TFX or PicoPsu?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

bsh

TFX or PicoPsu?

Post by bsh » Sun May 05, 2013 11:27 pm

Hi guys,

I decided to replace my small home server (an Asus EEEBOX B202 with Atom N270) with something a little faster (not that I really need it, just for fun.) It's running 24/7.
The thing is made out of a Gigabyte GA-B75N motherboard, 2x2GB Kingston Ram, i3 3220T (for now with stock cooler, which is surprisingly silent), an ssd, and it's put into a Chieftec FI-01B case with a Chieftec branded TFX PSU.
The problem is, the PSU is terribly loud. (And it has very bad efficiency too, but that'd be less important.) It is so loud that I can hear it from ca. 5 meters, even if the whole thing is stuck behind my tv set in a cupboard.
So I can't use it as is.
My options would be:
- Mod the PSU with a 8cm Noctua fan, not sure if it would have enough static pressure, and if it would fit inside the PSU (most likely not)
- Get a Seasonic SS-300TGW (or TGM, or the 350W version of it.). The problem is, these things are damn hard to find. Actually no shop has it in Hungary. And only found two sources from Germany, which would cost me about 80€ delivered... :roll:
- or scrap the psu and put in some pico psu thingy. The problem with this, it is not cheap either, plus they run hot and there's no cooling in the case at all.
- remove the cover of the psu and put a 120mm fan on the top vent of the case, and connect it to the psu...?

Btw, the whole thing consumes about 12W on average (even with this crap psu). sometimes dips to 9W, or goes up to 30-40 sometimes.
Here's a pic.

So I was wondering what would you recommend... I know virtually nothing about pico psu's. But I tend to get the seasonic psu. IT would probably be the better solution. Waht do you think?

Cistron

Re: TFX or PicoPsu?

Post by Cistron » Mon May 06, 2013 12:44 am

Hello!
bsh wrote:- Mod the PSU with a 8cm Noctua fan, not sure if it would have enough static pressure, and if it would fit inside the PSU (most likely not)
I dare say that even at 50% efficiency losses at such low wattage (12W), the fan should be able to easily clear out the heat. I also doubt you make your money back any time soon for reduced consumption with a new PSU.

bsh

Post by bsh » Mon May 06, 2013 1:08 am

Cistron wrote:I dare say that even at 50% efficiency losses at such low wattage (12W), the fan should be able to easily clear out the heat. I also doubt you make your money back any time soon for reduced consumption with a new PSU.
yes, I don't have too much concern about that either (only a little), nor the consumption is too important (its not all about money). And I would do this mod, however I'm 99% sure the 25mm thick Noctua fan would not fit into the psu so this is most likely not an option. Also, the Seasonic would run entirely fanless with such low power consumptions.
I'm considering the removal of the PSU cover, putting a large alu heatsink on the cpu, sealing all the ventilation holes on the case, and putting a 120mm fan on the case cover vent mesh, blowing onto the motherboard, and the air be forced to leave through the only available exit: the psu's back. Would this work? This would be the cheapest i think.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon May 06, 2013 8:41 am

I would go with the picoPSU, i run my 2100T with a 150XT and no issues after 2 years, totally inaudible the brick n psu. The only issue that i see is that the PSU does function as exit of heat, not sure how it will end up without it in terms of cooling, test it how it goes else mod the case for a low rpm fan.

bsh

Post by bsh » Wed May 15, 2013 9:53 pm

I ended up buying a SeaSonic SS300TGW. Had to import from Germany.
It squeaks. :x

edh

Post by edh » Thu May 16, 2013 1:06 am

bsh wrote:I ended up buying a SeaSonic SS300TGW. Had to import from Germany.
It squeaks. :x
Have you had a look at this:
viewtopic.php?p=573359#p573359

Might not apply to this series but worth looking at.

bsh

Post by bsh » Thu May 16, 2013 11:32 am

edh wrote: Have you had a look at this:
viewtopic.php?p=573359#p573359

Might not apply to this series but worth looking at.
I have disabled everything in the bios, including audio, nic #2, all sata ports except the one i'm using, etc. Energy saving stuff is all enabled. The system draws 9-13 watts running all the services I need, plus a VNC session with a desktop and a java app. And this was measured with the Chieftec psu, I guess the Seasonic may draw a tiny bit less.
Some pics: pic1 pic2 pic3 pic4