Corsair not planning to bring HX450 to US/NA!

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Post Reply
CincNeufCinc
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:49 pm
Location: USA

Corsair not planning to bring HX450 to US/NA!

Post by CincNeufCinc » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:46 am

I'm quite frustrated.

Speaking with Corsair's "CSG Lead" over the past week, I just found out that they are not planning to bring the HX450W modular power supply to the US/North America! This is also discussed on Corsair's tech support site: http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=76222

:(

I know about the VX and CX series, but I want the modular cabling. Why should that force me into a bigger power supply? SFF and non-gaming PCs don't need more juice than this. For the machine I'm planning to build, with all components at max power draw I still won't exceed 300 watts.

Everything I've read indicates that the Corsair HX models are probably the best units made by Seasonic.

If anyone else is interested in this, I would suggest e-mailing customerservice@corsair.com or info@corsair.com and telling them what you think.

Also, can anyone suggest a good reseller in EU/UK or Asia that offers good prices and will handle international orders intended for the U.S.?

elpibe10
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:57 pm
Location: Out of this world !

Post by elpibe10 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:08 pm

Seasonic M12II 430W would be an 'almost identical' alternative.

CincNeufCinc
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:49 pm
Location: USA

Corsair-branded unit still better

Post by CincNeufCinc » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:38 pm

The Corsair branded unit also has a shorter chassis, which would be very nice to have. I was also under the impression that it has better cable sleeving and internal components, although I am not certain. Corsair is also willing to offer a 7 year warranty, which is also compelling.

I just don't understand their decision not to bring it here.

Riffer
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:14 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Corsair-branded unit still better

Post by Riffer » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:08 am

CincNeufCinc wrote:The Corsair branded unit also has a shorter chassis, which would be very nice to have. I was also under the impression that it has better cable sleeving and internal components, although I am not certain. Corsair is also willing to offer a 7 year warranty, which is also compelling.

I just don't understand their decision not to bring it here.
I agree, I would like to see it as well.

Just a comparisson of the two lines - I have the Corsair 520HX and the SeaSonic M12II SS-430GM. The Corsair does have a shorter chassis. I much prefer the Seasonic cables. The Corsair ones are a little more difficult to orientate and hide away the extra connectors. BTW, the cables are connected differenly, so if you want to use the Seasonic ones with the Corsair or vice versa, you will have to switch some of the pins. On my old motherboard, I had some problems with the Seasonic waking from S3, but that may have been the motherboard. No problems with the Corsair in the same configuration.

I also had a strange problem with the Seasonic not fitting into my Lian-Li Chassis. I had to unscrew the cover (thus violating the warranty) and bend it a bit to enable the PSU to fit. I think it was just a build issue, as the Corsair one has the same basic design and fit just fine.

CincNeufCinc
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:49 pm
Location: USA

Post by CincNeufCinc » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:45 pm

Well, due to Corsair's decision on the HX450W, they just lost my business.

Even though I've had some less-than-satisfactory dealings with Enermax in the past, I just picked up a Modu82+ 425 Watt via today's Newegg deal, due to the recent positive reviews and recommendations on SPCR. As others noted in the 625 review discussion and giveaway threads, Enermax seems to be trying to do a better job lately.

I hope I have a good experience this time around.

I'd have paid more for the Corsair unit with the proven Seasonic design, much better warranty, and their good reputation for customer service, but apparently they don't want the business.

Aris
Posts: 2299
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:29 am
Location: Bellevue, Nebraska
Contact:

Post by Aris » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:25 pm

If your load is near 300w, the 550 version will likely be quieter for you anyhow. The more overhead you have without running outside the 20-100% 80+ range, the quieter it will run. Having your load at 50% of the max capable on your PSU is almost ideal.

I dont really see this as a big deal. I would wager the reason its not comming to NA is because of our use of 120v which reduces effeciency, which increases heat output of their unit, which means it'll start making noise at lower load levels. On a higher voltage in europe, they will be able to run the same load systems quieter.

Also, there is always the non modular cable version. Its not like having modular cables is a make or break option on a quality PSU.

CincNeufCinc
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:49 pm
Location: USA

Post by CincNeufCinc » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:34 pm

Aris wrote:If your load is near 300w, the 550 version will likely be quieter for you anyhow. The more overhead you have without running outside the 20-100% 80+ range, the quieter it will run. Having your load at 50% of the max capable on your PSU is almost ideal.
As I said, I'd pull 300 W max, perhaps 315 W worst-case depending on fudge factors. Even doing a parallel build on four cores, with the processor I'm planning to use, the mean power consumption is going to be less than 50% of a 500+ W unit.

The 50% rule-of-thumb is OK if you value silence above all else, but if you also care about efficiency and don't plan to have the machine heavily loaded very often, I don't think it's all that relevant a guideline.
Aris wrote:I dont really see this as a big deal. I would wager the reason its not comming to NA is because of our use of 120v which reduces effeciency, which increases heat output of their unit, which means it'll start making noise at lower load levels. On a higher voltage in europe, they will be able to run the same load systems quieter.
I agree it's not a huge deal, but I think it's a big enough deal that it's worth pointing out as a potentially flawed decision on the part of the manufacturer. Your point about efficiency vs. supply voltage is true across the board for all power supply designs we typically use. It applies no more to this model or capacity than it does to any other power supply in its class.

And Seasonic's M12-II 430 W, which is probably very similar to, if the not the basis of, the HX450W still has an 80+ rating.
Aris wrote:Also, there is always the non modular cable version. Its not like having modular cables is a make or break option on a quality PSU.
It was the reason I wanted the HX in the first place. For SFF machines, modular cabling is mighty nice to have.

It's my suspicion that Corsair just doesn't see enough of a market to bring this unit here, and that there's not really a technical basis for this decision. I think they figure most people in the U.S. buying power supplies of that caliber/type are probably building gaming or other kinds of high-power machines. Or there could be other reasons, but in my correspondence with them, they were not really forthcoming on their rationale. I'm sure not knowing why also contributed to my frustration.

Worse than finding that no one makes what you want is to find out that they do make what you want -- you just can't easily get it :wink: .

Aris
Posts: 2299
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:29 am
Location: Bellevue, Nebraska
Contact:

Post by Aris » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:43 am

CincNeufCinc wrote:
Aris wrote:Also, there is always the non modular cable version. Its not like having modular cables is a make or break option on a quality PSU.
It was the reason I wanted the HX in the first place. For SFF machines, modular cabling is mighty nice to have.
It can be done without modular cables, it just takes more work. All of my machines are SFF, and i always find a way to optimize airflow without modular cable PSU's.

I understand its an option you'd prefer to have, but i dont see any reason to blacklist one of the best made PSU company's out there just because they dont have it available on a single model in the US.

Post Reply