New Corsair HX450W

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

New Corsair HX450W

Post by rpsgc » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:07 pm

Hello,

Well it seems that PSU wattage isn't just moving up! :lol:
Corsair has announced its newest PSU, the HX450W. This 450W PSU would be the company's entry-level offering with flat modular cabling. The unit measures 150mm x 86mm x 150mm, and features a quiet temperature-controlled 120mm fan. In many aspects this PSU could be seen as a modular version of the VX450W.

Source: techPowerUp!

It's good to see another lower (albeit still high for SPCR standards) wattage PSU from Corsair.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:05 pm

Corsair PSUs are outstanding and deserve all the support and recommendation that SPCR has given them so far. the just released CX400 is also an excellent product.

contrast this PSU with the Enermax Revolution 85+ series: 850W is the minimum wattage!!! wattages going in the wrong direction (and price is not getting any cheaper either). with Corsair you get a premium product with a premium warranty, SPCR-quiet and now modular as well at a very reasonable wattage. The good thing about Corsair is that they don't force you to pay for wattage you don't need, whereas a lot of the super-high efficiency units now don't come in versions any lower than 600W+.

here at SPCR we are always criticising PSU manufacturers for bringing out new models with unnecessarily large capacity, we should congratulate Corsair as they are the only PSU company who are brave enough to go against this trend!

Matija

Post by Matija » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:27 pm

They'd sell a ton of 300W PSUs...

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:39 pm

The thing is, nowadays high wattage sells. It's simply a fact. Too many times I see "enthusiasts" with 850W+ PSU powering rigs that at worse would require a 400W PSU! I don't know whether it's future-proofing, for the ease of mind or simply e-pen but it's happening.

bgiddins

Post by bgiddins » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:54 pm

That PSU looks fantastic - I just bought a VX450, if this had been out I would have been all over it.

Zenphic
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zenphic » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:27 pm

If it's anything like the VX450W (and maybe a bit quieter), I'll be all over it. :D

FuturePastNow

Post by FuturePastNow » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:24 pm

Looks great. I'd love to see a review of this and the other new Corsair PSU, the CX400. Are they still sourced from Seasonic?

Greg F.

Post by Greg F. » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:29 pm

I am sure I read where Corsairs come from two different companies and the CX come not from Seasonic. Others here will know more. I almost bought a CX until I discovered that.

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:47 pm

rpsgc wrote:The thing is, nowadays high wattage sells. It's simply a fact. Too many times I see "enthusiasts" with 850W+ PSU powering rigs that at worse would require a 400W PSU! I don't know whether it's future-proofing, for the ease of mind or simply e-pen but it's happening.
None of the above, it's simply ignorance.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:06 pm

The new HX450W is supposed to be for the EU & Asia only, afaik. But they'll send a sample when one is available, as they know half of SPCR readers are from there. We just got a CX400 sample yesterday.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:03 am

We just got a CX400 sample yesterday.
fantastic, i'm really looking forward to that review. I have ordered a CX400 and if it doesn't get the SPCR seal of approval then it's going straight back to the shop.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:05 am

Well, as is the norm, I usually pull a new PSU out to have a quick look and listen to make sure it's worth the effort of testing. If it doesn't meet the min requirement of lower than 30 dBA/1m at turn on, there's no point. Rest assured on this one -- it's got that familiar Adda ball-bearing fan signature of Seasonic-mades, spinning a very low speed. Like the rest of the Corsair family I've examined (except the TX750), it's audible from a meter but very quiet.

Note: It came with the dual round cross section rod AC plug that I think is standard in the UK (and EU?). That's a first with any Corsair. So I wonder if these are meant only for the EU and Asia too.
Last edited by MikeC on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:51 am

MikeC wrote:Note: It came with the dual round cross section rod AC plug that I think is standard in the UK (and EU?). That's a first with any Corsair. So I wonder if these are meant only for the EU and Asia too.
This?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... socket.png

That's the European (German "Schuko") plug. The UK uses a three pin plug much like in the USA.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:17 am

rpsgc wrote:This?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... socket.png

That's the European (German "Schuko") plug. The UK uses a three pin plug much like in the USA.
Not sure if it's the same, probably. You tell me:

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:21 am

Just got clarification from Corsair -- they're sending out the EU version to all reviewers just to keep it simple for them. They assume we'll have the right AC cords I guess. :roll: :lol:

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:22 am

MikeC wrote:Not sure if it's the same, probably. You tell me:

Yes, it's an European plug. It looks like a Type E/F, German/French hybrid plug. No matter, only the shape changes, it's still a two connector European plug. Just like pretty much all plugs I have here.
MikeC wrote:Just got clarification from Corsair -- they're sending out the EU version to all reviewers just to keep it simple for them. They assume we'll have the right AC cords I guess. :roll: :lol:
Don't feel bad, when I bought my Corsair PSU it came with the British type plug :roll:

jeccou

Post by jeccou » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:39 pm

MikeC wrote:Well, as is the norm, I usually pull a new PSU out to have a quick look and listen to make sure it's worth the effort of testing. If it doesn't meet the min requirement of lower than 30 dBA/1m at turn on, there's no point. Rest assured on this one -- it's got that familiar Adda ball-bearing fan signature of Seasonic-mades, spinning a very low speed. Like the rest of the Corsair family I've examined (except the TX750), it's audible from a meter but very quiet.
Thanks Mike! I just got my CX400 yesterday and got a wee bit stressed reading that it's not made by Seasonic. After your initial listen, I'll go ahead and install it in the P182 once it arrives.

