Repair dell da-2?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

lesticx

Repair dell da-2?

Post by lesticx » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:11 am

Hi,

I bought a dell da-2 power adapter from ebay, and it's not working. I contacted the seller, and they are sending me a brand new one :) and they didn't want the old one back.

So I'm wondering if it might be simple to fix.
When I connect the ac cable to the adapter, the light doesn't turn amber (which I believe it should?) and I tried to short both of the "remote" pins to gnd, and it didn't turn on.

Maybe it's something as simple as a blown fuse?
Has anybody opened one of these? Is there a fuse etc inside that might be blown?
What about the fuses in the power cord? There's 2 fuses in the cord that comes off the adapter. How can you determine if one of these is blown?

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Repair dell da-2?

Post by Vicotnik » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:23 am

There's a fuse inside the box. Those things on the cord are ferrite cores, not fuses.

I have opened my DA-2 once, but that was a long time ago and I haven't tinkered with it much so I'm no expert on the DA-2.

lesticx

Post by lesticx » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:56 am

Ok, finally I had some time to tinker with this thing. Opened it up, but couldn't find a fuse.. :/

Here's a couple of pictures of the insides. Also there clearly was a burnt smell, so maybe I'll just chuck this thing..

[URL=http://img153.imageshack.us/i/img1795a.jpg/]Image

Is there supposed to be a fuse somewhere here? if there is, I can't see it.. All the capacitors look to be good, so what else could have blown?

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:20 am

There are a couple of different versions of the DA-2. Mine is a bit different from yours. On mine the fuse is a bit tucked away. It's quite small and there's lots of shielding everywhere.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lesticx

Post by lesticx » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:53 am

Thanx for the info! Well, it seems to one I have doesn't have a fuse, at least I can't find it :/
It's revision A00.

Apart from changing a fuse, fixing this is way over my head.. so I'll just give it away to someone who knows how to fix these things..

Ksanderash

Post by Ksanderash » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:37 pm

lesticx wrote: at least I can't find it :/
This one maybe? With the more detailed photo (and the opposite board side too) I can tell you for sure.

lesticx

Post by lesticx » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:57 am

Thanks for help, but I already gave it away to a guy who's more of an expert in these things.. I did get a new one from the seller anyway, so I didn't really need this and didn't trust my electronics skills enough..

Ksanderash

Post by Ksanderash » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:47 am

No problem :)