Corsair RMx series PSUs: quiet operation but without Link

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

quest_for_silence

Corsair RMx series PSUs: quiet operation but without Link

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:11 pm

Though personally I supposed the CS-M series would have taken the original RM-series role in Corsair PSUs lineup, it won't be so.

Corsair has silently released their new RMx-series PSUs: as far as I know, the new series is a Newegg exclusive in U.S.A., but in the rest of the world it will replace RM as current inventory is depleated.

The RMx units will share the same high performance RMi platform (made by CWT), with the same "Type 4" cables as seen on RMi (Corsair's previous PSUs sport the "Type 3", not fully compatible), but without the Corsair's Link digital interface and configured only as a 12V single-rail unit, for a slightly reduced MSRP over the RMi PSUs.

Latest and welcomed bonus, the freshly released RMx-series will carry a new 550W unit (with 2 PEG connectors), not present in the RMi-series.

CA_Steve

Re: Corsair RMx series PSUs: quiet operation but without Lin

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:07 am

Hopefully, the RMx 550 will drop below $100.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:33 am

CA_Steve wrote:Hopefully, the RMx 550 will drop below $100.

Just as a side note: I think it won't be enough for Corsair (though good for some informed customers).
I've seen recently the EVGA G2 at $70 AMIR, rather tough to beat (EVGA is heavily dumping the enthusiast PSU market, at least there).

Bearmann

Post by Bearmann » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:03 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
CA_Steve wrote:Hopefully, the RMx 550 will drop below $100.

Just as a side note: I think it won't be enough for Corsair (though good for some informed customers).
I've seen recently the EVGA G2 at $70 AMIR, rather tough to beat (EVGA is heavily dumping the enthusiast PSU market, at least there).
Today I think you can still get the EGVA Platinum 650 unit for $70 +/- tax at Newegg with promo code EMCAXNK26. I bought one yesterday (with the SPCR link) though it's a lot more power than I need. Hopefully, it won't be too far below 20% load with web browsing.

mascotzel

Post by mascotzel » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:03 am

Reviews @ kitguru for the 750 & 1000 W models.

xen
Friend of SPCR

Post by xen » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:27 am

So basically the RMx is superior to the RM?

I bought the RM because it looks nicer :p.

Dunno why else.

But it is rather a cheap item. If for no other reason than that the cables are not sleeved.

In my recollection I haven't recently had a PSU without sleeves.

The Tagan 330 that is still in my sig today was fully sleeved. My Nexus "Value" 430W has sleeved cables. The Corsair VS350 at 40 bucks has sleeved cables.

And now this Corsair has just cheap, flat, ribboned cables. This just sucks. I knew it beforehand but the other alternatives (and I was not looking at many brands, but still) also didn't have it. What's going on? This is my most expensive power supply by far.

Even the RMi line has only partly sleeved cables, and probably only because there are capacitors on the cables.

Not sure if I'm even going to open this package. Though my Seasonic S12II is starting to rot.

Sure I could sleeve it but it's just extra work and money and I don't know how well the rounding of the cables will turn out. This Seasonic has sleeved cables.

Every damn non-modular PSU has sleeved cables, but the premium (in a definite sense) modular ones don't ???.

Part of me just wants to smack the thing to let some feelings out ;-).

My PSU has no airflow outside of its own fan. For this reason I prefer a PSU with a fan always spinning at around the minimum, say 600 rpm.

Should I get a 650i instead? I don't need the wattage at all. But this way I can change the fan curve, which in principle I'd like to do. It's about 20 bucks more expensive than the RM.

I still just like the RM's overall design, its colours, looks, etc. Without a spinning fan, the only heat exchange will be with the outside really.

Much of its heat will get locked up in the lower chambre of my case (P180 mini). Additionally, if at some point I would place an optical drive in the lower chambre, there won't be any airflow around it. The upper chambre is length-limited because of the 200mm fan (for an optical drive). I'm not sure if this RM is really going to be a good match for me (or for this case).

Luca, if you're here, and If I'm allowed to shortcut this short thread with this message or question or request.

