Modular, quiet 500-600W PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

ermi

Modular, quiet 500-600W PSU

Post by ermi » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:47 am

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a modular PSU of about 500-600W. Actually the nominal wattage is not so important as long as it's 400+, but it needs to be quiet up to about 250-300W load (overclocked quad + a ~100W graphics card).

The PSU will be at the top inside the case, so it will mostly take in hot air.

I'd like to stay below 100 €/$ if possible. Based on what's available around here I'm considering:
Cooler Master Silent Pro M500 or M600 (the cheapest ones, not sure about M500's electrical performance)
Corsair HX 520W (5 year warranty, supposed to be very good in terms of current/power)
Enermax Modu82+ 525W (should be the quietest, but most expensive, only 2 year warranty)

The Corsair is looking best, based on what I've read (except for the possible buzzing). But I've also read here of someone who's replacing the fan because it's too loud. From what I've read it should be very quiet new. Does it get louder after some time? Would Corsair (or in fact anybody else) replace a PSU's fan that got louder under warranty?

Any other suggestions?

To give you an idea.. currently the loudest component in my system are the two Samsung HDDs (F3 1 TB and F2 1.5 TB), which are suspended on elastics. So it's a pretty quiet system. The current PSU is an older LC Power 550W, which is still fine as far as I can tell (and very quiet - the 14 cm fan barely spins, but it has a bit of mechanical noise), but when I get a more powerful graphics card I want to be on the safe side.

lodestar

Re: Modular, quiet 500-600W PSU

Post by lodestar » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:23 am

I would not recommend Enermax because of their non-standard fan arrangement. Maybe you should consider the Gold ranges of PSUs that are going to both more efficient and probably quieter, but do cost a bit more. Cooler Master have the Silent Pro Gold 600w that is priced about 10% more than the Enermax 525 here in the UK. There is also the Seasonic X-560 which costs about 25% more.

ermi

Post by ermi » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:03 am

lodestar wrote:non-standard fan arrangement.
What do you mean? Non standard dimensions?

I checked the two PSUs you mentioned. They look good. Slightly more expesive than I'd want, but I think I could spend a bit more if the PSU is really good, long lasting and quiet.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:23 am

As a long time Corsair HX520 owner (3+ years) I can tell you that it's not the most quiet of PSUs. Don't get me wrong, at the time it was one of the best but times change, and what was quiet 4 years ago isn't really that quiet now. It's now the noisiest component inside my computer.

I never really noticed it getting noisier with time, however for the past year or so it has started making a strange noise when I turn on my computer, as if the fan was hitting a cable or a wire. It goes away after a while though and it happens completely randomly.
And yes, Corsair would replace your PSU if it should have such a problem. I just won't RMA because: a) they'll replace it with a much noisier HX650 (as reported by many) and b) I don't really want to be without my main/gaming computer for weeks.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:07 am

ermi wrote:What do you mean? Non standard dimensions?
It's a non-PWM fan unique to Enermax power supplies, which has been customised to work at ultra low voltages. Enermax will of course replace it if it becomes noisy during the warranty period, but as the fan is not otherwise available it is unclear what happens when the warranty period is up. For me this is unacceptable bearing in mind the premium prices that Enermax PSUs command.

ermi

Post by ermi » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:13 am

Thanks for that, good to know.

@rpsgc: Yeah, I've been looking at more reviews and the HX 520 is out. It never was the quietest, even brand new. But if you (and some others) say that it gets louder later and the risk of getting a buzzer.. I'll pass.

I'm seriously looking at the high efficiency "gold" PSUs, as suggested by lodestar.

Currently (I still have research to do) my top two candidates would be the Enermax Modu87+ 500W and the Seasonic X-560.
The former always spins, even at idle, which is not bad as I wouldn't mind some additional airflow for the whole case. It's always supposed to be extremely quiet/inaudible, tho. The X-560 supposedly doesn't spin at idle (don't really know the threshold) and even when it does spin it's also very quiet. I'll wait for some more reviews, tho, it's a relatively new unit. Electrically, the Seasonic is extremely good and it could be better than the Modu.

edit: now that I think about it.. I could just get the fanless X-460 or X-400 and forget about the whole fan business altogether.. hmmm.. I know I'll never need more than 400W of power, so the only doubt remains if the thing will still work at the top of a very hot case.

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:20 am

OCZ ModXStream 500w is very quiet in my opinion. I cant hear it in my system at idle or load. (i only hear my Harddisk)

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:03 pm

Corsair HX 520W all the way your not going get any better then other then being expensive it's just modular Seasonic, nothing more to say other then that.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:57 pm

The Corsair HX520W served me well in the previous rig. Reliable, quiet, powerful.

Today I would probably pick a newer model for improved silence and cabling, and seeing as the Corsair was based on (or rather OF) Seasonic design, I would probably go for their X series, like the X-650 reviewed by SPCR. I've also had my eye on the Enermax Modu PSUs, but the Seasonic has the advantage of being fully modular.

I picked my current Nexus based on value and availability, and it's not so bad in a big case like the P182 I have. Modular will be a must when I go for my mATX build though.

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:12 am

I still love my HX520, but there's no way I'd buy it new now. It's a totally outdated model at this point. You might as well pick up something newer with high efficiency and a quieter fan. Also it's not like the HX520 is particularly cheap either.

Parappaman

Post by Parappaman » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:08 am

Don't forget to check BeQuiet! E7 CM 480w or 580w. They're 80+ bronze certified and have pretty competitive prices for the quality you get.
The CoolerMaster M600 is a good choice too.