Quiet PSU suggestion ~ 400 - 450W

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

hybry

Quiet PSU suggestion ~ 400 - 450W

Post by hybry » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:37 pm

My quiet media PC build somehow grew into a gaming PC build, and at this point my concern is PSU. I hope that I will manage to get more money and in that case I will change the case from SG06 to Lian Li PC Q08. (looked at SG07 but i much prefer the looks of Q08 and it has USB3 front ports which is huge plus)

Hardware will either be ASUS M4A88T-I Deluxe with Phenom II 555 or GA-H55M-USB3 with Core i3 530.

Since for a while (hope to put in graphics card around Christams) it will be a quiet media PC that is on 24/7 I want a quiet PSU.

3 choices that I am considering at the moment are:
*Enermax Pro 82+ II 425W, price 61LVL
*Corsair VX series 450-550W Pirce just below 60LVL (450 and 550 cost around the same)
*Seasonic S12II 430W price 49LVL
Any other better choices in same price range are welcome!

Is there audiable difference between these, as they all are suppsoed to be quiet and rated 80+? Or should the price be the only differenciator?

datapappan

Post by datapappan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:20 am

What graphics card are you planning for? The Phenom II has a TDP of 80 W, maybe a Pico-PSU would fit the bill?

/ d

hybry

Post by hybry » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:57 am

I plan something high end, at least GTX 460. Considering I will buy some time around Christams it will most likely be something from ATI 68xx or 69xx series.

quest_for_silence

Re: Quiet PSU suggestion ~ 400 - 450W

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:22 am

hybry wrote:3 choices that I am considering at the moment are:
*Corsair VX series 450-550W Pirce just below 60LVL (450 and 550 cost around the same)

Talking just about PSUs, maybe you haven't already red SPCR noise charts.

However, the VX550 is unbearably loud, from a silence perspective, while the Seasonic and VX450, even if reasonably quiet, should be much noisier than the Enermax, which is a far more recent and efficient product. Especially at idle or low load (as at night).

Also I have a Seasonic based Antec PSU which - iirc - should be comparable with the quieter Corsair and Seasonic, and it's not comfortable hearing it at night.

Noise also depends by distance from PC and its placing.

Last but not least, dealing with small enclosures, a fully modular PSU should be mandatory: in this respect, something like the Enermax (or a CoolerMaster Silent Pro M, for example) should be the bare minimum, nothing like the Corsair or Seasonic would comfortably fit.

hybry

Post by hybry » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:45 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
hybry wrote:3 choices that I am considering at the moment are:

Talking just about PSUs, maybe you haven't already red SPCR noise charts.

However, the VX550 is unbearably loud, from a silence perspective, while the Seasonic and VX450, even if reasonably quiet, should be much noisier than the Enermax, which is a far more recent and efficient product. Especially at idle or low load (as at night).

Also I have a Seasonic based Antec PSU which - iirc - should be comparable with the quieter Corsair and Seasonic, and it's not comfortable hearing it at night.

Noise also depends by distance from PC and its placing.

Last but not least, dealing with small enclosures, a fully modular PSU should be mandatory: in this respect, something like the Enermax (or a CoolerMaster Silent Pro M, for example) should be the bare minimum, nothing like the Corsair or Seasonic would comfortably fit.

Indeed I must have missed the charts. I looked through the reviews and could not get a conclusive answer. I got as far as to say Seasonic and Corsair (450W) is roughly the same thing, so could go for the cheapest there. But I had no idea about the Enermax. Thanks about that.

While I know modular will be better, I am not sure I want to pay extra for that. And since I do not plan to use all HDD bays I am sure I can hide the spare cables in there. :)

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:02 am

hybry wrote:Indeed I must have missed the charts. I looked through the reviews and could not get a conclusive answer. I got as far as to say Seasonic and Corsair (450W) is roughly the same thing, so could go for the cheapest there. But I had no idea about the Enermax. Thanks about that.

Well, you're right, it's not so straightforward.

Since the introduction of SPCR anechoic chamber (at the end of 2008), several PSUs have been silently re-tested, finding more relevant numbers: you may find them either in the comparison table and in some .mp3 files at the end of more recent reviews. So actually there isn't an organic set of data and resources to rely upon.

Incidentally I own an Antec EarthWatts, which showed similar numbers at low loads, with respect with those 21-22dB of both Seasonic and Corsair: trust me, it's a tad loud to be plainly said "quiet".

The Enermax (SPCR officially tested the 625W, but unoficially tested even the smaller 425W, you may find its .mp3 files in some newer reviews) in the new testing set showed much better results than the original ones (from 19dB to 13dB at low loads, I guess): well, I own an Enermax Pro82+ 425W, and definitely it's a lot quieter than my EarthWatts, even if sealed in a similar (well, maybe even a bit less quiet) enclosure (the Enermax powers an Antec NSK4400-II based file server, while the EA is in an Antec NSK3480 based workstation).

Then I'm fairly confident it should be substantially quieter than those Corsair and Seasonic.
hybry wrote:While I know modular will be better, I am not sure I want to pay extra for that. And since I do not plan to use all HDD bays I am sure I can hide the spare cables in there.

