Are Seasonic 520W fanless PSUs still emiting coil whine?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

memory_leak

Are Seasonic 520W fanless PSUs still emiting coil whine?

Post by memory_leak » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:44 pm

I am into buyin one of those, but as I read few reviews I understand that many users have experienced their units to emit high pitch background noise. There is discussion about the issue in techpowerup review of the psu, as well as on youtube (recording provided), and as I understand even the unit spcr reviewed exhibited same. As i read from addendum it took 3rd sample to get a silent unit. Most of those discussions date back to late 2012 and early 2013, so I wonder if situation has changed? Is there anyonone who purchased one of those recently? Any experiences as of lately?

Abula

Re: Are Seasonic 520W fanless PSUs still emiting coil whine?

Post by Abula » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:40 pm

Its hard to say, even back in the day was not all, i have had a lot seasonics over the past 4 years (two SS-860XP2, X660, X400, and have used Seasonic G550 in multiple builds for friends) none to me have showed any percieblable coil whine, to me its more the combination of certain hardware, and coil whine can happen to any PSU, so its a matter of luck.

Another good alternative that i seen less comments about coil whine is the Superflower Silent 500W, that you can also find the the flavors of Kingwin Striker 500 or Rosewill SilentNight 500, it was reviewed two time by SPCR, both times got the editors choice
Rosewill Silent Night 500 Platinum 80 Plus
Fanless PSUs: Kingwin Stryker STR-500 & Silverstone ST50NF

Was also reviewed by big PSU sites like
JonnyGuru Reviews - Super Flower Golden Silent 500W Fanless
Techpowerup Rosewill SilentNight 500 W
HardwareSecrets Rosewill SilentNight 500 W Power Supply Review
[H]ardOCP Kingwin Stryker STR500 Power Supply Review

Most of the reviews critics are toward the absence of an MOV.

I still think you should consider a EVGA Supernova P2 650W, its a very good PSU, you can read more on JonnyGuru Reviews - EVGA Supernova P2 650W, if by any reason my Seasonic SS-860XP2 were to fail, the 850W version is what i would buy atm.

Good luck with the choice, if you go with Sesonic post your comments to see if you were lucky with a coil free unit.

nagi

Post by nagi » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:52 pm

memory_leak wrote:I am into buyin one of those, but as I read few reviews I understand that many users have experienced their units to emit high pitch background noise. There is discussion about the issue in techpowerup review of the psu, as well as on youtube (recording provided), and as I understand even the unit spcr reviewed exhibited same. As i read from addendum it took 3rd sample to get a silent unit. Most of those discussions date back to late 2012 and early 2013, so I wonder if situation has changed? Is there anyonone who purchased one of those recently? Any experiences as of lately?
It is not exatly the same, but I just got a X-400 from amazon UK. My original X-400 never exhibited any kind of coil whine ever.

This one does, although not the usual way: the whine is not a whine but more like a broadband white noise hiss, and is only audible very close up (less than a feet, 3 am in the morning, etc). So the noise profile is more like that of a quiet fan. It is inaudible at 2-3 feet.

I'll be setting it up in a proper mini-PC in a couple days, so I'll report back how it goes. (I only attached it to an old first gen intel core mobo that was lying around, without any HDD, cards or a case.) I tried recording it, but frankly, it is either inaduble with the baseline noise of the mic, or the occasional bird chirping outside drones it out even when the mic is directly next to the PSU.

memory_leak

Post by memory_leak » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:00 am

Ok, I think I will give it a try, and if it does not work as expected I guess I can replace it for something more conventional.Thanks for informative post.