Best value contender

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

antiatavist

Best value contender

Post by antiatavist » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:53 am

I think it might be EVGA SuperNova 750 G2:
-silent operation
-gold plus
-fully modular
-140mm fan
-reasonable price
-10 year warranty

edh

Re: Best value contender

Post by edh » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:37 am

Best value contender for what? I can't find any reliable noise based review of it so I would not jump to the conclusion of thinking it's quiet. It's also from a company more targetted at 'gamers' so silence is unlikely to be the highest design criteria and also very importantly, 750W is not a value level component. To use anything like that power level you would need extreme high end hardware so the PSU would hardly be something to scrimp on and noise wouoldn't matter as the rest of the system would be so loud!

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:41 am

edh wrote:I can't find any reliable noise based review of it so I would not jump to the conclusion of thinking it's quiet.

Did you check that PSU? From your comments I feel like you don't know that much about it.
Anyway, AFAIK at least two well known co-forumers used it (doveman, Abula), and even in my opinion it is a quiet unit for most of the rigs out there.

Said that, also I did not understand what antiatavist meant with his post.

antiatavist

Post by antiatavist » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:52 am

From what I've read if you have a single high-end GPU the thing barely even turns on.
And one guy who has it said he can't hear it at all, including whining and other noises PSUs tend to produce.

Anyway, I'm not at all familiar with this company, didn't even realize they produced PSUs.

Just the warranty is double than anything I've seen.

antiatavist

Post by antiatavist » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:55 am

quest_for_silence wrote: Said that, also I did not understand what antiatavist meant with his post.
Let's see, we are on a silentpcforum posting about PSU, and I put "best value" in the title...what on earth could I be talking about??

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:00 pm

antiatavist wrote:Let's see, we are on a silentpcforum posting about PSU, and I put "best value" in the title...what on earth could I be talking about??

You can not take anything for granted when it comes to subjective evaluations.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:37 pm

I have used a EVGA Supernova 750 V2, in build that i did for a friend, Link. The PSU has no coil and its semi passive (can be chosen with the switch), the PSU is solid, well made, its based on the award winning superflower leadex, just not platinum and some changes in the internal circuity, i never really heard any noisy from it, the case fans even lowered were more noticeable than the PSU, the only cons are its size, its very big, and its wattage, not that many need 750W, but past those two cons, its a superb psu, really for the price its hard to get a better psu. For someone looking to do a SLI/Xfire setup for the future, i think its a prefect choice.

antiatavist

Post by antiatavist » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:14 pm

There you go, it's definitely on my list now.

As for the "very big" comment, is that an issue with normal ATX cases like Carbide 330R?
Also, from those pictures...is the PSU fan at the bottom? So, the case has to have 140mm grill?

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:40 pm

antiatavist wrote:As for the "very big" comment, is that an issue with normal ATX cases like Carbide 330R?
On the 330R i dont think you will have an issue, but in cases like the R4 it will not allow to use the bottom fan, on the Phantek there was no issues, well there was one.... one of the rubber grummerts on the bottom had to be repositioned as it didnt allow to the PSU to be align correctly with the back mounting holes/screws.
antiatavist wrote:Also, from those pictures...is the PSU fan at the bottom? So, the case has to have 140mm grill?
You can mount it either way, its up to you, on the Phantek it does have opening on the bottom with a filter, either way should work fine, with the bottom down it should kinda be an isolated of the other components grabbing fresh air from the bottom, with the fan up should help it cool down on passive mode, with the convection of hot air rising, but when there are fans moving air already its hard to say if its going to behave like that, this could easily become an outtake due to air pressure inside the case or could become an intake if there is negative preassure... either way this is more a personal preference, test it either way, go with what works for you better.

One thing to keep in mind about the 330R is that the frontal fans will be restricted somewhat because of their design, thus not an ideal case for airflow or multi gpu setup, its a good value case, thats about it, but i would probably would go with a smaller PSU if no multi gpu is in mind, 750W is a lot of whats for how GPU and CPUs are, but either way its your choice.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:03 am

Abula wrote:One thing to keep in mind about the 330R is that the frontal fans will be restricted somewhat because of their design, thus not an ideal case for airflow or multi gpu setup, its a good value case, thats about it, but i would probably would go with a smaller PSU if no multi gpu is in mind, 750W is a lot of whats for how GPU and CPUs are, but either way its your choice.

Quality wise the 330R has a little to do with the R4: it's loosely based on the entry level Corsair Carbide 200R, and even if it comes with stock padding, and above all with a better airflow, it's still a value case sold for about the price of a higher build quality enclosure (as the Define R4 is), but with worse sounding stock fans.

In my opinion both (R4 and 330R) are not well suited for multi-gpu setups, where "your" Phanteks Enthoo Pro (as well as, more or less, similar enclosures, like the Corsair Obsidian 450D) is a more sensible choice for the noise-conscious gamer (but it doesn't have the sleek design of those padded cases). On the other hand, for a single graphics rig, both would work without many hassles: probably the Corsair could be slightly cooler for the CPU, while the R4 might perform a tad better at cooling the GPU, but that's all.

bastiaan

Post by bastiaan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:39 am

antiatavist wrote:From what I've read if you have a single high-end GPU the thing barely even turns on.
If you are building a system with a single GPU then the best, best value contender is probably a good quality 500W PSU.

cerbie

Post by cerbie » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:13 am

Single high-end GPU is too variable. Stock v. stock, a single GTX 980 could use 100W or more less than a R9 290X (counting common models often over GPU maker's speed specs at "stock").

I paid a bit less than the EVGA 750W's cost for a fanless 500W. I doubt I'll ever reach more than 250W from the wall, even with future GPU upgrades. Just having a fan makes for a worse value, there.

You need to use what info you can to approximate your power usage, then apply that. Then, maybe even measure what it actually is, once installed.

Not to say that's a bad PSU. It seems to be quite a good one, and is semi-passive. But, not having a range of output options at different price points, it's hard to call it a good value with broad strokes.