It's not just an assembly matter: cables in excess would (more probably that not) impede airflow (and therefore even cooling) in such a small space, take care of it.

hybry

Post by hybry » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:47 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
hybry wrote:Indeed I must have missed the charts. I looked through the reviews and could not get a conclusive answer. I got as far as to say Seasonic and Corsair (450W) is roughly the same thing, so could go for the cheapest there. But I had no idea about the Enermax. Thanks about that.

Well, you're right, it's not so straightforward.

Since the introduction of SPCR anechoic chamber (at the end of 2008), several PSUs have been silently re-tested, finding more relevant numbers: you may find them either in the comparison table and in some .mp3 files at the end of more recent reviews. So actually there isn't an organic set of data and resources to rely upon.

Incidentally I own an Antec EarthWatts, which showed similar numbers at low loads, with respect with those 21-22dB of both Seasonic and Corsair: trust me, it's a tad loud to be plainly said "quiet".

The Enermax (SPCR officially tested the 625W, but unoficially tested even the smaller 425W, you may find its .mp3 files in some newer reviews) in the new testing set showed much better results than the original ones (from 19dB to 13dB at low loads, I guess): well, I own an Enermax Pro82+ 425W, and definitely it's a lot quieter than my EarthWatts, even if sealed in a similar (well, maybe even a bit less quiet) enclosure (the Enermax powers an Antec NSK4400-II based file server, while the EA is in an Antec NSK3480 based workstation).

Then I'm fairly confident it should be substantially quieter than those Corsair and Seasonic.
hybry wrote:While I know modular will be better, I am not sure I want to pay extra for that. And since I do not plan to use all HDD bays I am sure I can hide the spare cables in there.

It's not just an assembly matter: cables in excess would (more probably that not) impede airflow (and therefore even cooling) in such a small space, take care of it.
If you look at the picture Image, there seems to ample room between the DVD drive bay and the side panel to store all the cables. And they should be out of the way from airflow as well. Incidently the entire side between the drive cage and side panel should be decent for storing cables that are out of the way. But if I have the money I will most certanly get the Modu82+

Thanks for the input!

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:11 pm

hybry wrote:Incidently the entire side between the drive cage and side panel should be decent for storing cables that are out of the way.

If you give a look at the cage, you may easily note it isn't solid, it's widely punched, and if you give a further look on its right, you may see a large fan.
I don't know the Lian-li airflow, but if that fan is intended only for the cage, your idea may work.
Otherwise, it won't (I guess).

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:13 pm

There is NO room to store cables between PSU and side panel -- only on the bottom and that will be ytoublesome when you install a video card.

I strongly recommend a PSU with modular cables. Esp. one that lets you pull most or all of the cables, like the Seasonic X series. I've seen both X560 and x650 for ~$120, which is not too bad, imo. With the PSU mounted the way it is, you will really appreciate only haivng the cable you absolutely need -- and to be able to connect cables only when you're ready. Best sequence is to install the mobo, connect all cables to it, install PSU & cables, install HDD and plug in cables.

It's true that before/after anechoic chamber acoustic measurements can cause some confusion. But just look at any recent PSU review. One of the last pages always has a big table showing SPL of all anechoic-chamber tested PSUs, at different loads. That's the best snapshot of most of the bonafide quiet PSU contenders.

hybry

Post by hybry » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:43 pm

MikeC wrote:There is NO room to store cables between PSU and side panel -- only on the bottom and that will be ytoublesome when you install a video card.

I strongly recommend a PSU with modular cables. Esp. one that lets you pull most or all of the cables, like the Seasonic X series. I've seen both X560 and x650 for ~$120, which is not too bad, imo. With the PSU mounted the way it is, you will really appreciate only haivng the cable you absolutely need -- and to be able to connect cables only when you're ready. Best sequence is to install the mobo, connect all cables to it, install PSU & cables, install HDD and plug in cables.

It's true that before/after anechoic chamber acoustic measurements can cause some confusion. But just look at any recent PSU review. One of the last pages always has a big table showing SPL of all anechoic-chamber tested PSUs, at different loads. That's the best snapshot of most of the bonafide quiet PSU contenders.
Seasonic X series are not available for me here, so I suppose the choice is enermax 82+. And you guys make a very strong cese for going modular.

Note that I was planning to store the cables between the 5.25" bay and side panel, and it looks like there is well over inch of space. Plus i read in some review (might have been a Sugo case) where they said it is good to cover the holes near intake fan so that the air gets it to the motherboard?

amdk62

Post by amdk62 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:16 am

Hi. I am interested in this topic because I too am after a 400-500 watt psu that is very quiet. The enermax pro and modu82 425 watt looks like a awesome supply! The problem is it is discontinued everywhere I look :( Does anyone know where to purchase one? Also if they are discontinuing it, would it not too be a older design like the corsair etc?

hybry

Post by hybry » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:11 am

amdk62 wrote:Hi. I am interested in this topic because I too am after a 400-500 watt psu that is very quiet. The enermax pro and modu82 425 watt looks like a awesome supply! The problem is it is discontinued everywhere I look :( Does anyone know where to purchase one? Also if they are discontinuing it, would it not too be a older design like the corsair etc?
Look at Nexus Value 430. It is among SPCR recomended PSUs I believe. Seasonic X series are fanless in this W range :)