420W prosilence is here

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

jackal2513

420W prosilence is here

Post by jackal2513 » Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:48 am

looks like its finally available:

http://www.silentmaxx.de/nt_prosilence_fanlesspro.php

kind of wanted to have everything else silenced before i put it in but my new watercooling stuff is taking ages to arrive so may well order one very soon.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:06 pm

Aah, but it's not fanless anymore!

It's got a thermally controlled Papst fan in there that kicks on when the temps go too high. But they do claim only 12dBa, which would still make it about the quietest Fanned PSU out there.

Has anyone found a North American seller for this model yet?

George

Post by George » Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:04 pm

A little off topic but does anyone know how to wire a fan so it only turns on after reaching a certain temperature? I was thinking about modding a 2 fan PSU. First I'd replace the main fan with a panaflo undervolted to 5-7 using a resistor. I would like to hook up the second fan to only come on when excessive heat builds up, it could run full blast untill things cool down. Anyone know how this can be done?

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:22 pm

George wrote:A little off topic but does anyone know how to wire a fan so it only turns on after reaching a certain temperature?
If you're handy with wiring there's this : Do-it Yourself Thermal Control

I've built a couple of those, it's about $2 worth of bits from Radio Shak, and about 5 minutes to assemble. Works perfect, once you get it adjusted to where you want it. There's no way to set it to come on at a certain preset temp, but its simple and reliable. (I found it handy to thermal epoxy the thermosistor to the heatsink)

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:37 am

I think the 12 dBA is misleading.

There is no Papst fan on earth that can produce only 12 dBA. I've tried several units of all the sizes of lowest rated Papst fans.

I'm guessing they are only sticking the papst fan dBA rating to their PSU and think they've got it solved.

So, I'm not very convinced at the 12 dBA rating, although I'm not saying that the PSU (which might not heat up enough to turn on the FAN) is bad or doesn't perform.

Just that the 12 dBA rating is just very likely marketing information carried on from Papst fans to their PSU.

cheers,
Halcyon