New PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

karkee

New PSU

Post by karkee » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:41 am

Hey yesterday my superflower golden king 550w went to heaven :( I was so happy with it, had it from the day it was available :(

Now I want a similar PSU with same, maybi with some more watt but the thing I was so happy about it almost never turned on the fan in my rig even under load... and I pretty much want the same, and if it did it was very very low RPM.

I can get these very cheap... almost half the price from my reseller...

Leadex 80 Plus Titanium Netzteil - 850 Watt

Leadex 80 Plus Platinum Netzteil, schwarz - 750 Watt

I have a 6600K, GTX970 rig, 16GB ram, asus hero viii and samsung evo 500GB. So its not that huge of a load and I know those will be overkill. I just wonder how these new superflowers are compare to my goldenking 500w, especially when the fans turn on and how noisy/fast they spin if they ever go on... I can't seem to find much information about them. I saw an OC3D.NET review saying the 1000watt version was quite noisy :S

Gunbuster

Re: New PSU

Post by Gunbuster » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:52 pm

Hi welcome to SPCR.

I'm no expert, so please bare anything I say with a pinch of salt.

The Leadex platform is also used by EVGA. So I'd consider the 850 P2 to be similar to the Leadex 750w you mention http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?na ... y&reid=444

Looking at the back the fan curve well isn't. Its a pretty quick jump from 0 to 750rpm and then on 1500rpm. Thats a shame.

That said get one and tell us all about it ;)

If you don't like it at that price ebay is your friend.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:50 pm

karkee wrote:Hey yesterday my superflower golden king 550w went to heaven

Sorry for the OT, but given it was a well built unit, apparently it lasted quite a few time... do you mind to explain a bit further, as far as you know, why/how it's dead? In case, thanks for sharing.

karkee wrote:I just wonder how these new superflowers are compare to my goldenking 500w, especially when the fans turn on and how noisy/fast they spin if they ever go on... I can't seem to find much information about them. I saw an OC3D.NET review saying the 1000watt version was quite noisy :S

AFAIK OC3D.NET reviewed the 1200W version (which has a rather more conservative/aggressive fan profile, with reference to the whole Leadex lineup), but definitely the Leadex high speed fans (1800-2000rpm) are a step back from the mid speed Golden King ones (1200-1500rpm), so that, when the fan kicks in, it's rather noticeable (when not plainly loud). As a guess estimate, you can't expect they kick in under 800rpm in ECO mode (probably around 400W with low intake/ambient temp), given the 1800rpm and 5V starting voltage of the proposed models.

Said that, the Leadex Gold 650W and 750W have the best fan profile of the Gold line up, while the Gold 850W is rather noisy, so I guess that even for the Platinums the 750W may be a better bet than the 850W (take note that usually Leadex Platinum units have a slightly more relaxed fan profile, over the Gold ones).

Gunbuster

Post by Gunbuster » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:34 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
Said that, the Leadex Gold 650W and 750W have the best fan profile of the Gold line up, while the Gold 850W is rather noisy, so I guess that even for the Platinums the 750W may be a better bet than the 850W (take note that usually Leadex Platinum units have a slightly more relaxed fan profile, over the Gold ones).
Do you know if that goes for the EVGA versions? like the G2 and P2? or purely a Superflower deal?

I'm trialing an Corsair AX750i from a friend (essentially a free upgrade) and to be honest I prefer to the sounds of my ancient CM Silent Pro M 600w. No random high pitch noises and the fans have a neutral sound (just wind noise really). Rather than the Chhhhhhhhh of the Corsair, semi-passive or no.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:09 am

Gunbuster wrote:Do you know if that goes for the EVGA versions? like the G2 and P2? or purely a Superflower deal?

As far as I know they use usually the same ball bearing fans, so they should perform quite similarly (if not pretty much the same).

Gunbuster wrote:I'm trialing an Corsair AX750i from a friend

I don't understand well, as the AX750i doesn't exist (AFAIK): may it be an AX760i (Flextronics), or an HX750i (CWT)? Or even an AX760 (Seasonic)? They are all semi-passive, but with different fans and controller (fan profile): by the way, if I recall correctly, your old CM PSU, at least up to 200W, should be very good/excellent.

Gunbuster

Post by Gunbuster » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:12 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
Gunbuster wrote:Do you know if that goes for the EVGA versions? like the G2 and P2? or purely a Superflower deal?

