Any thoughts on OCZ ModXStream Power supplies?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

thegoldenstrand

Any thoughts on OCZ ModXStream Power supplies?

Post by thegoldenstrand » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:38 pm

Since OCZ introduced them they are cheaper with rebates than similarly powerful psus from antec, corsair, enermax, and seasonic.

Are the new ModXstreams any good and worth a look if on sale?

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/p ... wer_supply

ModXStream Pro Power Supply

OCZ 500W-700W ModXStream Pro Power Supply

500W, 600W, 700W Configurations:

OCZ PowerWhisper Technology
Internal 140mm fan (400,500W,600W,700W)
SLIâ„¢ Certified
3 year warranty backed by OCZ's exclusive PowerSwapâ„¢

500W - 700W Connectors:
1 x 20/24-pin ATX
1 x 8-pin CPU
1 x 4-pin CPU
Modular Connectors:
1 x 6-pin PCI-E
1 x 6+2-pin PCI-E
4 x Peripheral
2 x Floppy
6 x SATA

Part Numbers 500W - OCZ500MXSP,,600W - OCZ600MXSP, 700W - OCZ700MXSP

OCZ700MXSP
ChiefValue • NCIX • NewEgg • Buy.com
OCZ600MXSP
Amazon • Buy.com
OCZ500MXSP
Buy.com • NewEgg • ZipZoomFly • NCIX

OCZ ModXStream Pro / 500~600W~700W / EZ Mod Cable Management / Active PFC

The ModXStream Pro Series is the superlative solution for driving today's gaming systems, and is NVIDIA® SLI™ certified to power dual graphics. Professional-grade yet designed with gamers and modders in mind, this PSU is stable, robust, and sports a sleek look and compact form factor. Kept ultra-cool with a load-controlled 140mm fan, the ModXStream Pro was engineered to be the quietest PSU available and eliminate distracting noises from your PC. 80+ Certified, featuring up to 86% efficiency at typical load, this leading-edge power supply remains rock solid and powerful while retaining superior efficiency under load.

As a gamer or case modder, modular cabling is a necessity when building a cool and orderly system. To optimize airflow and eliminate cable mazes, the ModXStream Pro is equipped with "EZMod" Technology to allow complete customization of your power system by utilizing only the cables you require.

The OCZ ModXStream provides Universal Input and Active PFC (Power Factor Correction) to effectively regulate input voltage across worldwide power grids and maintain an economical, stable supply of power. Available in configurations ranging from 400W to 700W and backed with OCZ’s 3-year “power swapâ€

Eyedolon

Post by Eyedolon » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:00 pm

I have an OCZ ModXStream 900W that is soon going to be ex-PSU for my system once I can get one that works.

Never going to buy OCZ again.

sputnik99

Post by sputnik99 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:50 am

I have one. the 500w version. Its nicely priced for a modular ps. The 14cm does a good job and its quiet.

Its powering a low power E5200 oc to 3.5GHz, HD4870, without any problems. I love the modular cables, it fits nicely in my small matx case.

Nil Einne

Post by Nil Einne » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:30 pm

Eyedolon wrote:I have an OCZ ModXStream 900W that is soon going to be ex-PSU for my system once I can get one that works.

Never going to buy OCZ again.
So the problem is basically that you keep getting a dud PSU?

stead

Post by stead » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:54 pm

i'm currently running a antec neo he 380, i'm tempted to try one of these ocz ones, turn all the fans off, and and the most annoying noise overeverything seems to be the powersupply, the large fan and properosed silence is what is tempting me!

the 80mm of the antec i'm sure is too loud when it has to go under load

do thtey stay quiet?