PSU fan reaplcement

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

magu2k

PSU fan reaplcement

Post by magu2k » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:49 am

HI all this is my first post here, I am using an Earthwatts 750, and it is great so far although a bit noisier than I would like.
Any suggestions on what would be a good, reasonably quiet fan that would provide enough air to keep the PSU cool?

Edit: I was thinking like a Noctua but not sure if it is appropriate for this use, also if necessary, I am comfortable with soldering.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:43 pm

Go with a Scythe S-Flex 1600rpm if you are planning on soldering the fan to the PSU fan header for speed variations by voltage. This worked great in my noisy Zalman 600W PSU.

One tip - buy a 3pin fan extension cable and cut that to solder it to the PSU fan header. Then just attach the S-Flex to the fan cable, so you don't have to cut the wires on the fan itself for soldering.

magu2k

Post by magu2k » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:33 am

JamieG wrote:Go with a Scythe S-Flex 1600rpm if you are planning on soldering the fan to the PSU fan header for speed variations by voltage. This worked great in my noisy Zalman 600W PSU.

One tip - buy a 3pin fan extension cable and cut that to solder it to the PSU fan header. Then just attach the S-Flex to the fan cable, so you don't have to cut the wires on the fan itself for soldering.
Great thanks for the tip! I will try that. I think I might even have one of those cable sitting around or the parts needed t throw one together.

magu2k

Post by magu2k » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:17 pm

ok so I was doing some research on this and found the fan in this thing is 135mm kinda sucks well, I am going to check in panaflo has something but not so sure that will be a better option. If anyone has some suggestions please let me know.