and solid amps, most buyers focus on the wattage alone when its the amps that count, and how they are delivered. Seeing that you have a very expensive system I very much feel (and recommend) that you bin that unit and instead pick up a Seasonic S12 Energy + unit (the 550W should more then suffice) a Corsair 620W would also be a choice. Others would suggest the PC POWER & COOLING, but, those units uses an inline 80mm fan which makes them far from quiet, besides, a PC POWER & COOLING would be overkill for your system, in fact; for most systems; lastly, they tend to generate some heat.

I did not make that post out of the blue or based on copy and paste regurgitation neither, the power supply is the most important component (screen not included), and a good one will save you a lot of hassle down the road. FYI; I have had two power supplies fry for me whilst powering two game systems, these were power supplies which was regarded as “qualityâ€

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:06 pm

Most of the evening I listened to it whine on and off during a few hours of UT3. Wife was gone so..... Unless they are OOS on the 620hx I'm going to splurge and get one. This neo550 will be going in her system, which is mid-range (non-gaming) for the most part.

I've long since abandoned the 80mm fan units, way too loud and can't move enough air quietly to suit me.

Thanks for your thoughts!

walle wrote:
Damn Dirty Ape wrote:You don't think a 4870 can be powered by the neohe 550? (honest question).
The Antec unit is of questionable quality and delivers poor amps, if you’re lucky, you end up with a decent unit. The HD 4870 cards need good and solid amps, most buyers focus on the wattage alone when its the amps that count, and how they are delivered. Seeing that you have a very expensive system I very much feel (and recommend) that you bin that unit and instead pick up a Seasonic S12 Energy + unit (the 550W should more then suffice) a Corsair 620W would also be a choice. Others would suggest the PC POWER & COOLING, but, those units uses an inline 80mm fan which makes them far from quiet, besides, a PC POWER & COOLING would be overkill for your system, in fact; for most systems; lastly, they tend to generate some heat.

I did not make that post out of the blue or based on copy and paste regurgitation neither, the power supply is the most important component (screen not included), and a good one will save you a lot of hassle down the road. FYI; I have had two power supplies fry for me whilst powering two game systems, these were power supplies which was regarded as “qualityâ€

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:07 pm

You could also go for a Nexus Quiet power supply. I have one of those and I'm very happy with it. They're a bit on the expensive side though.

Joe Public

Post by Joe Public » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:38 am

walle wrote:
The Antec unit is of questionable quality and delivers poor amps, if you’re lucky, you end up with a decent unit.
Hm.... Afaik, the NeoHE is manufactured by Seasonic, and with 504W (42A) on the 12V, I wouldn't say that's little. And I'll bet it's most likely single rail as many Seasonic made units sometimes are. (even though the specs say multiple).

walle

Post by walle » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:12 am

Hellspawn wrote:Thanks for your thoughts!...
Your welcome mate.
Joe Public wrote:Hm.... Afaik, the NeoHE is manufactured by Seasonic….
I’m fully aware of that, many units are.