If I only go and choose between Antec, Corsair, and perhaps Silverstone.

And I want modular and I prefer sleeved.

And if fully modular is not that important but semi-modular is a nice perk.

If one 6-pin PCIe connector is going to be used, at least 4 sata, and perhaps 2 molex or maybe 3.

And if a minimal airflow is desired, what are my options?

RM and EDGE look great, but I know EDGE is noisy and a bit too lengthy for my case too (actually, both are too lengthy).

I prefer a bigger than 120mm fan.

The Silverstones I've looked at didn't qualify.
The low-profile, flat modular cable design reduces air friction and helps maximize airflow through your computer’s chassis.
I will say the air friction is pretty much nonsense unless you are capable of orienting the cables in the direction of the airflow or fixing them to the case with tape or those cable ties. Flat cables are harder to handle, they are more generating of static electricity, and they don't bend as easily, don't go around corners as easily. Especially for the CPU power cable I've always been extremely grateful that it was sleeved, but also for the main ATX connector. The RM line doesn't EVEN have sleeved ATX main.

The 8-pin CPU connector is also not split, the way it is on the VS350, making it harder to affix, and it won't even fit, I see now, because there is a component next to the 4-pin socket on my motherboard and the orientation of the plug causes it to interfere with that component.

Oops wrong, it can be split. Phew. Not sure why I'm hating on this thing so much.

I just think those cables are ultra cheap, they are said to be "stealth" but this is just the cheapest way to manufacture it: no coloured cables, etc. That, in turn, is going to give trouble if you want to mod a molex. Which is the 5 and which is the 12V? You won't know. Not unless you go on the web and keep a cheat sheet nearby. I see only trouble on the horizon.

My system draws 200W max probably. Okay maybe 250W. I think the RM550 starts at about 200W. I mean spinning. It does a little "higher" spin up at first, the way my MSI graphics card always does/did if I hold back the fan a little. This "jump start" will then be noticeable. Then it cools down and then it turns off again. And I don't know how often it is going to repeat this. Then again.

I haven't seen another PSU that I liked as much. The looks, but I would probably also like the fan sound. Modular is nice, but currently it comes at increased cost to your system. No sleeved cables.

No colour info on the cables.

Easy to take the PSU out though. This has always been a problem.

My other "like" was the Antec EDGE, but I know it is noisy (not from experience yet). I need to check my current PSU though cause the noise is driving me crazy. BBL. Putting more load on the thing reduces the coil whine, lol. That's why I haven't noticed it before.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:51 pm

xen wrote:So basically the RMx is superior to the RM?

Yes.

xen wrote:But it is rather a cheap item. If for no other reason than that the cables are not sleeved.

The RM-series units sport Type 3 flexforce flat cables, which are more expensive than most sleeved ones.

xen wrote:In my recollection I haven't recently had a PSU without sleeves.

Don't take offense but I think you should update your knowledge base before spiting up a product.

xen wrote:Even the RMi line has only partly sleeved cables, and probably only because there are capacitors on the cables.

Exactly, as well as the RMx-series: the more expensive HXi-series sports the same Type 3 cables you got on your RM550, go figure.

xen wrote:If I only go and choose between Antec, Corsair, and perhaps Silverstone.

And I want modular and I prefer sleeved.

And if fully modular is not that important but semi-modular is a nice perk.

If one 6-pin PCIe connector is going to be used, at least 4 sata, and perhaps 2 molex or maybe 3.

And if a minimal airflow is desired, what are my options?

Be Quiet Straight Power E10 500W CM... ops, it's not an Antec/Corsair/Silverstone... an Enermax Platimax 500... ops, again it's not Antec/Corsair/Silverstone... sorry, I don't recall other PSUs with those requirements, but among semi-passive units the Super Flower Leadex Platinum 550 or the EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650 should work fine.

xen wrote:I think the RM550 starts at about 200W.

In a working RM550 the fan starts above 320W, usually around 600rpm up to full power. With high ambient/intake temperature (it's not the case of an Antec P180 case) it starts at a faster pace.

xen
Friend of SPCR

Post by xen » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:19 pm

You don't have to go all "I know everything better" you know...

