HELP: HEC TFX psu <--> SS TFX psu: different dimension

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

christnp

HELP: HEC TFX psu <--> SS TFX psu: different dimension

Post by christnp » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:06 pm

I reviewed a previous post concerning a very similar topic as the one I am about to post. The post I reviewed was very helpful and has confirmed the fact that I would like to purchase a 300W Sea Sonic TFX PSU. However, I still have one very major concern that I hope the members of silentpcreview can help me out with...

This is the case I am using as my home theater PC HEC micro-ATX HTPC case and, as you can probably see, it has the 270W HEC270FN2RX PSU mentioned in the post I reviewed (see here for more details on this particular PSU). As I mentioned above, I'd like to purchase the 300W Sea Sonic PSU rather than a 300W compucase psu (plus, I can't even find a 300W compucase PSU for sale in the US).

At any rate, the problem I am having is that "TFX" is apparently not a universal form factor because "TFX" for Compucase equates to 85x175x65mm (HxWxD) whereas for Sea Sonic it is 85x175x70mm (HxWxD). This is very annoying because I can't seem to find ANY power supplies that match Compucase's dimension scheme, thus, I am almost forced to buy another Compucase PSU (but as I already said, I just can't seem to find one in the US).

Well, enough of my ranting-and-raving... I am curious to know what everyone thinks -- would a Sea Sonic PSU be too risky of a purchase or would it be worth the extra work to modify my case? Or does anyone know where I could get a HEC-300FE-2RX or HEC-300FN-2RX in the US?

Thanks if advance!

-Nick

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:31 am

If you look at the Seasonic, you will notice that the part where the fan is mounted sticks out a bit. This probably accounts for the difference in the dimensions. I have the Seasonic, so if you want me to confirm any measurements, let me know.

christnp

Post by christnp » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:54 am

Thanks for the reply, I guess I had never really thought of the fan being the cause for the difference in depth... :D

Could you possibly give me the distance from the back of the PSU (where the cables are) to where the fan begins/ends?

There is a notch in my case that is suppose to hold the PSU into place and it currently lays on top of the fan in the Compucase PSU. I need ~4 inches of "65mm" depth from the back of my HTPC case to where the fan begins on the PSU (if that makes any sense at all).

-Nick

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:32 am

Done fairly quickly, so please excuse my lack of drawing skills:

rob77

Post by rob77 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:56 pm

Have you considered the Silverstone FSP300-65LD 300W TFX PSU?

The dimensions are the same as the HEC PSU - 65 mm (W) × 85 mm (H) × 175 mm (D)

As this is my first post, I can't provide any Links - but if you go the Silverstone site, you'll find the spec. and a picture of one in an LC11 case.

It's available in the US at Sundail Micro and probably elsewhere.