If only the HX450 could have been released a bit earlier, though---I would have loved to go modular. Has anyone heard when we can expect to see it on the shelves?

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:22 am

MikeC wrote:Just got clarification from Corsair -- they're sending out the EU version to all reviewers just to keep it simple for them. They assume we'll have the right AC cords I guess. :roll: :lol:
What, you don't have at least five spares? :P

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:28 am

Monkeh16 wrote:What, you don't have at least five spares? :P
I was just joking, which is why I used: :lol:

There is a huge box of AC cords in the lab, perhaps 40 or more.

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:34 am

MikeC wrote:
Monkeh16 wrote:What, you don't have at least five spares? :P
I was just joking, which is why I used: :lol:

There is a huge box of AC cords in the lab, perhaps 40 or more.
I figured. Nice collection. I don't think I have more than.. 25, and most of them are used.

burebista

Post by burebista » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:35 am

Greg F. wrote:I am sure I read where Corsairs come from two different companies and the CX come not from Seasonic.
Are you sure? ;)

Greg F.

Post by Greg F. » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:51 am

burebista wrote:
Greg F. wrote:I am sure I read where Corsairs come from two different companies and the CX come not from Seasonic.
Are you sure? ;)
No, only sure of death and taxes. Apparently my specialty is spreading misinformation I have read on the internet.

Aris

Post by Aris » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:54 am

Matija wrote:They'd sell a ton of 300W PSUs...
The problem with this idea is that it would likely be loud at load power usage, because currently no one makes a PSU to stay quiet through its entire power curve. Typically they will only run quiet up to around 50% load. So take your typical 200-300w load power requirement and double that. Thats the biggest reason you see so many PSU's in the 500-600w range. Not because anything needs that much power, but so that the units stay quiet during operation even at load.

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:11 am

This is the kind of PSU I've been searching for. Two things that bugged me about the VX450 were its bright green label and its non-modular design. The HX450 solves both issues for me: modular AND a blue label! A HX520 is just too much power and cost for me.

Together with Seasonic's S12II-430 and to a lesser extent an Earthwatts 430, the VX450 is about the only choice for a quiet, quality, [relatively] low wattage PSU under AUD$100 in Australia (if you do not include the PICO PSU which on its own without a 'power brick' is $79.95). The fact is, you just cannot get a good PSU in this country that's not rated for 400W or greater. I have asked many vendors about whether they can get 300-400W Seasonics and they are not interested. I can verily understand some posters' pain when they get a reply like "Your system will only draw 150W max. You don't need a 450W PSU." Oftentimes, it's the lowest rated one they can get/afford that's not a candidate for the trash.

Higher wattage may just be easier to sell. I can see the horse has already bolted on this one. Enermax's REVOLUTION85+ range tops out at 1250W. They market it as 'For Our Future'. Whose future? Future proofing? For what? A day when you need more than 4 video cards to play a game? A day when you build an 8x quadcore system so you can tell people you built an 8x quadcore system? I'm glad that Corsair still offer high efficiency, availability and value without these crazy ratings. I say, well done.
MikeC wrote:The new HX450W is supposed to be for the EU & Asia only, afaik.
Mike, will Corsair's HX450 market for Asia extend to include Oceania? The VX450 has done very well AFAIK in Australia and this would be an ideal replacement if it is as good or better.

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:56 am

Looks like I just found the solution to my worries about power in monster... (9.1TB box)

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:22 am

MikeC wrote:The new HX450W is supposed to be for the EU & Asia only, afaik. But they'll send a sample when one is available, as they know half of SPCR readers are from there. We just got a CX400 sample yesterday.
I guess there is actually something good to lovei n old continent then... but American's still have newegg... *cries*

Anyway on topic that PSU looks really good... I might get that or new vx400 to replicate my old HEC 350W with something more.... effective than that.....

ronnylov

Post by ronnylov » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:31 am

Here is a German review of Corsair CX 400:
http://www.pc-experience.de/wbb2/thread ... adid=28064

maf718

Post by maf718 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:36 pm

Thanks ronnylov, I'd been searching for a CX400 review without much luck. My German is worse than rusty but I can read data tables and look at pictures in any language, and some dodgy online translator made semi-sense of the rest.

Summary: they gave it a gold award and put it in their top ten PSU list; efficiency is 81.5% at 20% load, 85.5% at 80% load; dbA is 19.5 at 20% load, 21 at 50% and 27 maximum. (Btw the noise readings from other PSUs they reviewed roughly equate to the readings from SPCR's reviews)

If any readers are in the UK the CX400 is on a "today only" deal at Scan.co.uk until midday Monday for £34, look in the today only tab, I've just ordered one.

Favourite quote from Babel Fish translation of German review:
The Seasonic power fishing rod made possible us to determine the PFC
In the original it reads as "Seasonic Power Angel"....

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:52 pm

I just ordered a CX400w for my file server. Unfortuneatly the motherboard i ordered was DOA so i cant test it on the system. But after firing it up using the paper clip trick and at what i presume is its lowest fan speed it was pretty damn quiet. The thing is i dont know at what temp/load it starts ramping up.

Googly_Eyes

Post by Googly_Eyes » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:54 pm

rpsgc wrote:The thing is, nowadays high wattage sells. It's simply a fact. Too many times I see "enthusiasts" with 850W+ PSU powering rigs that at worse would require a 400W PSU! I don't know whether it's future-proofing, for the ease of mind or simply e-pen but it's happening.
How much more power would high wattage/high efficiency PSUs consume in a low power system; compared to a low wattage/high efficiency PSU in the same low power system?