[MiniPC] Alternative to noisy 75w PSU?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

littlebigman

[MiniPC] Alternative to noisy 75w PSU?

Post by littlebigman » Thu May 07, 2009 12:20 am

Hello

I just bought this tiny case for use with a mini-ITX mobo. The case itself is nice, but the PSU that comes with it (Comstars KT-T75FX-06A) is quite noisy.

Do you know of a good, affordable alternative, considering that there's not much room in there so its dimensions shouldn't be much more than the original (13cm in length for 6,5cm on each side)?

Thank you :)

Mariner
Friend of SPCR

Post by Mariner » Thu May 07, 2009 3:34 am

A PicoPSU ought to be applicable here. I've no experience of using them myself (although I am waiting to receive one shortly), but it you have a search on SPCR, you'll find plenty of people using them and there is also an SPCR review of the 120W version as well.

Deenis

Post by Deenis » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:36 pm

Very interesting post with very relevant information.

littlebigman

Post by littlebigman » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:05 pm

Mariner wrote:A PicoPSU ought to be applicable here. I've no experience of using them myself (although I am waiting to receive one shortly), but it you have a search on SPCR, you'll find plenty of people using them and there is also an SPCR review of the 120W version as well.
Thanks. After reading the FAQ on PSU's above, it looks like 120W should be ample enough to power a low-power mobo + a diskdrive + DVD drive + PCI telephony card.

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Post by Firetech » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:07 am

Deenis wrote:Very interesting post with very relevant information.
Likewise :D
littlebigman wrote:Thanks. After reading the FAQ on PSU's above, it looks like 120W should be ample enough to power a low-power mobo + a diskdrive + DVD drive + PCI telephony card.
Should be plenty for that.
After seeeking advice here, I'm getting a 150w which I feel is overkill for the running load of my server (<60w) but is sized 'just in case' to suit the start up load of 4xHDDs.