Surge Suppression without line conditioning?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Riffer

Surge Suppression without line conditioning?

Post by Riffer » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:06 am

Okay, my buddy is an Audio nut (like me), but is more prone to placebo effect. He has some new, high powered tube monoblocks that he is running without surge protection, claiming that surge suppressors restrict the voltage going to the amps. Well I convinced him that it was a bad thing to run without surge protection, but now he wants a Surge Suppressor without power conditioning or filtering, as he claims that has screwed up some of his components in the past.

Regardless of the merits of his arguments, Is there such a thing - surge protection without line conditioning, or is it inherent in the design of surge Suppressors to have this?

Are there and devices that will satisfy his requirements?

P.S. He sends queries on this via email to my silent computer, just to keep things on topic :)

Arvo

Post by Arvo » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:29 am

I can be misleaded by terminology (not an english speaker), but IMHO most surge suppressors are not line conditioners.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory ... uppressors

lm
Friend of SPCR

Re: Surge Suppression without line conditioning?

Post by lm » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:22 am

Riffer wrote:...claiming that surge suppressors restrict the voltage going to the amps...
An effect that can be measured with a cheap multimeter.

Measure it not happening and fry that guy.

Riffer

Re: Surge Suppression without line conditioning?

Post by Riffer » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:21 am

lm wrote:
Riffer wrote:...claiming that surge suppressors restrict the voltage going to the amps...
An effect that can be measured with a cheap multimeter.

Measure it not happening and fry that guy.
I know, but I wouldn't want to challenge his belief system :D

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:24 am

You'd be doing him a favor, really.

Ksanderash

Post by Ksanderash » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:44 am

A typical (no-name branded I mean) PC surge protector has only two components inside: a circuit breaker (usually combined with the on/off switch), and a metal oxide varistor (MOV) suppressor. The first thing acts when the current exceeds its Ampere rating, the second thing acts when a serious overvoltage occurs. So no that scary line conditioning at all with a cheap surge protector ;) You have got all what is there in the AC main, including non-audiophile dirties :D

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:08 am

Ksanderash wrote:A typical (no-name branded I mean) PC surge protector has only two components inside: a circuit breaker (usually combined with the on/off switch), and a metal oxide varistor (MOV) suppressor. The first thing acts when the current exceeds its Ampere rating, the second thing acts when a serious overvoltage occurs. So no that scary line conditioning at all with a cheap surge protector ;) You have got all what is there in the AC main, including non-audiophile dirties :D

Thanks, I've lent him a couple of APC ones from my spares box, so hopefully he will go with one of those.

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:09 am

lm wrote:You'd be doing him a favor, really.
Well I did get him to hook everything else to a BrickWall :D