Just because you are a rational guy doesn't mean I'm wrong.

And just because something is more expensive, doesn't make it less cheap. You see what I mean?

Those "Flexforce" cables don't radiate quality at all. Most people that look at it would see a bag of cheap plastic.

Even the power cable they supply is made of a better plastic (at least better to the touch).

Just because people have a runaway fantasy about stealth cables doesn't make it superior.

So you can "prove" all you want that it is better, but that doesn't make it superior.

I have outlined my reasons, you don't have to ignore them either, and you don't have to ridicule my brand choice either.

Btw, here is techpowerup's picture of the fan speeds: (sounds)

of the RM650. It ramps up at 250W. You can see the little spike as it spins faster initially than it really needs to.

Ambient was pretty high though (30 degrees celcius). But given that number I would expect the 550 to spin up at a lower threshold.

But maybe that's just ambient difference. But without a spinning fan ambient would easily go up to 30 degrees in the case, probably, just from the PSU.

But I guess I believe you if you say it is different for most conditions?

By the way, the RM650i (now) has sleeves at least for PCIe and CPU as well:

Still looks like a pretty ugly material, but I guess it's better than entirely without.

So basically I can have this 650i for €120 at the cost of returning my 550 for €103 and paying maybe nothing for shipping.

It doesn't seem like a bad choice to me. I don't despise the fan control either.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:44 pm

xen wrote:You don't have to go all "I know everything better" you know...

No, I think you probably misunderstand: my answers were concise and at the same time aimed to be somehow precise.

xen wrote:Just because you are a rational guy doesn't mean I'm wrong.

It mainly depends of the words of choice: if you don't like flat ribbon cables, there's no issue, I don't like them either.
If you call them "cheap", they're not cheap, and they are used on lots of expensive PSUs, like the quoted HXi-series, or, for instance, the expensive Seasonic Platinum (so, basically, you're wrong calling them "cheap").
Moreover, as you may have noted, I didn't comment about you calling the RM as "cheap", because it's an overpriced but cheap unit.
Its main strenght is that it's really quiet.

xen wrote:And just because something is more expensive, doesn't make it less cheap. You see what I mean?

Just to be overzealous: cheap is the opposite of expensive, I think you're aware of that.
I guess you're also aware that I'm italian, and I am not able to promptly understand any subtle nuance coming from any irritated customer when expressed in written english. Not to mention you're dutch, IIRC, so english is not your own language too.
Eventually, please, be patient: I didn't mean to piss you off, but if you want to take offense, definitely it's just your problem, not mine, so feel free to go along that route but alone.

xen wrote:Those "Flexforce" cables don't radiate quality at all. Most people that look at it would see a bag of cheap plastic.

Those flat cables are what market demands nowadays, even if you and me don't like them.

xen wrote:So you can "prove" all you want that it is better, but that doesn't make it superior.

As said above, I didn't say a word about what is superior, just about what is cheap/not enough expensive, please give a rest to such a complain.

xen wrote:I have outlined my reasons, you don't have to ignore them either, and you don't have to ridicule my brand choice either.

I didn't put in ridicule your brands of choice: set aside Silverstone, Antec and Corsair are among my favourite ones, and I currently have some of their PSUs... I just pointed out that as far as I know none of those brands actually build a PSU which fulfill your expressed requirements.

xen wrote:of the RM650. It ramps up at 250W. You can see the little spike as it spins faster initially than it really needs to.

]Ambient was pretty high though (30 degrees celcius). But given that number I would expect the 550 to spin up at a lower threshold.

Well, no, it's not a matter of different celsius degrees, mostly of a different fan controller. The RM450 and RM550 have a different fan controller than the RM650, which is the worst "sounding" RM of the three different platform used (CWT, Chicony and CWT again).
You may check the different behaviour of your RM550 fan controller looking at PC Perspective and ComputerBase relevant reviews.

xen wrote:But maybe that's just ambient difference. But without a spinning fan ambient would easily go up to 30 degrees in the case, probably, just from the PSU.