As far as I know they use usually the same ball bearing fans, so they should perform quite similarly (if not pretty much the same).

Gunbuster wrote:I'm trialing an Corsair AX750i from a friend

I don't understand well, as the AX750i doesn't exist (AFAIK): may it be an AX760i (Flextronics), or an HX750i (CWT)? Or even an AX760 (Seasonic)? They are all semi-passive, but with different fans and controller (fan profile): by the way, if I recall correctly, your old CM PSU, at least up to 200W, should be very good/excellent.
Probably the AX760i as it has corsair link. Sorry for my foggy memory.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:43 am

Gunbuster wrote:Probably the AX760i as it has corsair link. Sorry for my foggy memory.

If it were the AX760i, the relevant fanless operation range should last about 170W, not that much, neither the fan is a particularly good sounding one (though from what you said, that fan might also be defective/worn).

The EVGA G2 750/SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W can run fanless up to 350-400W, so I think they are a much better option. The same thing stands for the Corsair RM650i/RM750i.

My personal preference, however, still goes to fully fanned PSUs, but unfortunately they are all overpriced (BeQuiet E10/P11 and Enermax Platimax).

Gunbuster

Post by Gunbuster » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:55 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
Gunbuster wrote:Probably the AX760i as it has corsair link. Sorry for my foggy memory.

If it were the AX760i, the relevant fanless operation range should last about 170W, not that much, neither the fan is a particularly good sounding one (though from what you said, that fan might also be defective/worn).

The EVGA G2 750/SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W can run fanless up to 350-400W, so I think they are a much better option. The same thing stands for the Corsair RM650i/RM750i.

My personal preference, however, still goes to fully fanned PSUs, but unfortunately they are all overpriced (BeQuiet E10/P11 and Enermax Platimax).
Okay cheers, that answers some questions.

To the OP, I think the 750w platinum sounds like a really good option.

karkee

Post by karkee » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:42 am

Hey sorry for late answer, have been busy fixing servers and on the road and home back late :(

Well I just want the same as my golden king, the fan almost never turned on and when it did it was so silent.

Also I had many seasonics in the past for me and clients and also corsairs, and I have never had one that didnt have some coilwhine. While the first golden king I had was working without any! Thats why I thought why not order another one again...

The PSU doesnt do anything anymore, don't want to spend time as I have none at the moment to fix it or look inside whats going on :(

Its not that I really really want a superflower... I just have been having no coilwhine from the PSU with them (golden king, have had 2 of them.. one still working fine in other PC). But I don't really want the fan to turn on when gaming ... having an I5 6600K , asus Hero VIII, 16GB ram and GTX970. And thats what my superflower golden king did, I can't remember it ever turning on.

So with that in mind if you can recommend any better I am open for suggestions ... I guess the leadex 750w platinum will never turn on either if it only starts at 350/400w load.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:10 am

karkee wrote:Well I just want the same as my golden king, the fan almost never turned on and when it did it was so silent.
Personally I'd look for the Super Flower Golden SIlent (the fanless Golden KIng), then, instead of those Leadex.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:22 am

karkee wrote: also corsairs, and I have never had one that didnt have some coilwhine.

Never had/see coilwhine with Corsair RM/RMi (and do not mix PSU coil whine with GPU coil whine or mobo coil whine).

karkee

Post by karkee » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:38 am

And what would you recommend currently that is identical or almost identical to my golden king? (with a fan that is).

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:00 am

karkee wrote:And what would you recommend currently that is identical or almost identical to my golden king? (with a fan that is).

There's nothing like the Golden King in SF lineup: the various Leadex (Gold, Platinum, Titanium, EVGA G2/P2) have a worst fan (higher speed) and a more conservative (aggressive) fan profile (though the Golden Silent does not need a fan, it survived the SPCR torture chamber with flying colours).

