Need 80+ PSU for Half-Height HTPC - New Styles Not Working

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

SqueakyDog

Need 80+ PSU for Half-Height HTPC - New Styles Not Working

Post by SqueakyDog » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:20 pm

Our HTPC PSU (Antec Earthwatts 430 w/ 80mm fan on back) finally died after almost 8 years of continued use - usually running 24x7 (can't complain).

My problem now is that all the decent 80+ (or better) PSU's under $90 have the big fan on the top (or bottom depending on how you mount it). Unfortunately my HTPC half-height ATX case - Ahnix MCE30S-V - doesn't have air-holes above the PSU.

I bought a Thermal Take, but the case-top was starving the PSU of air and subsequently heated up the PSU and the fan was running at max - very loud.

So, do I buy a cheap old-school no-name inefficient crappy PSU for $19 w/ 80mm fan and say the heck with it, or do I drill a 4.5" hole on the top of the case? Or, is there an alternative PSU that I haven't found? Fanless is too expensive, and I'm sure I'll need a fan because of somewhat confined space. Noise and efficiency are definitely issues.

I'm worried that if I cut a big hole in the top that it might let some of the case-noise seep out (maybe not, not sure).

QUIET!

Re: Need 80+ PSU for Half-Height HTPC - New Styles Not Worki

Post by QUIET! » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:45 pm

If you look hard, sometimes you can find new old stock 80+ silver or gold Dell PSUs with 80mm fans and about 230 watt rating.

Research is required because some have oddball motherboard connectors and usually they are missing things like PCIe 12v connectors. The wires can be short too.

If you don't mind splicing wires and sleeving cables, they can work out well for a low power computer but there is work involved.

boost

Post by boost » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:35 pm

You can still buy an Antec Earthwatts PSU.

The SilverStone Strider Series 300W SFX12V is a semi-passive SFX PSU that comes with a ATX bracket. The fan would not be flush with the case and might not be starved.

A TFX PSU like the Sea Sonic SS-350TGM could also work. The mounting holes don't line up with those of a ATX PSU. You could repurpose the back panel of your old, broken PSU as a bracket for a TFX PSU with some modding and close the back of the case.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:15 pm

boost wrote:You can still buy an Antec Earthwatts PSU.

And they are 80plus Bronze, nowadays (though I remember it as being not that obtrusive, but not exactly quiet, so that it deserves a fan swap).

SqueakyDog

Post by SqueakyDog » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:32 am

I ended up cutting a big 4.25" hole in the top of the case for a new Cooler Master V550w semi modular. Seems quiet enough but it will provide no case cooling function, which was my main concern about cutting the hole.

Should I worry?

HTPC - half height ATX case
AMD Phenom 945 (main heat maker)
2-gig ram
2-HDDs
Radeon R5 2GB video
hauppauge dual tuner card

sschnee

Post by sschnee » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:03 am

Does your HTCP draw too much power for a Pico PSU?