Antec NSK2400 and Nexus Value 430

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Hezu

Antec NSK2400 and Nexus Value 430

Post by Hezu » Mon May 11, 2009 9:54 am

As I needed another PSU, I just bought a Nexus Value 430 as it seems to be pretty nice silent PSU. I had idea that I will use it replace my HTPC's Antec NSK2400's original PSU and use the previous PSU in another setup. Nice idea, but it seems that the 4-pin 12V ATX power cord can't reach the opposite corner opposite the PSU where that socket is: especially if I want to route that cable on the front side, other side across motherboard almost reaches, but not quite (partially as Ninja Mini CPU cooler blocks the most direct route).
So, has anybody else tried to install this PSU in that case? If so, have you managed to get the the 4-pin cable to reach the socket?

Secondly, now as I have HTPC setup without PSU installed, I have thought I may want go shopping for yet another PSU. I have read recommended PSU list, but I am still unsure what would be an inexpensive, decent, silent <450W model that would suit my needs? Power-wise, the need certainly is not too much since there is just Abit NF-M2 nView motherboard with integrated Geforce 6150 graphics, Athlon 64 X2 1900+ (65W) CPU, 2x512M 800MHZ DDR2 RAM, one Samsung 500GB T166 SATA HDD, DVD-burner, extra 10/100 Ethernet card and dual DVB-T tuner card.

jamesbundy

Post by jamesbundy » Mon May 11, 2009 10:47 am

This extension cable would solve your particular problem:

http://www.svc.com/cbl-extend-12v.html

What's the noise level/characteristic like on your Nexus PSU?

Hezu

Post by Hezu » Mon May 11, 2009 1:10 pm

jamesbundy wrote:This extension cable would solve your particular problem:

http://www.svc.com/cbl-extend-12v.html
D'oh! Of course... Although, it will propably mess with esthetics as Nexus has black cables and plugs, while the extensions cord's plugs are most likely white (or translucent) :)
jamesbundy wrote:What's the noise level/characteristic like on your Nexus PSU?
Wonderful, I installed it on another system and with that PSU, boxed AMD cooler and pair of orange 120 mm Nexus fans I am starting to wonder if I will bother to mess with the Xigmatek Achilles S1284 CPU cooler I bought for this system as acoustics with the present setup is already quite tolerable since the PSU swap (previous one was Nexus NX-4000). Perhaps I need to buy second Nexus Value 430... :)

Hezu

Good PSU for HTPC system?

Post by Hezu » Tue May 12, 2009 12:48 am

Hezu wrote:Perhaps I need to buy second Nexus Value 430...
To follow up, I'm still bit hesitant to actually take that action since despite that I like Nexus Value 430, I can't stop thinking that 430W is bit overkill for a lowly HTPC. Can anyone think any other decent, quiet PSUs with slightly lower power rating (300-380W)? And I'm certainly not interested to invest any more on a PSU than what this Nexus model costs (around 60-70 € on Finnish shops).

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue May 12, 2009 12:56 am

Hi,

You might look for a Fortron Source Green 300 or 350watt?