Silverstone ST40F-ES - Noise level ?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Gramkow

Silverstone ST40F-ES - Noise level ?

Post by Gramkow » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:41 am

Hi there.

A little background:
I am currently in the process of putting together an extra WHS build for the new Home Server Vail. Have decided on a Lian Li PC-Q07 case, since the build will be using either iSCSI or eSATA for the primary storage pool.
The box is going to be fitted with an Asus Hummingbird mITX server board (dual core Atom D510, passive cooling), and will likely hold 2 hard drives (WD GreenPower), no optical drive.

Have been looking around for a decent - and quiet PSU for the system, and since the PC-Q07 will take a standard ATX PSU, I am looking for a cheap(ish) unit for this. Stumbled upon the Silverstone ST40F-ES at one of the online retailers I normally get my stuff from.

Now the question - does anybody have any experience with this unit - especially concerning the noise level. It's going to be a fairly low-powered box, as you can imagine from the specs. Alternatively, I am looking at a Seasonic S12-330. Don't need a modular PSU (though it would be nice), since I have reasonable space available for tucking away cables.

Any feedback appreciated - thanks.

Regards,
Lars

loimlo

Re: Silverstone ST40F-ES - Noise level ?

Post by loimlo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:03 pm

As it's constantly on sale for USD33 here, I purchased one Silverstone ST40F-ES for a friend's modest gaming PC. For noise level, it's as quiet as Seasonic S12 series at light load. I can't hear bearing noise at close proximity. Sorry that I can't comment on high load as the PC can only consume 170 AC watts. I'm satisfied with this budget PSU for its out-of-box acoustic performance. :lol:

Btw, Chinese reviews stated fan speed 660RPM at low load. Frankly, it's the review that made me pull the trigger.
http://digi.163.com/12/0201/05/7P5FU4GO00163HEA.html
http://power.zol.com.cn/196/1962060.html