Need new PSU looking at Signature 650 but...

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Need new PSU looking at Signature 650 but...

Post by SebRad » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:44 am

Hi, my NeoHE 430 has had a hard life. It survived having the fan swapped for a quieter one, twice. It also had it's heatsinks extended but sadly my attempts to remove bad coil whine proved to be too much for it.
On the plus side it's now silent, as is the rest of the PC, just not very useful as it won't power up or anything.
The Antec Signature looks like a good equivilent to the NeoHE, 80mm in line fan, modular cables and quiet operation. In fact SPCRs review shows the fan as running 720rpm up to significant load, which is slower than the NeoHE after it's fan swap. Can get one from overclockers.co.uk for £93 delivered so not mega expensive, in fact similar price to Enermax Modu82+ 625w.
(And no I won't want to mod a new PSU again!)
But... a bit of looking found Enermax Pro82+ 425w for only £47, proably equally quiet and half the price, it's enough to make me stop and think. Slightly put off by reports of Enermax fans getting loud after a while though. May well be other similar quiet options.
Definitly powerful enough as currently using spare Seasonic S12-II 330w. In fact the Seasonic doesn't even seam to be that loud, except it has some coil whine too. Not as bad as the NeoHE but too much for my taste.
The video card is GTX260 and they are notorious for having coil whine and inducing it in PSUs. A search for coil whine in Signature PSU produced pretty much nothing, which I hope is good.
Any thoughts welcome.
Seb

burebista

Post by burebista » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:59 am

EVGA 260 GTX SC and Signature 650 user here. PSU is dead silent and my GTX coil whine ONLY in ATI Tool (you know, that hairy spinning cube :lol: ) and I hear it ONLY with my case open (P182) and my ear close to GPU.
In games, OCCT, FurMark, 3dmark I don't hear coil whine neither from my GPU or PSU.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:04 pm

Hi burebista, that's ggod to know thank you. Does it whine under Folding@home do you know by any chance?
Found a Signature 850 on ebay that might go cheap :)
Thanks, Seb

burebista

Post by burebista » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:43 pm

SebRad wrote:Does it whine under Folding@home do you know by any chance?
Sorry man, I quit F@H for some time. :(