Looking for a quiet PSU option in Antec Fusion case

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

topper

Looking for a quiet PSU option in Antec Fusion case

Post by topper » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:10 am

So I'm just building my second-ever HTPC - this one's for a friend. I'm using the Antec Fusion Black, which unlike the original Fusion, doesn't come with a PSU. I bought one of these: *grr, can't paste a URL in as I don't have enough posts*. See ebuyer, quickfind code 129422 - 500W with 12cm fan.

Even though I'm sure some will sneer, the reviews were decent enough, and it had a 12cm fan which promised quiet(er than average) operation. I installed it in the case, and I was quite pleased - it was louder than the Zalman CPU cooler, but not by much.

However, when I put the lid on, things went downhill. Those of you who know this case know that with the front panel facing you, the PSU goes in the top-left corner. I mounted it with the fan facing up, which was the obvious approach.

I'd have posted a .jpg here but I don't have enough posts yet.

With the lid on, the fan started to speed up, not massively, but enough to make the noise level too high (in my opinion). I suspect it's to do with the distance between the lid and fan, which is only 5cm - much less than it would be in a standard case. I'm guessing that it speeds up as it's having to work harder to get the same flow? Is this likely?

Anyway, my main questions are:
1. Am I likely to have this problem with any 12cm fan due to the case design?
2. If I am, is this a good option bearing in mind that I'm looking for value and an acceptable level of noise rather than the quietest and most expensive product? *again link deleted, Ebuyer code 120375 - Antec EarthWorks 380W*

All advice appreciated, thanks.

topper

Post by topper » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:31 am

Did I not word my post clearly enough? Would appreciate any guidance here, thank you. :)

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:04 pm

I take it that this is the PSUthat you've bought?

It looks like a pretty budget PSU. I would guess that the fan is just noisy, rather than it being a problem with the case. I have the Antec NSK2480, which is the same case but without the display, with a Corsair VX450 and the noise is acceptable for a HTPC.

You might want to look at the Corsair CX400 as a replacement PSU, which I think would be a little quieter than the Antec PSU you mentioned (which would also be a reasonable choice).

Also, while I'm not familiar with the brand, you might want to consider the be quiet! 350W Pure Power.

topper

Post by topper » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:57 pm

Thanks for the tips, will check them out. You're basically saying that fan size isn't directly related to noise levels?

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:03 pm

I second the CX400, mine is silent, and the sleeving is actually nice.

the only downside is that it has a lot of connectors for peripherals. if you don't have a lot, this isn't the PSU for you.

I wouldn't necessarily say go out and get a modular PSU, but the CX400 has a ton of connectors i have stuffed above my DVD drive because i have no other place for them. it's useless, i have 2 uses for molex connectors, my DVD drive and fans with 7v adapters. 6 molex connectors are useless to me...in a sense so are like 6 SATA, but they're more current.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:16 pm

topper wrote:Thanks for the tips, will check them out. You're basically saying that fan size isn't directly related to noise levels?
Larger fan sizes are typically quieter in PSUs. However, PSU fan noise mainly depends on the quality of the fan and the fan controller used in the PSU.

Corsair is a high-quality brand that has pretty quiet power supply fans and a good fan controller.

If you are only using the one DVD drive, you can hide all the excess cables under that drive.

topper

Post by topper » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:40 am

Thanks for the replies, will investigate the options you suggested and report back. :)

Merlinen

Post by Merlinen » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:34 am

My old HTPC was with a Antec Fusion and Corsair CX400 and the did work fine, only nois that did come from the case was my 2.5" hdd.

It dosen't mather that the CX400 have tons of cabel that you don't need sins the case is "split" in 2 part so it is only the ODD+PSU on the left side.

Did use a Scythe ninja mini with no fan only 1 nexus 120mm@7v on the right side of the case.