More probably that not, no, particularly in the lower chamber of an Antec P180 and using a Gold-rated PSU: the only wasted heat there is what's due to conversion losses (20W?). On the contrary either a CPU or a GPU may easily dump hundreds of W in an enclosure, heating up the internals.

xen wrote:But I guess I believe you if you say it is different for most conditions?

No, as said above, the RM650 behaves differently from the smaller siblings.

xen wrote:By the way, the RM650i (now) has sleeves at least for PCIe and CPU as well:

I thought you already said that, or better, I understood so when I commented (in my previous post) that both the RMi and RMx sports the new, Type 4 cables (those partially sleeved).

xen wrote:Still looks like a pretty ugly material, but I guess it's better than entirely without.

I guess it's mostly a matter of personal preferences, you may think to replace them with aftermarket ones (though they're not cheap).

xen wrote:So basically I can have this 650i for €120 at the cost of returning my 550 for €103 and paying maybe nothing for shipping.

It doesn't seem like a bad choice to me. I don't despise the fan control either.

If you drop the requirement of a costantly spinning fan, currently the RMi/RMx is one of the best 500 watter in the market. Among similarly priced units, there should be a new FSP coming, the Hydro G (basically the platform used to build the Be Quiet P11), but I don't know the relevant fan profile, so I can't say whether it may be quiet or not.

xen
Friend of SPCR

Post by xen » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:42 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:No, I think you probably misunderstand: my answers were concise and at the same time aimed to be somehow precise.
You are pretty arrogant, you know that? But I guess you soften down the road.
It mainly depends of the words of choice: if you don't like flat ribbon cables, there's no issue, I don't like them either.
If you call them "cheap", they're not cheap, and they are used on lots of expensive PSUs, like the quoted HXi-series, or, for instance, the expensive Seasonic Platinum (so, basically, you're wrong calling them "cheap").
You should look at the RM's package, how utterly barren it is from a real value point of view. You say it is overpriced and I agree, but that nonwithstanding, just check the contents:

- cheapest possible tie wraps
- no documentation
- a bag containing the cables that you need to rip apart and won't be able to use any after unless you (uglily) tie it together again with tape.

Earlier I've had a Tagan PSU that came with like coloured, funny, removable tiewraps (not sure how to call them, the sticky stuff you see on shoes etc.) and that had amazing material.

The cables are cheap because even though from a certain perspective technically they may be sound or superior, from another technical perspective, the material used may very well be poisonous. It is a regression, not progress. Someone once said:

It is the mark of a primitive mind to view regression as progress.

So that is what I alluding to.

Apparently some people have thought that those cables have some electrical characteristics that are worth mentioning; I don't really care. But most in our society is regressing, if I now look at those cables of older PSUs, more thought has gone into them, for sure. It has been an evolution in design, and this current thing seems to be a fad. People have loved and enjoyed sleeved cables for decades and in areas where user experience or high value dominates, sleeved cables are still the only thing people want, usually, or that provides a premium to most people, think high end audio cables.

Then, even though perhaps some of that new cable design could be called superior, 90% of it is rotten crap. "Stealth" cables? Who came up with that... my regular sleeved yellow-and-red (and black) Seasonic cables look a 1000 times better. Personal preference perhaps but we are all the same people in the end and there is a common consensus about what looks good and what doesn't.

I think the Tagan looked best of all of what I've owned thus far.

So if you spend all of your energy on boosting some electrical characteristic, and go with some meaningless fad in every other aspect, then your end product is cheap even if a lot of people seem to pay a lot for it.

And I'm not talking of those electrical properties when I call it cheap. I am talking just about:
- external material
- choice to produce all-black ribboned cables like we're back with the flat IDE cables of beyond which we apparently are.

Hence it is regression.

Expensive is what the fool pays for it. That doesn't mean it is high quality. That doesn't mean a good amount of time and thinking has gone into it. Hence, since little was invested, it is cheap.

But if all you do is refute every claim I make, then yes you are claiming that this new thing is superior. If only by implication.

