Pico PSU for dummies

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

lucinski

Pico PSU for dummies

Post by lucinski » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:17 am

Hello fellow forum members,

I have recently been thinking on starting a new project: a mini-ITX gaming machine.

I've decided on the following components and them only:
- ZOTAC GF9300-I-E
- Core 2 Duo E8400 (65w)
- Radeon HD5850 (151w)
- Two DDR2 800Mhz sticks
- One SSD
- 2/3/4 Fans (depending on the cooling requirements)
- common keyboard + mouse

I was thinking I could power my configuration using two "picoPSU-150-XT + 102W Adapter Power Kits". One for the video card and one for the motherboard. Does this seem feasible?

I am highly ignorant when it comes to electricity requirements, amperages, voltages and so on, therefore if there is something in this area that I am missing please feel free to tell me about it.

I would very much appreciate your advice on this one. Thanks!

quest_for_silence

Re: Pico PSU for dummies

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:33 am

lucinski wrote:I've decided on the following components and them only:
- ZOTAC GF9300-I-E

It's too darn hot: you have to swap the chipset cooler, or use a different chipset than the MCP7A/nForce730i (otherwise unnecessary with a PCIe VGA).
lucinski wrote:Radeon HD5850

I guess it cannot be feeded by your double Pico kit (too few amperes).

Regards,
Luca

electrodacus
-- Vendor --

Post by electrodacus » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:34 am

Not possible with that video card 151 watt is to much for any PicoPSU or similar PSU
you will need a PSU that can deliver minimum 20A on 12V line
If you want to use that video card you will need a good quality 400W ATX PSU

MtnHermit

Post by MtnHermit » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:41 am

lucinski wrote:I was thinking I could power my configuration using two "picoPSU-150-XT + 102W Adapter Power Kits". One for the video card and one for the motherboard. Does this seem feasible?
Bad idea, cost and misapplication.

You don't indicate what form factor PSU your mini-ITX case requires. Get a 80+ PSU of ~300W in the form factor for that case and you'll be both money and satisfaction ahead.

lucinski

Post by lucinski » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:43 am

It's too darn hot: you have to swap the chipset cooler, or use a different chipset than the MCP7A/nForce730i (otherwise unnecessary with a PCIe VGA).

There are not too many mini-itx LGA775 boards out there that contain a PCI Express 16x slot. Do you know by any chance another one?

Not possible with that video card 151 watt is to much for any PicoPSU or similar PSU you will need a PSU that can deliver minimum 20A on 12V line
I already have a Corsair HX-520 in my current rig, I could use that one maybe, but I really wanted something fanless and tiny. Now I guess I'll have to figure out how to squeeze it into my future Silverstone SG-05/06. :(

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:22 pm

lucinski wrote:There are not too many mini-itx LGA775 boards out there that contain a PCI Express 16x slot. Do you know by any chance another one?
Why not the slightly less expensive Zotac GF9300-G-E? Iirc, the iGPU on this model is clocked 30% slower than the I-E one so it's bound to be a bit cooler. There's also the Zotac G43ITX-A-E which uses the Intel G43 chipset.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:45 pm

lucinski wrote:There are not too many mini-itx LGA775 boards out there that contain a PCI Express 16x slot. Do you know by any chance another one?

Do you really need a 775 board? There are also plenty of AMD boards, and even some 1156 ones (at least DFI, Intel and Zotac).

Anyway, someone told Zotac G41/G43, but if in case there are also several industrial motherboards such as the Commell LV678 or the MSI IM-Q35 (they are maybe a bit pricey).

Regards,
Luca

P.S.: FYI the SG05/06 already sports its own SFX 300W PSU.
Last edited by quest_for_silence on Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:50 pm

ilovejedd wrote:the iGPU on this model is clocked 30% slower than the I-E one so it's bound to be a bit cooler.

The nForce730i is really a pita, expecially in such a cramped space: in a miniITX format avoid it like the plague in any of its embodiment.
Moreover it's totally useless with a PCIe video card.

Regards,
Luca

lucinski

Post by lucinski » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:18 pm

@quest_for_silence

Thanks for the information provided so far.

Well I very well know that the Silverstone SG05 already has its own PSU but I am quite sure it will turn out insufficiently quiet for my tastes, that is why I am going to change it with my Corsair PSU.

As for the ZOTAC GF9300-I-E why do you think it will be that hot? Since I am going to use a dedicated GPU, there will not be any heat coming from the GeForce 9300 and in the end how hot can that nforce chipset actually be without its integrated GPU?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:48 pm

lucinski wrote:I am quite sure it will turn out insufficiently quiet for my tastes

I mean that you need a SFX format PSU, such as some Be Quiet PSUs. Even Seasonic, among the well known firms, has some enough powerful 80+ SFX PSUs. Even so, your mileage may vary.

Or you may just swap the fan on the Silverstone, wiring the new one onto a mobo's fan header: it's a more straight approach and give easily good results.

Eventually you may choose the SG03/04, which accepts any std ATX PSU (maybe not the modular ones), while being still small.
lucinski wrote:As for the ZOTAC GF9300-I-E why do you think it will be that hot?

I currently use two GF9300: even with a HD4650 this chipset (with the standard heatsink) is ridiculously hot, and to me it's too bad in small environments when aiming at some quietness.

I've tamed them (-20°C) with an overkill, the Thermalright HR05 IFX, but in a miniITX case could not be enough room for it. As an example i3/H55 has better thermal envelope while similar performance.

Regards,
Luca

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:51 pm

@Luca
Just curious, what would you define as too hot? I actually have a Zotac GF9300-G-E in a fairly cramped case (InWin BQ656) and am getting 48~50C at 23C ambient.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:22 pm

ilovejedd wrote:@Luca
Just curious, what would you define as too hot?
Before the TR, the nForce730i staid at idle around 62°C, but above all it can not complete a 15 min FurMark stability test.
Now it idles 50°C, and it's at 75°C after 2hrs of FurMark.
I don't know how you cool your very small case, but these results are obtained with one Slipstream running at ~380rpm (on the cpu heatsink: before I used even a second 500rpm Slipstream as case fan).

Regards,
Luca

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:07 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:Before the TR, the nForce730i staid at idle around 62°C, but above all it can not complete a 15 min FurMark stability test.
Now it idles 50°C, and it's at 75°C after 2hrs of FurMark.
I don't know how you cool your very small case, but these results are obtained with one Slipstream running at ~380rpm (on the cpu heatsink: before I used even a second 500rpm Slipstream as case fan).
Thanks for the info. I have no other fans aside from the Intel stock cooler. :P

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:20 pm

ilovejedd wrote:I have no other fans aside from the Intel stock cooler

A good result for the stock configuration: I guess you have found an above average sample of Intel HS, at least for noise.

How much is the temperature while doing the known SPCR stress test (CPUBurn/Prime95 for each core, plus FurMark)?

Regards,
Luca

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:45 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:A good result for the stock configuration: I guess you have found an above average sample of Intel HS, at least for noise.
Not really. However, it's an HTPC that will be sitting behind the TV, not to mention noise floor in our apartment is higher than most SPCR members.
quest_for_silence wrote:How much is the temperature while doing the known SPCR stress test (CPUBurn/Prime95 for each core, plus FurMark)?
I wrote down all that info somewhere but now, I can't find the paper. From what I recall, CPU was mid to high 50's and the GPU went up to 65 with Intel Burn Test+FurMark 30 mins. Idle CPU was around 33~35C, iirc. I think I also tried CPUBurn but IBT stressed the CPU more. Again, though, tests were done on a fairly cool 73F (23C) ambient.