Corsair HX620 Replacement

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

markyb

Corsair HX620 Replacement

Post by markyb » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:23 pm

Hi all.
I bought a HX620 Corsair PSU some months ago for my first proper pc rig. The PSU seems fine and apart from the slight electrical noise it produces *altho cant be 100% sure its the PSU or Mobo* its worked great.

After some recent research ive come to realise that the 620W is WAYYYYY over kill for what i want or need. The pc is used for image/video editing and viewing. Some light gaming. and the list below is the components in the case..
Intel E8400 CPU dual core,
Asus P5Q deluxe P45 mobo,
4gb Kingston hyper-x 1066mhz
ATI sapphire HD4670

or viewtopic.php?t=54822&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

So i might be looking for a replacement and sell the Hx620 on..Basically because i now know its way over kill and can probably get a 520, 550 or 450 and still run it reliablity.. or do yo think its abit stupid? Just incase i wanna upgrade later on?
considering all options as well as fanless PSU's. The PSU is mounted the opposite way around on the Antec 300 i have.. not sure if this will make any different to the operation of a fanless?
comment appreciated as always :)

b_rubenstein

Post by b_rubenstein » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:13 am

Your setup is very similar to mine and a 400w PS is more than enough. However, the 620 is a very good PS and has a nice modular cable system (I have the HX520.) I don't see how you can sell it for what you paid for it, so you'll lose money on the change. A lower power PS will be a little more efficient at idle, but it's only a few watts and the difference in power usage would never pay for changing supplies. I would just keep the Corsair.

Mats

Post by Mats » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:21 am

I don't think your system is capable of using more than 150 W. Add an ATI 5850 and you still won't reach 250 W.

I think the new Nexus NX-5000 or Value 430 would be a good alternative.
Check out the big table here.

markyb

Post by markyb » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:28 pm

Thanks for your thoughts and posts people..

I originally set out it to be a bit of a monster. *compared to my ageing old bought 7 year old one it is!* and after having a 250W PSU in my old rig that wouldnt take anything bigger then a really old ATI Sapphire GPU so i made sure it would power the new GPU well enough. However i didnt get the one i wanted due to it being again a massive over kill for someone not gaming all the time. So after alot of research settled on the 4670 due to its good HD playback, good all round moderate gaming card and low power when idle. and fanless heatsink :)

The pc isnt my main pc anymore so i see what you mean. I also see with not getting back what i paid for the PSU. Id probably loose 20-30 Pounds then reduce the Wattage. might bring me even. But i really should have done fanless thinking about it :roll: darn it.. which are just as much as the corsair i have so yes id loose £30 ish..

It would be hard work all in all due to the cable management of the modular cabling anyway. So i'll see what happens. Im still really happy with it all. Just thought i might be able to squeeze a few more watts lower to help with energy bills and conservation..

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:58 pm

I have a 620 on a spare computer I use for business things. That is a glorious psu. It is better than 90% of the corsair offerings since it debuted. They cut the line a bit because of the severe expense of the unit.

whines huh? Hm. that's a bummer. I am betting you could get help from corsair? it has a huge warranty. I think 5 years.

average_joe

Post by average_joe » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:14 pm

My system...

viewtopic.php?t=57038

...peaks 260W during load. So my Corsair CX400W is really more than I need.

But selling a 620W and buy a 400 or 450 isnt sensible. Maybe Corsair will take it under their 5 year warranty?