Need some help interpreting power consumption results

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

pete6032

Need some help interpreting power consumption results

Post by pete6032 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:28 pm

I am considering getting a Winmate 130w power supply and using a 160watt brick that Electrodacus recommended. I have a 780g system with an Athlon 4850e, 2 HDDs, Blu Ray, and an HD5450, as well as several USB devices (blue tooth, wireless keyboard, wireless N adapter).

I just got a Kill-a-Watt and tried doing some stress tests to see what kind of power the system was consuming before I made the switch. Right now I have a 430w Antec Earthwatts 80+. I plugged the Kill a Watt into the wall and plugged the PSU into the Kill a Watt. I ran 3dmark Vantage, played some Blu Rays, and checked the startup power draw.

On start up the machine seems to draw about 95 watts (~100 VA). Playing Blu Rays it draws about 80w (~85 VA). When I ran 3dmark Vantage, it was consistently consuming about 85w (~90 VA), but when I got to the CPU stress test in Vantage the system was consuming about 95w (~100 VA).

Would a Winmate + power brick work for this system? Are there any other tests that I can run to see if I can generate an even higher power draw? I don't anticipate using the system for any heavy gaming, just using Windows Media center and for web surfing, some encoding, and playing Blu Rays.

electrodacus
-- Vendor --

Re: Need some help interpreting power consumption results

Post by electrodacus » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:19 pm

I just answered to your message.
Prime 95 for CPU + 3Dmark for video and copping a large file from DVD to HDD will give you the worst case power consumption.
I will also like to see the idle power it will also be important.

ces

Re: Need some help interpreting power consumption results

Post by ces » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:38 pm

electrodacus wrote:I just answered to your message.
Prime 95 for CPU + 3Dmark for video and copping a large file from DVD to HDD will give you the worst case power consumption.
I will also like to see the idle power it will also be important.
electrodacus

Would you take a look at this question and comment? It's about power consumption. Thanks
viewtopic.php?t=58327

speedboxx

Post by speedboxx » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:31 pm

Your Winmate should work. I wouldnt expect overall efficiency to be that much more than your existing Antec Earthwatts though. Im using a 90% efficient power brick (which is pretty high) with my Winmate and I only saved about 3 watts from switching out of my old Earthwatts.