There would be no other reason to say those things, you see.

It's like someone decided that colours were not useful in product design; and we see this in Microsoft's lineage thus far and also in KDE Plasma 5.

People reduce icons and whatnot to a reduced monochrome colour set. You can bet Windows 10 feels a lot cheaper, and it definitely hasn't seen the kind of development (for QUALITY) that Windows 7 or Windows XP have had.

Things go wrong in Windows 10 that never went wrong before. The start menu half of the time stops working for a lot of people. It just won't open. That's not a product that has seen a lot of real love poured into it prior to release, or any date after. Still people will claim that it is "ahead" or "superior" or "it can do more" or whatever. So Microsoft dumped a lot of the old, a lot of what worked, and went with something butt ugly (the tiles). And nobody really likes it. It's flashy, it's modern, but it's alienating and hideous. And only because they wanted to marry tablet and pc.

Which is like a mistake to begin with, but that aside.

So you see the same kind of effect with these PSUs: a heritage of things that really worked, is being abandoned, in favour of something that has the air of advancement and superiority but that is really a detriment.

I have had more problems with Windows 10 in 2 months than I have had with Windows XP in perhaps 7 years.

I guess it's an experiment and that be as it may. Though I don't have to like or enjoy it, and neither does anyone else. I have never seen such a cheap packaging for these cables either (From Corsair, at this point).

That kinda goes to show, what their mindset is with these products. The cardboard box. Definitely lower quality than the Tagan. Even worse than the Nexus Value. I don't remember the other Corsair. That was not as bad.

So even though you may call these cables expensive because they are seen on expensive products, I really do believe they are extremely budget to produce. Just my gist, my hint. My suspect. My suspicion.

Though there is something fishy about the plastic. Outer layer. You should compare it to e.g. an Onkyo micro-set, how much care goes into that (relatively speaking).
Moreover, as you may have noted, I didn't comment about you calling the RM as "cheap", because it's an overpriced but cheap unit.
Its main strenght is that it's really quiet.
Sure but if a person says "The sky is warm" and you say "this part of the sky is cold" that serves to 'disparage' or 'dissuade' the person from saying these things. There is no reason for you to say that the sky is cold in some other part. That's like someone saying 'It's so hot in here!" and you say "If you go sit under that rock, it's cold." that is not really a friendly thing to do as if that means the previous statement was not true, by implication.

"It is not hot in here BECAUSE under that rock it is cool." is actually what you are saying.

You are just leaving out half the sentence that is actually implied.......

We call this context, you know.
xen wrote:And just because something is more expensive, doesn't make it less cheap. You see what I mean?

Just to be overzealous: cheap is the opposite of expensive, I think you're aware of that.
I guess I answered that.
I guess you're also aware that I'm italian, and I am not able to promptly understand any subtle nuance coming from any irritated customer when expressed in written english. Not to mention you're dutch, IIRC, so english is not your own language too.
That is irrelevant, your English is fine.
Eventually, please, be patient: I didn't mean to piss you off, but if you want to take offense, definitely it's just your problem, not mine, so feel free to go along that route but alone.
That is as hostile as you can get, right here.
xen wrote:Those "Flexforce" cables don't radiate quality at all. Most people that look at it would see a bag of cheap plastic.

Those flat cables are what market demands nowadays, even if you and me don't like them.
That doesn't prove anything.
xen wrote:So you can "prove" all you want that it is better, but that doesn't make it superior.

As said above, I didn't say a word about what is superior, just about what is cheap/not enough expensive, please give a rest to such a complain.
Please give a rest about acting all mighty then.
xen wrote:I have outlined my reasons, you don't have to ignore them either, and you don't have to ridicule my brand choice either.

I didn't put in ridicule your brands of choice
Yes you did, you framed it in such a way as to ridicule my perhaps stubborn insistence upon a threesome of brands.

Otherwise you wouldn't have needed to repeat those three brands verbatim, twice.