Nowadays, noise-wise, perhaps the closer (to the Golden King) semi-fanless PSU is probably the freshly released Corsair RM650i (but that's just my own educated guesswork). Some reviews about it are:

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:07 pm

According to the eTeknix review the fan of the Corsair RM650i was turning on at around 40% load and by the 60% point was hitting around 600rpm, from there it increased to a maximum of around 1000rpm. But their test of the Super Flower Leadex Platinum 750w switched to ECO mode showed the fan not even turning on until 60% load. Even when the fan did turn on it did not exceed 900 rpm. So it seems to me that the Leadex Platinum would be a closer match to the Golden King noise-wise provided that ECO mode is used. It might be worth noting that the Corsair is only a Gold unit.

karkee

Post by karkee » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:13 pm

Hmm yeah indeed, I don't really know that site very well could I trust it? :o

I think its about the same in the golden king for the fan kicking in... also keeping in mind that it will probably never turn on than even when on full load? (for my specs I mean)

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Kingwin/LZP-550/ -> this is the old curve from the golden king 550w, either I am to tired or dumb but it seems that the leadex 750w platinum is about the same or even slightly better?

the thing I am scary about is that all superflowers PSU's I have had and sold to friends or used never had any coil whine.

And I can tell you that I have never heard a corsair PSU that did not have coilwhine or buzzing (the seasonic based ones), same for seasonic actually and im talking about +- 40/50 samples.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:03 pm

lodestar wrote:According to the eTeknix review the fan of the Corsair RM650i was turning on at around 40% load and by the 60% point was hitting around 600rpm, from there it increased to a maximum of around 1000rpm.

What you're saying is not correct at all, as clearly showed by eTeknix graph: the Corsair fan does not start at 40% of rated wattage, it is just off at 40% and, depending of the temperature, that fan starts around 50%, and then it tops around 850rpm, not around 1000rpm but just some hair less than how high the SF fan just starts spinning over the 60% of rated power in the eTeknix review.

As you were already told, eTeknix doesn't record the fan profile, they just log all data at 5 given power draw ("Testing each power supply at 20/40/60/80/100% load... Measuring fan speed after a stabilisation period of five minutes at each load scenario"), so the "fan curve" in their graph actually does not exist, and you can't say anything between the five load points.

lodestar wrote:But their test of the Super Flower Leadex Platinum 750w... the fan did turn on it did not exceed 900 rpm.

More correctly, it starts some hair below 900rpm then stay flat (depending of the temperature: with higher temperature it starts at higher speed and then step up to much faster spinning if needed), while the the Golden King 1200rpm fan started around 650-750rpm.

I'm starting to think that you purposedly misinterprets their data, but in case that's just fool.

karkee wrote:Hmm yeah indeed, I don't really know that site very well could I trust it?

Well, I wouldn't simply trust their assessments, but at the same time I'd look at the data they show comparatively (I mean, with reference to other web sources, that's why I quoted you more than one review) as they may help to build your own feeling/impression about a PSU (given the absence of an SPCR review).

Just as an example, if you look at eTeknix recent Seasonic Platinum 660 review, according to their data in normal mode the fan starts running above 800rpm and they said "this is pretty amazing, not only did the fan run at a little over 800RPM right up to 80% load, but even when it kicked up to 1200RPM it was still surprisingly quiet.". Then, talking about the hybrid (semi-fanless) operation mode they said "In hybrid mode, the fan didn’t kick in at all which is pretty amazing, as this ran like a 660W fanless unit. To make things even more interesting, we had the PSU under full load and on a fairly warm day too. Of course, it won’t stay off forever or after a few hours of gaming at high load"
I own this particular PSU and I can share some recent experiences (july-august-semptember): with reference to normal cooling mode (fan always on) the PSU is clearly audible, and though not obtrusive it drowns out two Noctua 140mm fan running over 750rpm, so that personally I wouldn't call it as that quiet. When used in hybrid cooling the Seasonic Platinum 660 fan starts running around 310W AC (roughly 280W DC, way lower than their 660W DC) and it is quite more audible than in normal cooling mode, so I think the fan spins noticeably faster than >800rpm.

These first hand experiences show me how much I can trust their assessments (not that much, IMO): in my experience they may be useful, but they're not that trustworthy, particularly with reference to their subjective judgements (as that's SPCR, not the average enthusiast community).

About the Golden King/Leadex differences: the Leadex have sort of a stepped fan controller, the Golden King a more granular, "curvy" one; the Leadex fan starts higher (850-950rpm, depending of the temperature), the Golden King started lower (650-750rpm); the Leadex fan is faster (rated at 1800rpm IIRC), thus it has a different motor characteristics with reference to the slower (1200rpm) Golden King's one, with somehow different noise spectrum at a given speed.

