Antec Earthwatts 500 fan swap

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

ScruffyDogg

Antec Earthwatts 500 fan swap

Post by ScruffyDogg » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:59 pm

What fan would you recommend for a swap here without raising the heat considerably

nyu3

Post by nyu3 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:57 pm

I used the Kama Flex 2000rpm version. Its basically an 80mm version of the S-Flex.

http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/fa ... -80mm.html

Currently, my EA-500D is powering:
Q6600 CPU ( 3.08ghz / 1.3vcore )
7900GS GPU
2x 2GB RAM
1x 320gb notebook drive
1x DVD burner

The Kama fan (controlled by power supply, no need to solder or cut connectors) has no problems keeping the power supply reasonably cool in my Lian-Li PC-A05.

(Note that A05's power supply cooling is not so good, because hot air from the CPU heatsink is blown directly towards the power supply, and the front panel is not ventilated enough)

ScruffyDogg

Post by ScruffyDogg » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:03 pm

I won't have a lot of front cool air intake when all is said and done,... but I am a fan of the scythe fans!

I find that currently the most heat is coming from the antec psu exhaust, and the fan is creating the most sound, basically from the air flow of the exhaust, it is noticibly louder than my rear antec tri cool on low setting (which will most likely be heading out before long).

I find that if I "muffle" with my hand cupping over the area, it makes a huge difference,....

So three things I thought about,... with heat considerations.
1) fan replacement, but will still have to expel heat,... I probably will still want #2 though
2) outside muffler setup,... would prefer commercial look and feel, not great at fabricating acrylic type stuff or have means to just yet,... so looking at cheap aftermarket if available,...
3) cut a bottom facing hole for a 120 mm fan exhaust install (psu upside down I think) and lower 80 mm fan exhaust sound/reliance, or even use it as intake and make the 120mm rear fan behind HSF work double duty.

Thoughts?