To begin with. That is just weakness.
: set aside Silverstone, Antec and Corsair are among my favourite ones, and I currently have some of their PSUs... I just pointed out that as far as I know none of those brands actually build a PSU which fulfill your expressed requirements.
That is fine, but I guess I already somewhat had that impression. Which is why I wouldn't have been able to find it myself. I still like the reference to some models that sport it, but really I guess I was saying it in this way to express some annoyance at the fact that I had already been looking for a long time and there seems to be so little choice.

And that maybe I was the stupid one and I had missed something.... :-/.
Well, no, it's not a matter of different celsius degrees, mostly of a different fan controller. The RM450 and RM550 have a different fan controller than the RM650, which is the worst "sounding" RM of the three different platform used (CWT, Chicony and CWT again).
Oh right, I forgot. Thanks.
You may check the different behaviour of your RM550 fan controller looking at PC Perspective and ComputerBase relevant reviews.
I guess I've been there. My memory of what I have done and said is not exactly outstanding these days, my apologies.
More probably that not, no, particularly in the lower chamber of an Antec P180 and using a Gold-rated PSU: the only wasted heat there is what's due to conversion losses (20W?). On the contrary either a CPU or a GPU may easily dump hundreds of W in an enclosure, heating up the internals.
I don't know (yet, from experience) you know. But the 100W from my CPU/system is enough to heat this entire room (about 3x4 meters [ not only that, but with a very high ceiling, about 48m³ in total ]) + bathroom from being very chilly to being quite nice. Or reasonably bearable. So yes I am talking of conversion losses but also the rare occassion that perhaps some optical drive would be spinning in the future.

It is an enclosed space and I would not know how much of the heat would get trapped in the space. Perhaps it is minor. It would probably raise the ambient temperature some 5 degrees. Over time. Celcius. But you're Italian :P. No I did not know.

In any case I prefer some airflow there.
No, as said above, the RM650 behaves differently from the smaller siblings.
Right, my apologies. I guess I was "disoriented" because the review mentioned the 750 and 850 models being "awfully slow in getting the fan running (paraphrased). But you mention the 450 and 550, the 650, and the higher ups, are different models.
xen wrote:By the way, the RM650i (now) has sleeves at least for PCIe and CPU as well:

I thought you already said that, or better, I understood so when I commented (in my previous post) that both the RMi and RMx sports the new, Type 4 cables (those partially sleeved).
Okay well I don't care about "types" but apparently Corsair does. But. I remember seeing an image of some model with only a sleeved ATX cable and may have mixed it up. I guess it was the CS-500M or something.
xen wrote:Still looks like a pretty ugly material, but I guess it's better than entirely without.

I guess it's mostly a matter of personal preferences, you may think to replace them with aftermarket ones (though they're not cheap).
I don't really see how you can prefer this, unless they are into the hype themselves; but then, lots of people are into iPads (and iPhones, etc.) that break upon impact. Some guy here had an iPhone and he is broke all the time. Due to some small accident he dropped it. Broken. One drop. Broken. From about 80cm. Like from a table, like that. Expensive things, weird problematic form factor, too big to carry, too expensive to keep, good for getting stolen, fragile, and nothing more than a sex toy in the sense of it only being "sexy" and not much else.

I'm sorry but I call that stupidity and going crazy for something that has not all that much value or worth. It is not really preference I think. Preference has to belong to your person. It is an individual thing. But these hypes and fads are not expressions of ones individuality.

Oscar Wilde once said: Fashion is a form of art so hideous we have to change it every six months ;-).

And funny thing, most people who are ignorant of computer details or said technology, will quickly intuitively assess the thing correctly. They will look at those cables and say "that is nothing special" or at that eggboard box and say "how cheap" and at the unit itself and say "hey this looks kinda nice". It is not special. To feel those things. It is special not to feel those things.

It is not special to dislike those cables. It is rather special and out of the ordinary, to do like them.
If you drop the requirement of a costantly spinning fan, currently the RMi/RMx is one of the best 500 watter in the market. Among similarly priced units, there should be a new FSP coming, the Hydro G (basically the platform used to build the Be Quiet P11), but I don't know the relevant fan profile, so I can't say whether it may be quiet or not.
Okay so now the real question here:

I can change the fan profile of the RMi right?