So, if you're looking for a PSU capable of running fanless up to about 500W DC at low intake temp (as the Golden King did), I guess that you may either opt for a larger EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000 (still a SF Leadex Platinum, if you mind), or opt for the already adviced Super Flower Golden Silent (still a SF Golden King, but without any fan).

Otherwise, with explicit reference to the 2011 SPCR review of the SF Golden King and the relevant hotbox data set, whether you want a semi-fanless PSU capable of running fanless up to about 350-400W DC with almost any ambient temperature, and with the fan starting above that mark at around 6-700rpm, something like the Corsair RM650i may be rather close to such performances (and it's not Seasonic based, if you mind). The larger SF Leadex 750 (either Platinum or Gold) may also offer a similar (at higher than 22°C ambient temp) or a tad larger (at 22°C) fanless range with the fan starting higher and noisier than 6-700rpm, in case.

Hope this helps.

karkee

Post by karkee » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:15 am

Hey Luca,

Thanks for your input! If I am in Italy again I can come and get you some beer! :D (been there already 3 times this year :p)

Back on topic... I came to almost same conclusion last night, that website put me on a google search. The leadex seems to have a very agressive fan , seeing from other users (some with a gold version) the fan seem to turn on quite often during mild load. So that is probably not going to be close to my golden king. I found it weird because I really liked superflower so much in the past. Though the leadex 750w might indeed be closer to the 750RMi but its hard to tell from all data I could find...

Now that you brought up the EVGA, I have seen it indeed can run fanless untill quite some high wattage. Even though it is huge overkill but it seems that if I take that one the fan will never turn on with my specs (6600K, GTX970, one SSD).

So now I have to pick between the EVGA (that I will be sure fan wont turn on), https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVG ... 000/6.html

Or I have to take the corsair that will be really close to my golden king , or take a gamble and go for the leadex :/

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:27 am

karkee wrote:So now I have to pick between the EVGA (that I will be sure fan wont turn on), https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVG ... 000/6.html

Or I have to take the corsair that will be really close to my golden king , or take a gamble and go for the leadex :/
I don't fully understand why the SF Golden Silent (reviewed as Rosewill Silent Night here on SPCR) cannot be a good match for your need, by the way, in my experience the current Leadex platform (EVGA G2 750, so Leadex Gold) is somehow stronger dependant of ambient temp than the previous generation (Golden King). Another issue I noted more than once from other users is that the Leadex fan controller is somewhat more prone to fail (this thing also happened to our co-forumer doveman with another EVGA G2 750).

I don't know how warm Belgium and your home/office is, but whether your usual ambient temp is a tad warmer than 22-24°C, there's a chance you can trigger the ECO mode start with the Leadex, particularly with prolonged loads (I guess > 2hrs), and then the typical thermal hysteresis of the SF fan controller might cause some annoyance, but it's not mandatory. High environmental humidity may also alter the heat resilience of the Leadex fan controller.

Said that, for a PSU coil whine free experience those SF Leadex Gold/Platinum, and Corsair RM/RMi are currently the safest bets, and definitely either you will opt for a Leadex Platinum 750, or for a RM750i, I guess you are going to be satisfied, noise-wise (the same it goes for the P2 1000, though at a considerable higher initial cost). With reference to electrical performances, they are among the best units in the market (both better than the Golden King), while CaseKing (SF EU distributor) and Corsair usually offer a fair service within the warranty period (I can't speak about EVGA, but they are usually highly regarded in the world for their customer service).

karkee

Post by karkee » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:45 am

Well now that I have seen the EVGA P2 1000, I am hooked on it and will take the white sleeved cables with it I think.

Seeing the techpowerup review, with my specs the fan should never turn on ? And while it is a superflower based unit, I think I am pretty save there to in terms of chance on coil whine.. I mean the same chance of having a leadex or corsair.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:55 am

karkee wrote:Seeing the techpowerup review, with my specs the fan should never turn on ?

It somehow depends of your specific GTX 970, but your expected stock gaming power draw is way lower, around just above the 200W DC mark. Heavily OC'ing (and/or using some power hungry 970s, like the Gigabyte G1 or MSI Gaming) may take it to just above 300W DC mark, but never close to the P2 1000 capacity (>500W DC per TPU data).

karkee wrote:I mean the same chance of having a leadex or corsair.

Yes.

karkee

Post by karkee » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:57 am

Ok thanks so much for help will put an order on the EVGA than :-) And yes have a MSI Gaming GTX970 . But still like you said I will never get close to that output so the fan will stay off, and while I am at it I will order some nice cables for it.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:03 am

karkee wrote:Ok thanks so much for help will put an order on the EVGA than :-)

But check twice your actual PSU clearance, I think that PSU is deeper than your now defunct Golden King. :wink:

karkee

Post by karkee » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:26 am

Yeah going to check in the Fractal R5 if it fits before ordering. It seems to fit perfect seeing some builds with it.

Oh well I think I will go for it I know its huge overkill for what I need but seeing it this way the fan will never turn on thats one and I can hope for no coil whine...

Otherwise with the Leadex and Corsair , I can never be sure if the fan will turn on or not... if I had to choose between these 2 I would have gone for the corsair as indeed the leadex has a higher RPM from the start and it seems to turn on quite fast according to some (faster than the corsair atleast...).

karkee

Post by karkee » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:56 pm

Got the EVGA 1000P2, such a good unit... I can hear some faint electricity noise when almost putting your ear next to it. Almost same as my golden king that is now hanging up on my wall as souvenir :D

Got some red and black cables for the build also should be here soon to.

Now I just have to fix my coil whine on MSI GTX 970, I think its going away... its quite annoying! In CS GO for example it buzzes/coil whines like crazy. Don't even know if I am going to play the send and back return even though I buy my hardware directly from distri . I think I might try a GTX980 and hope the coilwhine is better, it seems people have less problems with it even though it is HUGE overkill for what I need...

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:03 pm

karkee wrote: In CS GO for example it buzzes/coil whines like crazy.
Try limiting the framerate and see if the whine goes away.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:28 pm

karkee wrote:Now I just have to fix my coil whine on MSI GTX 970

Given that whining is likely a resonance in the GPU's VRM caps (and not coils), and given that you're getting custom cables, you might try to alter that resonance with a mod like this on PEG connectors: http://www.overclock.net/t/1180276/gtx- ... t_18003703

It does not work every time, nonetheless it did rather often.

karkee

Post by karkee » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:13 am

I think these are already in the normal cables of EVGA?

I am going to return this MSI GTX 970 anyway, and will get a credit note from distri instantly.

But the question ofcourse is what to take, there is no difference in asus or msi in coilwhine. All I can find is that the GTX980 might have less, but its hard to know. It is also less sold compare to the 970... if the 980 has less problems I could play the send and return game till I get a good one IF there is less chance on an 980 to have it.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:27 am

karkee wrote:I think these are already in the normal cables of EVGA?

Unfortunately no, the EVGA cables caps are polymer ones, which are (that's why I said "unfortunately") much smaller than needed to cure the GPU whining (they are a trick meant to minimize PSU ripple before equipment VRM).

karkee wrote:All I can find is that the GTX980 might have less, but its hard to know.

I'm sorry: I heard of that too, but definitely I can't help about.

Bearmann

Post by Bearmann » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:27 am

It may have been mentioned in the previous discussion, but the EVGA's (and I think the Seasonic Hybrids) have a switch on the back that lets you run the fan all the time if you desire. EVGA calls it ECO mode as I recall.

karkee

Post by karkee » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:42 am

Yes I know, but why would I want that :D I rather have no noise than noise :p It runs nice now with the eco mode on, fan does not turn on. The EVGA is worth every penny. I hoped to be able to same the same about the 970.

Its just the GTX970 under load that buzzes / small pitch noise.

To be hounest sometimes I hate computer hardware :-) and makes me want to forget about having a workstation / gaming rig together. I swear I don't want to play any game with a card like that, its annoying as hell. Its not that I game that often though maybi like 2/5hours a week, the rest the rig is used for coding and system admin stuff but still... almost been thinking of just not playing any game anymore just because of that and get myself an iMac but than im limited to the screens I want to use lol

Ok I know I am whining and coil whine has been there for long time, but it is stupid to have low noise PC if you have that noise.

I am going to get a GTX980 to test from MSI, and if it doesn't work I am going to put them on fire I swear to god :D Instead of fun coupons it will fun card coupons!