Using software right?

So I can set a minimum speed, right?

I think I am going to order it anyway (IF that is the case) and otherwise I might just sleeve those cables myself after all. Because a fan profile is pointless if you can't change the min speed.

According to this blog post The Corsair Link software does feature that. You can set fixed RPM and hence also minimum RPM, I'm sure.

Right?

Then I could get some sleeves from some high end audio retailer (not too expensive) and just fix that myself, perhaps. The plastic would still be rather nasty underneath, but it's not like you have that many choices in the market it seems.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:25 am

xen wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:No, I think you probably misunderstand: my answers were concise and at the same time aimed to be somehow precise.
You are pretty arrogant, you know that? But I guess you soften down the road.

It's just how you feel that: personally I don't find anything arrogant in the quoted words, and whether you think that, or you can't stand some frank or straight comment, I can't utterly take care of really anything you may think, all in all it's your problem, not mine.

xen wrote:So that is what I alluding to.
I don't get your point, particularly after my explanations: I didn't questioned your whole rant about the RM unit you have, if you think that the RM 550 is an either overpriced or not high quality unit, I didn't mind then, and I don't mind now, I don't put that into question.
I commented ONLY the remark about the cabling being cheap, and for a reason, I just corrected an affirmation about cheap cabling, nothing less but nothing more: Corsair didn't supply cheap cabling with that unit, period, those are the standard Corsair cables supplied with lots of their PSUs including the expensive ones, the same you'll find on the RMi (the ones without the caps).

xen wrote:There is no reason for you to say that the sky is cold in some other part. That's like someone saying 'It's so hot in here!" and you say "If you go sit under that rock, it's cold." that is not really a friendly thing to do as if that means the previous statement was not true, by implication.
OMG: I can't point out the cabling isn't cheap because that should imply you're wrong about everything else? What about a persecution complex, xen? Or just a groundless overreaction?

xen wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:I guess you're also aware that I'm italian, and I am not able to promptly understand any subtle nuance coming from any irritated customer when expressed in written english. Not to mention you're dutch, IIRC, so english is not your own language too.
That is irrelevant, your English is fine.

If the english language were really fine, then your mind-set would be not fine at all, pick your poison.

xen wrote:Please give a rest about acting all mighty then.

That's just another your wrong impression.

xen wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:I didn't put in ridicule your brands of choice
Yes you did, you framed it in such a way as to ridicule my perhaps stubborn insistence upon a threesome of brands.

Whether you can't accept what I already said trying to clear possible misunderstandings, I can't waste more time and words so vainly, again it's your problem, not mine.

xen wrote:It is an enclosed space and I would not know how much of the heat would get trapped in the space. Perhaps it is minor. It would probably raise the ambient temperature some 5 degrees. Over time. Celcius.

I'd be very curious to know how did you recorded that probably five Celsius degrees rising, because my own experience is apparently rather different: perhaps you might put a thermometer inside the PSU chamber, then repeat the experiment putting the same thermometer inside the upper chamber, and eventually doing the same leaving the thermometer far from your workstation.
Said that, if you want to stick to Corsair specs, up to 25°C *room* temperature there's no problem for the RM fanless operation range, and 25°C *room* temperature is really a lot. On the other hand, if you want to stick to RM reviews findings, there's no problem either for the RM fanless operation range (usually it last about the same)

xen wrote:Preference has to belong to your person. It is an individual thing. But these hypes and fads are not expressions of ones individuality.

So what? Is it an elitist reasoning about persons and preferences? You don't like those cables, for your own reasons and that's your own preference. I don't like them because of their stiffness, for instance, but I don't mind how they look: it's my own preference.
Actually the main reason behind the spreading of flat ribbon cabling is, as far as I know, an aesthetical one: they look different from sleeved ones and lots of people liked/preferred that (or Corsair, CM, Seasonic, and several other players think so). That's their own preference.

xen wrote:I can change the fan profile of the RMi right?

Using software right?

So I can set a minimum speed, right?

I don't know how exactly this thing work: differently from the blog info you linked (which is referred to an AIO), you can set in the Corsair Link just a fixed percentage of the PSU fan rated speed (or the "default" behaviour).
Then, whether the fan will spin at that costant pace regardless of any boundary condition, or whether it will ramp up from this offset according to the intake temp (as I'd expect due to OTP), whether this setting is permanently stored in the PSU (as I'd expect), or whether you need the software set it at every reboot, I'm sorry but I can't help for sure. Just ask to Corsair customer support, I guess they should be able to clear all your doubts about that.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:54 pm

xen wrote:So I can set a minimum speed, right?

I think I am going to order it anyway (IF that is the case) and otherwise I might just sleeve those cables myself after all. Because a fan profile is pointless if you can't change the min speed.

According to this blog post The Corsair Link software does feature that. You can set fixed RPM and hence also minimum RPM, I'm sure.

Right?
Just FYI (and for those who'll come): I asked, and if I didn't misunderstood, the "fixed percentage" setting in the Corsair Link only sets a minimum RPM (so, whether the fan controller feels the need to run the fan faster, then it will do). The minimum allowed duty cycle for the end user should be 40% PWM, with the fan expected to stay from 500rpm to 700rpm. Given that the PSU has not an EEPROM to store this setting, if AC were cut, then you will need to re-apply the setting (and that may be of some annoyance if you run other OS than Windows).

About the RMi fan controller expected behaviour, unless the fan actually suck more hot air inside the unit, for instance because the intake is facing upwards (or downwards in an inverted ATX setup with top PSU mounting), right up against an hot graphics card or something pushing hot air, it's unlikely that the fan will ramp up from that 40% PWM, as the provided airflow is considered adequate to keep the heat moving away from the PSU.

Well, hope this helps your choice (and, in case, please report us)!

Behemot

Post by Behemot » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:56 am

You guys, if you've missed it, I got the review of the RM550x out at Hardware Insights a month ago :)

xen
Friend of SPCR

Post by xen » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:49 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:Just FYI (and for those who'll come): I asked, and if I didn't misunderstood, the "fixed percentage" setting in the Corsair Link only sets a minimum RPM (so, whether the fan controller feels the need to run the fan faster, then it will do). The minimum allowed duty cycle for the end user should be 40% PWM, with the fan expected to stay from 500rpm to 700rpm. Given that the PSU has not an EEPROM to store this setting, if AC were cut, then you will need to re-apply the setting (and that may be of some annoyance if you run other OS than Windows).

About the RMi fan controller expected behaviour, unless the fan actually suck more hot air inside the unit, for instance because the intake is facing upwards (or downwards in an inverted ATX setup with top PSU mounting), right up against an hot graphics card or something pushing hot air, it's unlikely that the fan will ramp up from that 40% PWM, as the provided airflow is considered adequate to keep the heat moving away from the PSU.

Well, hope this helps your choice (and, in case, please report us)!
Thank you. I also asked Corsair, but not very specific, and they just mentioned I could set a fixed or mininum RPM in the software. As you say, I probably expect it to be a software-only thing. But then again, using a 650i in place of a 550 will raise the level at which the fan starts spinning harder again. I haven't acquired the unit yet. I still need to return the 550 though, if that's what I want.

It's strange that if they feel these units can run fanless at say up to 300W, that they don't simply produce fanless units ;-).

I'm not going to respond to all the points in the previous post, that is too long ago. I will just say that if you disrespect someone, that is not just "their problem". Try that often enough and you will get smacked in the face, then you'll see if it's just "the other person's problem" as your teeth are bleeding from your mouth.

There's a whole lot of people that feel as if they are free to treat another as they wish, and there is also a whole lot of people who find out that they are wrong about that.

No matter if in this faggoty society the law often supports these kind of people.

Behemot

Post by Behemot » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:53 pm

Fanless units usually have much higher RMA rate. Besides, it depends on the temperature, if it is too high, it starts spinning sooner.